This season has been positive

Almost 2 years ago we were 1 game away from winning promotion after the best season we had since probably 96/97.

The 16/17 season we were found out, we never strengthened in the areas we needed to, signed too many strikers, the whole squad was unbalanced, performances were not great, probably the worst thing we did in fact was go on that run after Easter of 6 or 7 straight wins to seal 4th, all that did was paper over the long term cracks that were appearing, Carlos had done very well in the first season but we ignored his faults in his 2nd season, this was confirmed when we played an out of form Huddersfield in the play-offs & Carlos tactical gamble over the 2 legs backfired, the warning alarms were louder than the tanoy at Hillsborough yesterday, he should have gone then, thanks for the memories but you've failed twice Carlos, let someone else have a go. But nope, Chansiri is charmed by the charmer that is Carlos & is given a new deal.

17/18 pre-season is here, under Carlos, we go again, 3rd time lucky... we needed to strengthen in the same positions as 12 months ago, we needed experienced CB & pace! We signed George Boyd.

After a disastrous performance against Preston & a miserable first half of the season he finally left, thank god! for me it was 6 months too late or if you're being very kind 3 months too late (after pigs defeat)

Now we are 2 games away from the season finishing, in 15th place, at best we can get 12th but unlikely as we are playing the best team in the world on Saturday. Would you really call this season a disaster? not for me when I look back, we've learnt so much & we are a better team for it... 

Carlos has gone! this is a huge positive, after the Wembley defeat he was never going to take us up, this is why:

- Carlos is a short term planner, he doesn't care about the long term philosophy of a club

- Rushed players back from injury despite it having a huge impact on their careers

- Ignoring the U23's despite their achievements 16/17 season, especially Hirsty, he should have been around the 1st team last season & probably not the only one either...

- Jolly up Pre-season, relies on players to get themselves fit so he can do all ball work... erm! This meant we would never produce the goods over 90 minutes & let in late goals often. We also never started games well, we'd just have random spells throughout the game where we raised the intensity, until we were all knackered.

Now for the positives..

Jos has now been here 4 months & here's the other things we've learned:

- Chansiri is very patient with managers, Jos will be given time, this is good, I hate changing managers who haven't had chance to implement their style on their club & bring in their own players. Not many clubs do well who chop & change managers after a bad run of results. All teams get this throughout a season, be patient, it pays off.

- Despite it looking very likely Hirst & Clare will leave, we have learned our lessons that the youngsters are assets too, either to the first team or to sell on in the future, new deals have been tied down to the best ones, very positive & will inspire all our u18 players that hard work is rewarded at Sheffield Wednesday.

- We have 2 very good young keepers. Dawson & Wildsmith will battle it out for the no1 shirt next season. Westwood has been a wonderful servant but it's time for him to move on, we'll still get a good fee for him & he's on big money.

- Tom Lees is very good, a lot of talk about Bannan making a huge difference (he has!) but Lees is one of the best defenders in this league & will be our captain next season, at the heart of our defence we will build a team around him

- Surely now we've had all these injuries, it can't happen again?? I'm taking it as a positive anyway! 

- It's clear that certain players need to leave, we have others here that fit our new style better or we'll bring in better players, such as Palmer, Fox, Jones, Abdi, Loovens, Wallace should all be made available to leave

- Nuhiu & Joao are pretty decent! The likes of Hooper, Fletch, Fessi been out has been positive for these 2, expect them both to figure a lot next season, it's good we don't need to buy any more strikers as we have these 2 right under our nose... hoping a new contract announced for the big man soon!

- We can cope without Hooper, Hutch & Lee, 3 big players for us but lets just treat it as a bonus when they are fit, but when they aren't we have players who can perform.

- Jos has had half a season to experiment, I know there's been some poor team selections & tactics under Jos,the 5-5-0 formation at Millwall, 4-4-2 at Bristol City & QPR, but the man has to experiment, it's clear we are more solid in a 5-3-2. I fully expect us to line up like this next season.

- We have a CEO who comes across well

- The kit balls up means this is unlikely to happen again

- Chansiri has made his own mistakes, offering season ticket refunds, the silly questionnaire, bizzare Christmas statement before announcing carlos had left.. but surely he's learned from this? 

- Season ticket price freeze for next season

- Now the best until last. No more pre-season jolly up for the players, sounds like Jos will have these lot fitter than ever. Having a fit team means less likely to let go of leads... yes please!

It's not the be all & end all to be up near the top now, the club isn't going anywhere, there's no rush, when we do go up it needs to be under the right guidance on/off the pitch. 

I'd like to see us line up something like this that first game of the season.. it looks pretty decent to me!

----------------Wildsmith---------

------Hutch---Lees---New cb---

Hunt--------------------------New LWB

------------Joey---Bannan--------

------------------Fessi------------------

------------Hooper---Nuhiu/Joao----

Thanks if you've decided to read until the end, be interesting to hear people's feedback, had a lot of time to think last night so decided to make this monster post this morning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought that there were some pretty good observations here.

