Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met AFTER they've finished playing?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Have you bumped into or met a former Sheffield Wednesday player after they've finished playing football?

Maybe they were a landlord or insurance salesman etc?

About 7 or 8 years ago I saw Des Walker in a motorway service station. Dressed in his lorry driving gear. Was a bit surreal really.

”Wow, what’s happened here”.

Des Walker retired after a second spell at Nottingham Forest in 2004. He still lives in the city and was working as a lorry driver for a friend’s haulage firm in order to keep busy. 

In 2012 Walker appeared in the England team for the Soccer Aid 2012 Charity game at Old Trafford.

He also appeared in 2014 but had to come off with an injury. 

In 2013 Walker appeared in a music video along with Stuart Pearce, Teddy Sheringham and Les Ferdinand for Nottingham based band “The Establishment” – managed by Dion Dublin.

After a long absence away from football, Walker started to take his UEFA coaching badges with an aim to get into football coaching.

Des Walker’s eldest son Tyler Walker is currently playing as a striker for Nottingham Forest and his youngest son Lewis Walker has been signed by Derby County.

Des Walker had many career highlights including two League Cup wins with Nottingham Forest in 1989 and 1990.

He also made the PFA team of the year on four consecutive seasons from 1989 to 1992.

Walker also represented his country on seven occasions at under 21 level and 59 times for the senior side including the World Cup in 1990 and the European Championships in 1992.

In February 2016, Des Walker joined Championship side Derby County as their academy’s defensive coach.

Walker was a member of the successful PlayOn soccer sevens side that won the Masters plate at the 2017 Hong Kong Masters.

Des Walker is also a popular after dinner speaker at various events across the UK and is available to book through Champions UK.

To book Des Walker as the football speaker for your next corporate event or conference, simply contact the Champions Speakers agency via our online contact form. Alternatively, call a booking agent directly on +44 1509 85 29 27.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest addedtime
24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Des Walker Lorry Driver.jpg

Forgot Des drove trucks for a living now

Fair play to him

He doesn't. He works for Derby County.

Back in the 80s used to work with a band we played the Staniforth Arms every Wedneday night David BRONCO Layne was the landlord He was a great guy, Him and the family even came on holiday with us we went boating on the thames, he coudn't drive the boat for toffee, tried turning the boat round and an overhanging tree branch smashed through a window. Oh how we took the p!ss, cost him a bomb to repair. We had a good laugh though great times, I fancied his daughter she was gorgeous, pity I was about to get married.

Guest addedtime
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah fair

I must have found out of date stuff online

He wants to eventually be a football manager. Says players are overcoached and football has become unnecessarily complicated

I saw him at the Youdan trophy in Rotherham scouting for them last year. Quite bizarre stood next to this mega defender from our heady days. I was quite star struck. Didn't have the guts to talk to him......

Just now, addedtime said:

I saw him at the Youdan trophy in Rotherham scouting for them last year. Quite bizarre stood next to this mega defender from our heady days. I was quite star struck. Didn't have the guts to talk to him......

I thought he was absolutely amazing for us

Thing is though I always felt that all the time he was here we never heard a peep out of him. Was almost like he didn't exist other than on the pitch.

Owlstalk Shop

I had a good 1 hour chat with Nigel Pearson about 10 years ago in the Closed Shop in Crookes, i was out with the old man came out of the loos and initially behaved like a school girl when I saw my dad sitting next to him at the bar, completely oblivious who he was. He is a really nice bloke and was coaching England youth at the time but had nothing but time to talk all things football and the owls of course, he did mention that he hoped to manage us one day and take us back to where we should be. But will that happen we will not know.

I also briefly met David Hirst in all bar one looking decidedly grey could only be 3 or 4 years after he retired, (and a little bigger on the belly) he was out with friends and the missus so we said hello stayed a couple of minutes and left them alone but again very polite and pleasant something you don't normally get from a bloke from Barnsley with a drink in his hand.WTF:

My dad knew John Pearson mum and dad and they came into what was his local the Hallamshire house at Crookes so met John once or twice.

Funnily enough I also know very well the last professional footballer to sign for Accrington Stanley before they went bust - can any of you guest who he is - I will give you a clue he was the landlord of the Hallamshire House in Crookes

Mark Hooper, in Firth Park when I was a lad. Nice bloke chatted to my Dad and me, I remember thinking how short he was.

Keith Ellis, again as a youngster my Mum was friends with his wife. The emigrated to the USA. 

Johnny Quinn, on numerous occasions in his sports shop.

Jim McCalliog, he was landlord of the George and Dragon in Wetherby.