Bedding in New Players

41 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

Why's that then?

:columbo:

What would you suggest to help a squad of players "gel" off the pitch and "bed in" on it, a day trip to Cleethorpes?

See what you're saying mate , personally I'd prefer the squad to do pre season at a high altitude. That's just me though and we all see things differently.

17 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

2 things hampered us at the start of last season. 

1. The FF incident. Meant our best player wasn't firing.

2. Loovens injury not only meant we were missing our captain, but we couldn't field our best CB pairing and as a result, missed Hutch in midfield. 

It really is as simple as that. 

You can pinpoint the turning point of our season. It's so obvious if you look at the results and lineups. Fulham away in November.

That was the first time we managed to field that trio of Lees/Loovens (as captain) and Hutch sat infront. We conceded a late equaliser but played well and should have won. A few days later Carlos told us FF was back to his best in training. 

No coincidence that we suddenly starting showing automatic promotion form. Won 10 of our next 15 games. 

If we can avoid those things this season, or at least sign adequate cover for CDM and CB, we'll be up there.

If it is as simple as that, and the season turned around (as you say) after Fulham, how come FF started only 14 of the final 28, and Hutch started only 17.

If these two were so pivotal, how did we do so well without them?

The real "simple" change was that after 20 games Carlos started picking a balanced side, and because we have excellent players it didn't make a huge difference whether, for example, the CM was Jones, Abdi, Bannan or Hutch, or whether the strikers were Winnall, Rhodes, Hooper or Fletch.

Our dismal first 20 matches, and sadly our dismal semi, was all about lack of balance and ambition.

Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson

Pudil, Fox

(Needed), Loovens

Lees, (Needed)

Hunt, Palmer

Forestieri, Reach, Matias

Bannan, Abdi, (Needed)

Lee, Hutchinson, Jones

(Needed), Wallace

Hooper, Rhodes, Hirst

Fletcher, Joao, Nuhiu

Obviously desperate for a CB & RM and they need to the right choice, we're not in a bad way though

We might even have to wait till deadline day for the right player, who knows 

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If it is as simple as that, and the season turned around (as you say) after Fulham, how come FF started only 14 of the final 28, and Hutch started only 17.

The real "simple" change was that after 20 games Carlos started picking a balanced side, and because we have excellent players it didn't make a huge difference whether, for example, the CM was Jones, Abdi, Bannan or Hutch, or whether the strikers were Winnall, Rhodes, Hooper or Fletch.

Our dismal first 20 matches, and sadly our dismal semi, was all about lack of balance and ambition.

Seriously, you're denying that was the turning point of our season? 

We'd won 7 drawn 3 lost 6 in the 16 games up to Fulham. Not terrible, but much worse than the next 16. 

Where on earth are you getting 20 games from? That would include the wins against wolves and Preston. 

Obviously we played with Joao/FF and Bannan on the left for those games, so it goes against your agenda. But why not just accept it instead of trying to distort history again? Just an idea.

The last 3rd of the season we again suffered with injuries and form suffered. 

You keep going on about the 6 game winning streak without Hutch, but never mention the fact that it took a change of formation to win 3 of them. You also fail to mention how just a couple of weeks before, we'd gone down with a whimper at Villa and at home to Reading with your idea of a "balanced" side. Reach, Bannan, Jones and Wallace across midfield. Are you saying we didn't miss Hutch in those games?

26 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You really do get very selective and totally biased with your stats.

Just as an example I presume as part of your so called fantastic run with your so called balanced side I watched us play very well and win 2-1 at Forest with Hutch sitting in midfield,  Bannan on the right and FF playing as second striker and scoring a fantastic goal. While Abdi scored an even better goal.

I get confused , how does that fit with your " balanced team" FF can't play second striker mantra

On 6/27/2017 at 19:59, SBOwl said:

We may as well not bother then!

Inknow what you're saying but we need to go in to games with confidence to go and win them. 

Personally my predictions would be:

Preston (a) - Draw

QPR (h) - Win

Sunderland (h) - Win 

Fulham (a) - Lose

Burton (a) - Win

Forest (h) - Win 

We arent known for learning from our mistakes .....

Not a cat in hells chance will we beat Burton away. Rest about spot on though 

Stability is key along with having key players fit and injury free from the start. As long as we keep a hold of our best players and any new signings are of a decent standard and add quality to the first team, then we don't need many new players. To me that could make a difference, as stability and experience could be our best chance of breaking in to the top 2 like Brighton last season, if other contenders have instability or uncertainty hanging over them.

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

You really do get very selective and totally biased with your stats.