I had the misfortune to go to both the Bristol City and QPR games and the OP rightly pointed out that the sudden and random switch to a flat back four in these two games proved disastrous.

The 5-3-2 in my view has looked the best in terms of solidity while giving us some presence up front.

Looking to next season I agree that the two key priorities have to be a high qualiuty Centre Half to play with Lees and of course a new Left wing back.

People were really slagging the team off under Jos at the start but how were we meant to compete with so many injuries to key players? 

Looking back im still mythed why so many people expected us to do well with 2nd and 3rd choice players plus youth.

Guess it doesn't matter now as its proven that you win games with better players in your team. Surprise surprise.

Good post and a nice read gypsy. Only one thing I would disagree with, and that's having Tom Lees as captain. I just don't think that he is vocal enough and doesn't give players a rollocking if they make a silly mistake. You need a captain who's going to be heard when he's on the pitch.

FFS

2 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Good post and a nice read gypsy. Only one thing I would disagree with, and that's having Tom Lees as captain. I just don't think that he is vocal enough and doesn't give players a rollocking if they make a silly mistake. You need a captain who's going to be heard when he's on the pitch.

FFS

Thanks mate

any suggestions for captain? I’d like hutch but obvious reasons why he can’t be really! 

5 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

Thanks mate

any suggestions for captain? I’d like hutch but obvious reasons why he can’t be really! 

Hutch needs to be moved on, cant afford to carry crocks, shame but playing for a 1/4 of season is not good enough.

3 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

Thanks mate

I suppose we'll have to see which players are here next season. Obviously some will leave and a couple will be coming in. Could possibly be a newcomer. However, Bannan isn't slow at giving out the verbals and can lead by example too. 

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

Almost 2 years ago we were 1 game away from winning promotion after the best season we had since probably 96/97.

The 16/17 season we were found out, we never strengthened in the areas we needed to, signed too many strikers, the whole squad was unbalanced, performances were not great, probably the worst thing we did in fact was go on that run after Easter of 6 or 7 straight wins to seal 4th, all that did was paper over the long term cracks that were appearing, Carlos had done very well in the first season but we ignored his faults in his 2nd season, this was confirmed when we played an out of form Huddersfield in the play-offs & Carlos tactical gamble over the 2 legs backfired, the warning alarms were louder than the tanoy at Hillsborough yesterday, he should have gone then, thanks for the memories but you've failed twice Carlos, let someone else have a go. But nope, Chansiri is charmed by the charmer that is Carlos & is given a new deal.

17/18 pre-season is here, under Carlos, we go again, 3rd time lucky... we needed to strengthen in the same positions as 12 months ago, we needed experienced CB & pace! We signed George Boyd.

After a disastrous performance against Preston & a miserable first half of the season he finally left, thank god! for me it was 6 months too late or if you're being very kind 3 months too late (after pigs defeat)

Now we are 2 games away from the season finishing, in 15th place, at best we can get 12th but unlikely as we are playing the best team in the world on Saturday. Would you really call this season a disaster? not for me when I look back, we've learnt so much & we are a better team for it... 

Carlos has gone! this is a huge positive, after the Wembley defeat he was never going to take us up, this is why:

- Carlos is a short term planner, he doesn't care about the long term philosophy of a club

- Rushed players back from injury despite it having a huge impact on their careers

- Ignoring the U23's despite their achievements 16/17 season, especially Hirsty, he should have been around the 1st team last season & probably not the only one either...

- Jolly up Pre-season, relies on players to get themselves fit so he can do all ball work... erm! This meant we would never produce the goods over 90 minutes & let in late goals often. We also never started games well, we'd just have random spells throughout the game where we raised the intensity, until we were all knackered.

Now for the positives..

- Chansiri is very patient with managers, Jos will be given time, this is good, I hate changing managers who haven't had chance to implement their style on their club & bring in their own players. Not many clubs do well who chop & change managers after a bad run of results. All teams get this throughout a season, be patient, it pays off.

- Despite it looking very likely Hirst & Clare will leave, we have learned our lessons that the youngsters are assets too, either to the first team or to sell on in the future, new deals have been tied down to the best ones, very positive & will inspire all our u18 players that hard work is rewarded at Sheffield Wednesday.

- We have 2 very good young keepers. Dawson & Wildsmith will battle it out for the no1 shirt next season. Westwood has been a wonderful servant but it's time for him to move on, we'll still get a good fee for him & he's on big money.

- Tom Lees is very good, a lot of talk about Bannan making a huge difference (he has!) but Lees is one of the best defenders in this league & will be our captain next season, at the heart of our defence we will build a team around him

- Surely now we've had all these injuries, it can't happen again?? I'm taking it as a positive anyway! 

