Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met AFTER they've finished playing?

Ian Mellor took us for training at Paramore Sports

I remember watching him playing for Wednesday, and thinking I could do a better job

He guested for us in a pre season friendly away against a team in Blackpool

He must have been around 40 at the time, and he was still the best player on the pitch

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah fair

I must have found out of date stuff online

He wants to eventually be a football manager. Says players are overcoached and football has become unnecessarily complicated

he's spot on

football is mainly down to luck & having self belief, that's why the old school man management style was so successful 

none lately, but saw Sheridan and Hirst both out a few times when they was playing, Sheridan in the Ball inn at Bramley and Hirst in Swinton once years ago, they was chilling and having a laugh like players used to be allowed to do without the fear of Crucifixion 

Edited by steveger

I was once allowed in as a guest into the players bar type thing after a match if that’s what you mean by finished playing. Got Chris Waddle’s autograph and I asked him when he was coming back from injury and he said ‘soon’. Memorable.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

I was once allowed in as a guest into the players bar type thing after a match if that’s what you mean by finished playing. Got Chris Waddle’s autograph and I asked him when he was coming back from injury and he said ‘soon’. Memorable.

You lucky man ......:biggrin:

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Meeting Big Jack at a function tops the lot for me. But I went in the players lounge after a West Ham game I think 1996. What struck me was the difference in behaviour of the UK and foreign players. Des, Atherton and Hirsty propped up the bar sinking a few, Carbone and Trustful sat in the corner with their wives drinking coffee. I met the team on their Christmas party in thr premier league relegation season. Will never forget what Des said about Vim Yonk, “ I’ve played in the top division all my career and that w***er is taking me down to the second division”.

On a Christmas night out about 4 years ago, me and three work mates played darts with Chris Waddle, John Sheridan and Mark Crossley, in the Sportsman on Cambridge Street.

I spoke to them all and all were fine. I remember I kept getting the darts when anyone said its Chris' go - I'm called Chris - but it was Waddle's  turn not mine, when I kept doing it. We did laugh - you had to be there.

I was a bit drunk in fairness and sang a Wednesday song I recall. I also remember i told MC how me and my lad went absolutely crazy when he thundered home that headed equaliser for us and he was happy to reminisce. I also remember thinking that he was huge and built like an absolute brick s!!!house and not someone you would like to mess with at all.

UTO

Gerry Young in a sports shop on Middlewood Road, would it have been Johnny Quinn’s Shop? Seem to remember a lot of trophies for sale in window, but it was nearly 50 years ago. Turned out for Macclesfield Town against Buxton and lined up against David Herbert...who I’d played against many times as a schoolboy when he and Steve Ludlam played for Hackenthorpe Throstles and I played for Ridgeway Boys. Then the very next week, was sub for Macclesfield at home v Gateshead, was sent on at full back in first half to man mark the legendary...Fred McIver, we won 2-0! Hey, hey!! Good old Fred. That must have been in Autumn 1977.:ph34r:

Met a few in my time. Sterland, hirsty, david layne, charlie williamson, etc etc. Plus had a good night last friday at the legends night chatting with roger wylde and lawrie madden. But a couple of months ago i was walking through meadowhall, when who do i spot working in thomas cook? Carl shutt. Reminded him of goal in semi in 86. He said he was gonna jump on fence where owls fans were behind, but then saw loads of kids clinging to fence and thought he my knock someone off. So he just jumped up & down on the spot. I was one of those clinging to fence. 15 yrs old at the time. Feels like a lifetime ago.

I met john Fantham,I took something to his workshop,met him a few times after as well,knew his Mum really well,Molly had a woolshop at tollbar,I was struck by how quiet and unassuming he was.

On the other hand Gerry Young was a laugh a minute,I taught him how to engrave his trophies,and obviously met John Quinn,who was likewise,both very funny guys.

I worked with Brian joicey for a few years in the car trade,he was a lovely bloke with a great sense of humour,I worked with him just after his barnsley days ended & at the time of both his stroke and his barnsley testamonial,and met many ex and current pros of the day,Ron Glavin was quite a card,as was TC.

I also met Sam Ellis at a function,got say when hed had a drink he was a real tailface,no wonder he was known as big daft Sam.......

I got to know Graham Pugh through my older brother who was a good friend of his,nice enough bloke but,there was summat about him I didnt like,instinct I guess,came across as a know it all at times.

I met Danny Williams on holiday down south and him and my oldman became good friends over the years,and we visited him quite a few times,he talked fondly of his time at S6,but was very critical of those above him and we got quite an insight of his time as manager & how politics spoiled his plans.

I worked for a while on Peter springetts patch near the lane and he often popped in for a cuppa and a chat,again a smashing guy,get him talking football and he could talk for hours.

David Layne was a big mate of my dads,my visit to his cafe used to be part of my pre match ritual,he used to call me mr beans on toast!! While him n my dad would talk about mutual friends,my old man knew Swanny as well.

We used to have a bar at home and a couple of players used to come round for drinks after the boozers shut,pretty sure one of them was Pete Johnson.

Of all those ive met meeting and talking with John Fantham was the biggest thrill,he was and STILL is a massive player for us.