This season has been positive

18 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

How did you feel morning after derby defeat? Not weird it's a reality, we live and die by the results and when it's bad it's bad. OP may have a fair few good points but really he's just trying to apply some nail varnish and glitter to an absolute turd of season. 

We've spent badly, given a season too many to manager proven to start well and deteriorate and are about to lose two of the highest potential academy prospects we've had in years. 

I'd say all in its been shocking. 

Maybe you are right but I’m just saying that we’ve cocked up loads this season, lessons will be learned imo 

Three things I want to see this summer are:

• A proper pre-season (I trust in Jos for this 100%)
  • Smart spending. We won't be able to chuck money at it so we can't be as wasteful as we have been previously.
  • A team ready to go on the opening day. Preston away this season set the tone for the 5 months that followed.

Not really been looking forward to next season much. More so just hoping that this one would end. However I can sense the feel-good factor coming back to S6 so I hope we can make the most of it.

• Like 1

It’s been a really disappointing season in comparison to the last 2 or 3. That said we may emerge from the wreckage a little stronger. Nuhiu and Joao have shown they’ve got goals in them and several players who were maybe bit part players under CC have stepped up to the plate. Also as already stated several young players have had a taste of first team action.

I still think we won’t see an awful lot of change over the summer but if the likes of Bannan, Lees, Forrestieri and Hooper can stay fit next season I think we’ll challenge 

a lot more than some people think.

2 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

I'd like to see us line up something like this that first game of the season.. it looks pretty decent to me!

----------------Wildsmith---------

------Hutch---Lees---New cb---

Hunt--------------------------New LWB

------------Joey---Bannan--------

------------------Fessi------------------

------------Hooper---Nuhiu/Joao----

Don't think Hutch should be considered as a CB, maybe one addition to what we have...

4 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Almost 2 years ago we were 1 game away from winning promotion after the best season we had since probably 96/97.

The 16/17 season we were found out, we never strengthened in the areas we needed to, signed too many strikers, the whole squad was unbalanced, performances were not great, probably the worst thing we did in fact was go on that run after Easter of 6 or 7 straight wins to seal 4th, all that did was paper over the long term cracks that were appearing, Carlos had done very well in the first season but we ignored his faults in his 2nd season, this was confirmed when we played an out of form Huddersfield in the play-offs & Carlos tactical gamble over the 2 legs backfired, the warning alarms were louder than the tanoy at Hillsborough yesterday, he should have gone then, thanks for the memories but you've failed twice Carlos, let someone else have a go. But nope, Chansiri is charmed by the charmer that is Carlos & is given a new deal.

17/18 pre-season is here, under Carlos, we go again, 3rd time lucky... we needed to strengthen in the same positions as 12 months ago, we needed experienced CB & pace! We signed George Boyd.

After a disastrous performance against Preston & a miserable first half of the season he finally left, thank god! for me it was 6 months too late or if you're being very kind 3 months too late (after pigs defeat)

Now we are 2 games away from the season finishing, in 15th place, at best we can get 12th but unlikely as we are playing the best team in the world on Saturday. Would you really call this season a disaster? not for me when I look back, we've learnt so much & we are a better team for it... 

Carlos has gone! this is a huge positive, after the Wembley defeat he was never going to take us up, this is why:

- Carlos is a short term planner, he doesn't care about the long term philosophy of a club

- Rushed players back from injury despite it having a huge impact on their careers

- Ignoring the U23's despite their achievements 16/17 season, especially Hirsty, he should have been around the 1st team last season & probably not the only one either...

- Jolly up Pre-season, relies on players to get themselves fit so he can do all ball work... erm! This meant we would never produce the goods over 90 minutes & let in late goals often. We also never started games well, we'd just have random spells throughout the game where we raised the intensity, until we were all knackered.

Now for the positives..

Jos has now been here 4 months & here's the other things we've learned:

- Chansiri is very patient with managers, Jos will be given time, this is good, I hate changing managers who haven't had chance to implement their style on their club & bring in their own players. Not many clubs do well who chop & change managers after a bad run of results. All teams get this throughout a season, be patient, it pays off.

- Despite it looking very likely Hirst & Clare will leave, we have learned our lessons that the youngsters are assets too, either to the first team or to sell on in the future, new deals have been tied down to the best ones, very positive & will inspire all our u18 players that hard work is rewarded at Sheffield Wednesday.

