Boyd

1 hour ago, twolaptops said:

Watch the extended highlights......goals 2/3/4 all down to Boyd's inability to close down or get a foot in.....just watched it again......allows the cross in for Whelan's goal.....fails to tackle for the cross that led to a corner & then failed to block Hourihane who scored.....let Snodgross waltz around him TWICE into area for penalty incident

So nothing to do with Nuhiu playing a shocking ball to Reach, leading to us getting caught on the counter/out of position, and Boyd being 2 on 1?

37 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Yeah, tired was what he looked. No spark. He had no tricks or pace to beat a man and get a cross in so he just kept turning back. Looks like he should have been rested.

And therein lies the issue.

Because if he had rested him....then Jos would have also taken pelters as the only alternative, Fox, would undoubtedtly have been torn a new on by the livewire Dyer and the impressive Roberts.

It really is a no win situation for the manager on that score.

32 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

And therein lies the issue.

Because if he had rested him....then Jos would have also taken pelters as the only alternative, Fox, would undoubtedtly have been torn a new on by the livewire Dyer and the impressive Roberts.

It really is a no win situation for the manager on that score.

For all his limitations, Fox is defensively stronger than Boyd.

Look how many goals we have conceded down that left flank since Boyd moved into the LB position. It's not working.

42 minutes ago, leono said:

For all his limitations, Fox is defensively stronger than Boyd.

Look how many goals we have conceded down that left flank since Boyd moved into the LB position. It's not working.

I agree he is.

And yet....

.....when Fox was played there every man and his dog it seemed moaned that he wasn't "good enough going forward to be a wing back."

As I said. The manager simply cannot win.

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I agree he is.

And yet....

.....when Fox was played there every man and his dog is seemed moaned that he wasn't "good enough going forward to be a wing back."

As I said. The manager simply cannot win.

The real problem is that we don't have any wing backs at the club.

During the January transfer window, we should have moved heaven and earth to improve our defence.

We sat on our hands then, and it's really coming back to bite us.

5 minutes ago, leono said:

The real problem is that we don't have any wing backs at the club.

During the January transfer window, we should have moved heaven and earth to improve our defence.

We sat on our hands then, and it's really coming back to bite us.

Exactly.

You do have to wonder what funds have actually been made available.  Pelupessys' fee works out about £400 odd avert conversion.

That we chose to bring in a young energetic call winner and ratter suggests that the manager saw that as a priority with Hutchinson out and Butterfield and Jones being pedestrian at best.

The number of times this season we have been outnumbered and outmuscled in midfield was a big a wanrning light as the full back position in many ways.

I suspect Ideally, he'd have liked to have strengthened both areas.  But I suspect, (though by no means am ITK) that we have reached a stage where he going to have to let players go before he can start bringing others in.

And there lies another problem. To shift people on, especially those under contract, you must have a willing buyer and it's not hard to think that our phone probably wasn't ringing off the hook during the window with teams desperate to sign our members of our expensivly assembled and under performing squad.  The few salable assests we do have are sat in the treatment room which was possibly another factor in our lack of movment.

I believe that whichever way Jos sets us up this season there will be a weak link somewhere in the chain.

It's just a case of him having to decide where the link should be, and he's obviously decided that it cannot be down the spine, either at centre half or centre midfield...hence the 5-3-2.

IMO, anyway.

2 hours ago, Will69 said:

May I offer an opinion with a touch of perspective?

Could it be that these players with vast Premier League and top end Championship experience who came here and have massively underperformed have done so because of us as a club?

There is certainly a number of them. Is it a pattern? Or were they all rubbish all the time really and we’ve been mugged off? I personally think playing them with injuries, not managing their fitness and wellbeing properly and playing them out of position and in a system they don’t excel in may have played a part.

Just adding a little counter perspective to these hundreds of posts in multiple threads by all these people about how crap all our players are.

I agree that the club has had a part to play. Like you say, poorly coached on the fitness side and players playing with Injury. I can cut Boyd a bit more slack because he is out of position and not long back from injury, it may be more of a motivation issue with him. No excuse for Jones though, he's been poor throughout his time here imo. I know Reach has been a revelation in CM but I really do think we have to try him at LWB, especially now Abdi is back.

We seem to have a number of players who simply aren't strong enough on the ball.

Boyd, Jones, Butterfield, Joao and I hate to say it but even Reach springs to mind.

Even Loovens looked lightweight at times to me last night.

They lose possession far too much for me. Get brushed aside with ease.

You rarely see Hutch, Hooper or even Semedo knocked off the ball?