- It's clear that certain players need to leave, we have others here that fit our new style better or we'll bring in better players, such as Palmer, Fox, Jones, Abdi, Loovens, Wallace should all be made available to leave

- Nuhiu & Joao are pretty decent! The likes of Hooper, Fletch, Fessi been out has been positive for these 2, expect them both to figure a lot next season, it's good we don't need to buy any more strikers as we have these 2 right under our nose... hoping a new contract announced for the big man soon!

- We can cope without Hooper, Hutch & Lee, 3 big players for us but lets just treat it as a bonus when they are fit, but when they aren't we have players who can perform.

- Jos has had half a season to experiment, I know there's been some poor team selections & tactics under Jos,the 5-5-0 formation at Millwall, 4-4-2 at Bristol City & QPR, but the man has to experiment, it's clear we are more solid in a 5-3-2. I fully expect us to line up like this next season.

- Chansiri has made his own mistakes, offering season ticket refunds, the silly questionnaire, bizzare Christmas statement before announcing carlos had left.. but surely he's learned from this? 

- Now the best until last. No more pre-season jolly up for the players, sounds like Jos will have these lot fitter than ever. Having a fit team means less likely to let go of leads... yes please!

It's not the be all & end all to be up near the top now, the club isn't going anywhere, there's no rush, when we do go up it needs to be under the right guidance on/off the pitch. 

I'd like to see us line up something like this that first game of the season.. it looks pretty decent to me!

------Hutch---Lees---New cb---

Thanks if you've decided to read until the end, be interesting to hear people's feedback, had a lot of time to think last night so decided to make this monster post this morning.

Good uplifting post that. It has been a disappointing season though but I agree with your sentiments. 

I do do agree we will learn from our mistakes. We need to do our business well in the summer by releasing most or all of our out of contract players and trying to sell a few. Bringing the right players in is crucial. I am receptive to going with 3-5-2 and if we play this formation, I really would play Reach left wing back. He has the energy and fitness to play that role. Saying that I would like us to with 4 at the back and bring in a top centre half to partner Lees and a new left back.

Jos needs to be given a chance to have a real go next season. Whilst I haven’t agreed with some of his selections especially early in his tenure, he has been firefighting since he came and he has hardly moaned. He’s just got on with it. Fair play to him. One thing for sure, I expect all the players to be fully fit, conditioned and ready to go at the start of the season. The fitness regime under Carlos was a complete and utter farce. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Morepork said:

tenor.gif

How did you feel morning after derby defeat? Not weird it's a reality, we live and die by the results and when it's bad it's bad. OP may have a fair few good points but really he's just trying to apply some nail varnish and glitter to an absolute turd of season. 

We've spent badly, given a season too many to manager proven to start well and deteriorate and are about to lose two of the highest potential academy prospects we've had in years. 

I'd say all in its been shocking. 

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

Now for the positives..

------Hutch---Lees---New cb---6

I just don't get why people are so obsessed with Carlos. He has been gone months now and yet we STILL get posts like this trawling over LAST season.

We finished 4th remember, son is were we so crap? The game v duds was there for the taking, but they were not totally useless you know. We were winning 1.0 and they didn't really look like scoring until that own goal. I genuinely believed we were off to wembleythat night when fletch scored. We then lost on penalties.

I felt we had let a golden chance go, but don't make it out last season was a shambles.

It was time for Carlos to go without a doubt but I don't understand why some people make CD to be the devil. I LOVED those two seasons under Carlos.

Stop being so negative

1 minute ago, DuttyTeabags said:

How did you feel morning after derby defeat? Not weird it's a reality, we live and die by the results and when it's bad it's bad. OP may have a fair few good points but really he's just trying to apply some nail varnish and glitter to an absolute turd of season. 

We've spent badly, given a season too many to manager proven to start well and deteriorate and are about to lose two of the highest potential academy prospects we've had in years. 

I'd say all in its been shocking. 

It's been a tragic season for many reasons!!! But, I can assure you that you are probably in a minority of one if you think its in any way comparable to being diagnosed with HIV.

10 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

I just don't get why people are so obsessed with Carlos. He has been gone months now and yet we STILL get posts like this trawling over LAST season.

We finished 4th remember, son is were we so crap? The game v duds was there for the taking, but they were not totally useless you know. We were winning 1.0 and they didn't really look like scoring until that own goal. I genuinely believed we were off to wembleythat night when fletch scored. We then lost on penalties.

I felt we had let a golden chance go, but don't make it out last season was a shambles.

It was time for Carlos to go without a doubt but I don't understand why some people make CD to be the devil. I LOVED those two seasons under Carlos.

Stop being so negative

Stop being so negative? 

Have you read the actual title of my post? :laugh:

I also don’t think I ever said last season was a disaster? I said the run we went on papered over the cracks, Carlos was to blame for our downfall, so him leaving & jos coming in then starting to build his team properly is very promising, I don’t think I could be less negative. Bring on August, I can’t wait.

• Like 2