Just as an example I presume as part of your so called fantastic run with your so called balanced side I watched us play very well and win 2-1 at Forest with Hutch sitting in midfield,  Bannan on the right and FF playing as second striker and scoring a fantastic goal. While Abdi scored an even better goal.

I get confused , how does that fit with your " balanced team" FF can't play second striker mantra

You couldnt be more wrong.

I take into account 45 games last season and 45 in this season. I only ever discount the final "friendly" reserve match.

Yes, FF and the team were excellent at Forest. So of course it can work sometimes to play him as SS and Bannan LM, but over a long period of games it has been proven not to work consistently.

A quick winger and a CB is all that is needed IMO, quality not quantity in the named areas will see us challenge this term round I believe for a top 2 position. The sooner they are in the door the better it is for all involved, hanging around until the last day/days of the window yes you get the odd player who add's something and hits the ground running but I have always felt the longer a player has to get to know team mates and how they operate and the system they are going to be playing in is ensures a smoother transition between the clubs. It also allows a players family time to settle down before the madness of a football season starts, which is often sited as a big reason players feel unhappy.  

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I wasn't being disingenuous. I was listing the starting strikers. I mentioned injuries, rotation and not knowing the players.

Two seasons with many varied line-ups early season. We need fewer injuries and much more decisiveness for the coming season start.

But you did it without context which kinda inferred that CC was chopping and changing the team, rather than the changes being forced upon him...which many of them were.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You couldnt be more wrong.

I take into account 45 games last season and 45 in this season. I only ever discount the final "friendly" reserve match.

Yes, FF and the team were excellent at Forest. So of course it can work sometimes to play him as SS and Bannan LM, but over a long period of games it has been proven not to work consistently.

Proven !!

In my opinion Hutch and FF in a 4-4-2 formation unsettle us and makes us look less balanced.

Fact being we don't know what either of there best positions are. 

Of course we will win games with them playing because we are better than most sides in the division. But I point you to the 6 game winning streak. Players playing in their correct positions, FF coming off the bench as an impact player (Watford soon sussed this is the best way to utilise FF btw) and Hutch out the side.

If Carlos is going to stick with the formation he plays, Hutch or FF can't start, unless you play Hutch at CB and FF out wide where he excels and plays his best football.

We got knocked out of the Play Offs by shoehorning in two individually great players of the back of a 6 unbeaten streak without them. Forestieri never looks as dangerous playing as a striker he doesn't see the ball often enough. Hutch in the middle sits too deep most of the time which means we don't play enough football in the opposition half. I am no expert but last season it seemed so painfully obvious where the flaws were in our set up but it appears to me CC has his favourites. Most managers are stubborn and I really hope CC isn't one of them because if we play like we did last season we won't go up.

17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In my opinion Hutch and FF in a 4-4-2 formation unsettle us and makes us look less balanced.

Fact being we don't know what either of there best positions are. 

Of course we will win games with them playing because we are better than most sides in the division. But I point you to the 6 game winning streak. Players playing in their correct positions, FF coming off the bench as an impact player (Watford soon sussed this is the best way to utilise FF btw) and Hutch out the side.

If Carlos is going to stick with the formation he plays, Hutch or FF can't start, unless you play Hutch at CB and FF out wide where he excels and plays his best football.

We got knocked out of the Play Offs by shoehorning in two individually great players of the back of a 6 unbeaten streak without them. Forestieri never looks as dangerous playing as a striker he doesn't see the ball often enough. Hutch in the middle sits too deep most of the time which means we don't play enough football in the opposition half. I am no expert but last season it seemed so painfully obvious where the flaws were in our set up but it appears to me CC has his favourites. Most managers are stubborn and I really hope CC isn't one of them because if we play like we did last season we won't go up.

Correction....almost all of us know what their best positions are.

Carlos doesn't. 

Great post.

On 27 June 2017 at 15:23, Owl999 said:

Don't think our pre season is up to much, we looked a yard off the pace and unfit in the first half of the season, don't think Wagner introducing the continental idea of double training sessions pre season at Huddersfield was a coincidence with how they performed all season, think the players get quite an easy ride under Carlos .

Our pre season is a waste of time! Alfreton, Mansfield etc.... We don't benefit anything from these games! It's as though we just want to help these lower clubs out with some money!

We should be playing premier league standard teams and find something out about ourselves! 

Guest samowl
On 6/27/2017 at 17:00, oldishowl said:

While I have some sympathy with the OP we play Preston and Burton away early doors.

Both sides absolutely bullied us last season. We had a makeshift defence at Burton but midfield got bullied both games. We know exactly how both teams will play.

We need to sign some strong , physical players and get them in.

We should get our house in order and new players on the pitch .

Other teams do it.

Hallelujah. A flippingrealist