Will he drop his favorite CM?

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Catch 22

He can pick whoever he wants in midfield.

Well still be outnumbered every single week. 

Doesn't matter which combination it is, they'll spend 90 Minutes lurking about deep in our own half sh!tting themselves about being caught out of position if they make a forward run.

We could match teams systems. 

Except.......that's right.weve spent  £10m on a marquee signing that can't play the lone front role and needs a strike partner to get the best out of him. 

Ah ha! Shouts someone from the crowd.

Let's play 3-5-2 then we can match the oppositions 3 man midfield allowing us to have a creative runner to break the line AND play our top signing with a strike partner!!

It's a good shout...

Except for the fact .....we haven't got three centres halves.  

It's so glaring a f*cking up that I refuse to belive that a professional club has let themselves  be cornered into one viable tactic.

I'm sure Barry Allen has been messing with the time line again. ..because 18 months ago we were a simple tinkering away from being a side ready to challenge. We spunked more on fees and wages and look even more tactically boxed in that before.  

645170462aeed95452904a17246b0467a837605c_hq.jpg

Not got 3 cb's? 

Lees/Hutch/Loovens

Jones holding midfield.

Edited by Maltby owl83

5 minutes ago, Maltby owl83 said:

Not got 3 cb's? 

Lees/Hutch/Loosens

Jones holding midfield.

Don't get wrong. I'm desperate to see something different. Having been banging my drum about it on here for 2 years (including some lovely diagrams knocked up by my man)

But....One knock or ban (which with the record those three have is a cert to happen at least 4 spells per season) and the tactic is out the window and then it's back to good to our now anchored  442. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

One knock or ban (which with the record those three have is a cert to happen at least 4 spells per season) and the tactic is out the window and then it's back to good to our now anchored  442. 

I agree, however the window is still open, and if Carlos doesn't get the players in then that's his fault. I do beleive we will sign 1 CB and 1 CM before it closes, ir should i say hope.

2 minutes ago, Maltby owl83 said:

I agree, however the window is still open, and if Carlos doesn't get the players in then that's his fault. I do beleive we will sign 1 CB and 1 CM before it closes, ir should i say hope.

There's been 4 windows open and we haven't managed to get a good standard centre half through the doors.  I'll certainly not be holding my breath of us getting anyone in before the lash is drawn and the curtains closed. 

If we persist with this system.....and we have to in terms of our forward signings. and lack of defensive cover. ........then we need a midfielder of herculean strength,  the pace of drug cheat Gatlin and the stamina of Haile Gebrselassie. Needs to tackle like Stuart Pearce and be able to bag twenty goals to make up for the forwards. 

How much he'll cost I don't know.

We shouldn't have played Lee in the playoffs. 

We started the game against Huddersfield with Lee, Hutch and Wallace injured and Pudil and FF not up to the level of fitness required to play 2 tough games in such a short time

For that reason it was a nonsense team selection 

Good post.

Completely agree that sometimes when Hutchinson plays CM in a 442, doesn't matter who he's with we can be far too negative. Just because naturally how he plays he's much more defensive minded, makes barely any forward runs and brings less quality in the final third than the likes of Bannan & Lee. The playoff semi 2nd leg was testament to this, should we really be playing all of Bannan/Lee/Hutch across a 442 midfield at home when we need to score goals? Far too defensive minded tactics.

Unless partnering Lee or perhaps Abdi, a midfield two of Bannan/Hutch doesn't bring the attacking qualities we need - fine away from home when maybe scoring 2 and winning isn't essential, but otherwise i would like to see CC reintroduce our free flowing attacking football. Maybe Hutch back at CB allows us more quality from the back?

On 05/08/2017 at 23:02, Holmowl said:

It's not Bannan....

So many on here criticize Carlos for fielding Bannan week in week out, but actually the CM he always picks to play CM, is Hutch. 

Despite Bannan playing all the six wins on the trot in CM, so many posters wanted Hutch back in instead. And Carlos wanted this too. 

Is part of our problem the fact that Hutch plays CM when fit, and when partly fit? Does he work in a 442? Does he make us play too deep? Is he capable of linking with his CM partner in an attacking sense? Are his interventions generally 25 yards out, rather than 55 yards out, like Lee's and Bannan's?

I understand he was off the pace today. Some posters have been less polite. Others say he looked unfit. Then why on earth is he playing? He is our ONLY other CB. If Loovens gets crocked on Saturday, and today's match puts Hutch out for a handful of games, we take on oppos with Lees and Pudil at CB. 

I think we have better CMs than Hutch, and that he is essential as at least cover for CB, if not in fact a starting place.

Hutchinson should play centre of defence or not at all

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Lee and Bannan aren't perfect, but they are easily the best midfield duo we have on our books. They work as a pair, both defensively and attacking.

If that's the best centre mid pairing we have then we can forget about automatic promotion, which surely is the goal this season.

I can see what posters mean about hutch dropping deep leaving us less men in the middle and when going forward.

I wouldn't place the blame solely at his feet or even Carlos and his tactics (although this could be the underlining issue as we are very defensive minded), but we don't have a centre back in loovens and lees that will bring the ball out of defence. Because of this, the modified have to come deep to collect the ball. Sasso sometimes played it out allowing the midfield to step up a bit but lees and loovens don't seem to have the brains to do it at minute. They just hoof it forward

I've seen so many times when a simple ball through middle by the centre backs is on but they take the risk free option and pass it sideways or short to bannan or hutch who have dropped just in front of them in order to collect it.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I can see what posters mean about hutch dropping deep leaving us less men in the middle and when going forward.

I wouldn't place the blame solely at his feet or even Carlos and his tactics (although this could be the underlining issue as we are very defensive minded), but we don't have a centre back in loovens and lees that will bring the ball out of defence. Because of this, the modified have to come deep to collect the ball. Sasso sometimes played it out allowing the midfield to step up a bit but lees and loovens don't seem to have the brains to do it at minute. They just hoof it forward

I've seen so many times when a simple ball through middle by the centre backs is on but they take the risk free option and pass it sideways or short to bannan or hutch who have dropped just in front of them in order to collect it.

To be fair, the vast majority of teams in this division don't have a centre half who can bring the ball out. They are a very rare breed. And any decent ones tend to play at the very top. 

But what most centre halves, in possesion based teams can do, is retain the ball and find their more creative team-mates. Lees in particular, is dreadful at this. 

Which is another reason why I think Hutchinson needs to drop back. He'd give us something in centre half, that the majority of sides in this division don't have...a genuine creative influence from the back. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

To be fair, the vast majority of teams in this division don't have a centre half who can bring the ball out. They are a very rare breed. And any decent ones tend to play at the very top. 

But what most centre halves, in possesion based teams can do, is retain the ball and find their more creative team-mates. Lees in particular, is dreadful at this. 

Which is another reason why I think Hutchinson needs to drop back. He'd give us something in centre half, that the majority of sides in this division don't have...a genuine creative influence from the back. 

True, its very rare that loovens pumps a long ball but Lees is terrible for it.

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

He would be an outstanding RB and just what we need.

I agree, Wouldn't get caught out of position as much and he'd certainly be able to put a better cross in than Hunt/Palmer. Not sure if his knees would cope with all the bombing up and down all game though!