- We have 2 very good young keepers. Dawson & Wildsmith will battle it out for the no1 shirt next season. Westwood has been a wonderful servant but it's time for him to move on, we'll still get a good fee for him & he's on big money.

- Tom Lees is very good, a lot of talk about Bannan making a huge difference (he has!) but Lees is one of the best defenders in this league & will be our captain next season, at the heart of our defence we will build a team around him

- Surely now we've had all these injuries, it can't happen again?? I'm taking it as a positive anyway! 

- It's clear that certain players need to leave, we have others here that fit our new style better or we'll bring in better players, such as Palmer, Fox, Jones, Abdi, Loovens, Wallace should all be made available to leave

- Nuhiu & Joao are pretty decent! The likes of Hooper, Fletch, Fessi been out has been positive for these 2, expect them both to figure a lot next season, it's good we don't need to buy any more strikers as we have these 2 right under our nose... hoping a new contract announced for the big man soon!

- We can cope without Hooper, Hutch & Lee, 3 big players for us but lets just treat it as a bonus when they are fit, but when they aren't we have players who can perform.

- Jos has had half a season to experiment, I know there's been some poor team selections & tactics under Jos,the 5-5-0 formation at Millwall, 4-4-2 at Bristol City & QPR, but the man has to experiment, it's clear we are more solid in a 5-3-2. I fully expect us to line up like this next season.

- We have a CEO who comes across well

- The kit balls up means this is unlikely to happen again

- Chansiri has made his own mistakes, offering season ticket refunds, the silly questionnaire, bizzare Christmas statement before announcing carlos had left.. but surely he's learned from this? 

- Season ticket price freeze for next season

- Now the best until last. No more pre-season jolly up for the players, sounds like Jos will have these lot fitter than ever. Having a fit team means less likely to let go of leads... yes please!

It's not the be all & end all to be up near the top now, the club isn't going anywhere, there's no rush, when we do go up it needs to be under the right guidance on/off the pitch. 

I'd like to see us line up something like this that first game of the season.. it looks pretty decent to me!

Thanks if you've decided to read until the end, be interesting to hear people's feedback, had a lot of time to think last night so decided to make this monster post this morning.

Great post there.:luhukay:

Hoping that the players missing so much of this season, will be raring to play next season and be fresh.

Tom Lees was right in his interview last week - we need to find a way of playing that the squad believe in, and a plan B too.

Watching yesterday, it still looked like there is no settled pattern or style to out play - just the quality from FF was the difference 

7 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Almost 2 years ago we were 1 game away from winning promotion after the best season we had since probably 96/97.

The 16/17 season we were found out, we never strengthened in the areas we needed to, signed too many strikers, the whole squad was unbalanced, performances were not great, probably the worst thing we did in fact was go on that run after Easter of 6 or 7 straight wins to seal 4th, all that did was paper over the long term cracks that were appearing, Carlos had done very well in the first season but we ignored his faults in his 2nd season, this was confirmed when we played an out of form Huddersfield in the play-offs & Carlos tactical gamble over the 2 legs backfired, the warning alarms were louder than the tanoy at Hillsborough yesterday, he should have gone then, thanks for the memories but you've failed twice Carlos, let someone else have a go. But nope, Chansiri is charmed by the charmer that is Carlos & is given a new deal.

17/18 pre-season is here, under Carlos, we go again, 3rd time lucky... we needed to strengthen in the same positions as 12 months ago, we needed experienced CB & pace! We signed George Boyd.

After a disastrous performance against Preston & a miserable first half of the season he finally left, thank god! for me it was 6 months too late or if you're being very kind 3 months too late (after pigs defeat)

Now we are 2 games away from the season finishing, in 15th place, at best we can get 12th but unlikely as we are playing the best team in the world on Saturday. Would you really call this season a disaster? not for me when I look back, we've learnt so much & we are a better team for it... 

Carlos has gone! this is a huge positive, after the Wembley defeat he was never going to take us up, this is why:

- Carlos is a short term planner, he doesn't care about the long term philosophy of a club

- Rushed players back from injury despite it having a huge impact on their careers

- Ignoring the U23's despite their achievements 16/17 season, especially Hirsty, he should have been around the 1st team last season & probably not the only one either...

- Jolly up Pre-season, relies on players to get themselves fit so he can do all ball work... erm! This meant we would never produce the goods over 90 minutes & let in late goals often. We also never started games well, we'd just have random spells throughout the game where we raised the intensity, until we were all knackered.

Now for the positives..

Jos has now been here 4 months & here's the other things we've learned:

- Chansiri is very patient with managers, Jos will be given time, this is good, I hate changing managers who haven't had chance to implement their style on their club & bring in their own players. Not many clubs do well who chop & change managers after a bad run of results. All teams get this throughout a season, be patient, it pays off.

- Despite it looking very likely Hirst & Clare will leave, we have learned our lessons that the youngsters are assets too, either to the first team or to sell on in the future, new deals have been tied down to the best ones, very positive & will inspire all our u18 players that hard work is rewarded at Sheffield Wednesday.

- We have 2 very good young keepers. Dawson & Wildsmith will battle it out for the no1 shirt next season. Westwood has been a wonderful servant but it's time for him to move on, we'll still get a good fee for him & he's on big money.

- Tom Lees is very good, a lot of talk about Bannan making a huge difference (he has!) but Lees is one of the best defenders in this league & will be our captain next season, at the heart of our defence we will build a team around him

- Surely now we've had all these injuries, it can't happen again?? I'm taking it as a positive anyway! 

- It's clear that certain players need to leave, we have others here that fit our new style better or we'll bring in better players, such as Palmer, Fox, Jones, Abdi, Loovens, Wallace should all be made available to leave

- Nuhiu & Joao are pretty decent! The likes of Hooper, Fletch, Fessi been out has been positive for these 2, expect them both to figure a lot next season, it's good we don't need to buy any more strikers as we have these 2 right under our nose... hoping a new contract announced for the big man soon!

- We can cope without Hooper, Hutch & Lee, 3 big players for us but lets just treat it as a bonus when they are fit, but when they aren't we have players who can perform.

- Jos has had half a season to experiment, I know there's been some poor team selections & tactics under Jos,the 5-5-0 formation at Millwall, 4-4-2 at Bristol City & QPR, but the man has to experiment, it's clear we are more solid in a 5-3-2. I fully expect us to line up like this next season.

- We have a CEO who comes across well

- The kit balls up means this is unlikely to happen again

- Chansiri has made his own mistakes, offering season ticket refunds, the silly questionnaire, bizzare Christmas statement before announcing carlos had left.. but surely he's learned from this? 

- Season ticket price freeze for next season

- Now the best until last. No more pre-season jolly up for the players, sounds like Jos will have these lot fitter than ever. Having a fit team means less likely to let go of leads... yes please!

It's not the be all & end all to be up near the top now, the club isn't going anywhere, there's no rush, when we do go up it needs to be under the right guidance on/off the pitch. 

Thanks if you've decided to read until the end, be interesting to hear people's feedback, had a lot of time to think last night so decided to make this monster post this morning.

I thought we were wanting the latter end of that first season... but absolutely agree with everything else...

Guest Arcadianrocket

It's a shame so many posters seem to be writing Westwood off.

For me, he would be number 1 next season and I would loan both Wildsmith and Dawson out (with recalls if needed).

Westwood is by far the best keeper in the league, so why would we want to weaken ourselves.

Reach should be our left wing back. We need a solid centre back of the same ilk as Lees.

We need a player in centre midfield who can do the Pelupessy role better, who can play when Hutchinson is injured, as Hutchinson plays the Pessy role 10x better.

We are all good for strikers. Probably need to try and offload two of Fletcher, Winnall or Rhodes.

Edited by Arcadianrocket

Positives ...

carlos is no more , obviously that’s a massive massive plus .

the chairman seems to have finally engaged brain . 

The current manager seems to Talk sense and has bought some much needed stability .

negatives 

too many crocked deadwood waste of shirt players the will be difficult to move on 

Champions league prices for mediocre football . 

I dont think we will challenge for promotion but we should be in pack that isn’t a million miles off

This is always the time of year for reflection and many of your observations have been rattling through our minds I’m sure... it’s a good read.

I’m not sure about the new CEO coming across well, I haven’t heard a peep from her but maybe that sort of news takes longer to filter down to the West Country. I truly hope that you are right and that she is going to pull some rabbits out of the hat.

What always irritates me is the “ musical chairs “ transfer policy that we now seem to adopt in the close season. We know what our priorities are but we wait until early September to see who is going where and then spend until November trying to get them fit and bedded in.

I know that it’s not always the clubs fault and players will hold out until the last minute for the best deal, but I would love to see 90% of our business done early so that Jos can spend pre season building a tight, fit effective unit to enable us to hit the ground running.