Bedding in New Players

The other issue I see for us is fitness at the start of the season. Last season we just didn't look ready for the intensity of the early league games. 

I am not sure our pre season is tough enough or long enough.

Also we just don't have enough athletes in the squad 

Early season players  were rotated to rest them while others were dropping like flies.

It's not a case of bedding in new players but having a system and sticking to it. Once we have that platform we can rock and roll regardless. Problem with Carlos was too much chopping and changing early on. Live by the sword and die by the sword my friend and stick to your guns.

1 hour ago, MuddyFunkster said:

It's not a case of bedding in new players but having a system and sticking to it. Once we have that platform we can rock and roll regardless. Problem with Carlos was too much chopping and changing early on. Live by the sword and die by the sword my friend and stick to your guns.

I think he has a very strong preference to play a system that doesn't actually produce enough goals or results. That system has Lee, Bannan and Hutch (or Lopez last year), and FF behind a striker.

He uses it as long as he can, but then finally has to try a more balanced and slightly more attacking team. It works. We score. We win. But he doesn't ultimately trust it So resorts back to his preferred solid system.

That, imo, is why he has always tinkered or rotated. He doesn't like the system that works better than his preferred approach, but his preferred approach doesn't gather points so he has to change, and so on, and so on...

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Makes 100% sense.... however this is Carlos how will he drop Lee Hutch or Bannan ?? 

Answer - he won't.

I can only say drop bannan, 

hutchinson is our anchor and can play good balls

lee is our linker and is really mobile and gets in with a lot more goals and similar amount of assists 

bannan may just have to wait it out on the sidelines till injures come in unless he solidifies his place in the squad pre season 

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Makes 100% sense.... however this is Carlos how will he drop Lee Hutch or Bannan ?? 

Answer - he won't.

I can only say drop bannan, 

hutchinson is our anchor and can play good balls

lee is our linker and is really mobile and gets in with a lot more goals and similar amount of assists 

bannan may just have to wait it out on the sidelines till injures come in unless he solidifies his place in the squad pre season 

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The other issue I see for us is fitness at the start of the season. Last season we just didn't look ready for the intensity of the early league games. 

I am not sure our pre season is tough enough or long enough.

Also we just don't have enough athletes in the squad 

Early season players  were rotated to rest them while others were dropping like flies.

This jolly boys outing to Portugal gonads needs knocking on the head as well, doesn't seem to benefit the players at all IMO.

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

You're a lot more confident than me, the first two months of the season look pretty painful on paper to me. In fact the league this season looks pretty horrible as a whole.

Preston away isn't easy. We nicked a 94th minute equalizer to draw it last season.
QPR aren't rubbish, tho you'd hope we could nick a 1-0 again.

Sunderland are a massive unknown. Could be in chaos, but also some quality players at this level and enough money to bring in game changers.
Fulham away is a tough point.
Burton away seems like a bogey fixture for us.

We then have forest, cardiff and brentford. 2 of whom are pulling out the stops to try and challenge and the other is always a tight game.
Then the derby.. in which anything could happen despite our quality.
Then Birmingham under 'arry and then Leeds.

It's not an easy opening by any means. I hope we take at least 11 from the opening 6 games, but part of me fear we might be struggling to get 1 from the opening 12. With Reading, Middlesborough, Deby, Hull Villa and Norwich still to be played. Hoping for some signings that will give me confidence at the moment.

We may as well not bother then!

Inknow what you're saying but we need to go in to games with confidence to go and win them. 

Personally my predictions would be:

Preston (a) - Draw

QPR (h) - Win

Sunderland (h) - Win 

Fulham (a) - Lose

Burton (a) - Win

Forest (h) - Win 

16 hours ago, SBOwl said:

I know what you're saying but we need to go in to games with confidence to go and win them. 

For sure, no point turning up if we think we're defeated.

I think we can win all those games, but we could also lose each of them.

Whoever goes up this season will have earned it, that's for sure!

On 2017-6-27 at 14:16, Holmowl said:

In each of the last two seasons we have been chasing the top sides from September due to very poor starts.

15/16 - 5 points from first six games

16/17 - 8 points from first six games

That put us 8/10 points outside the top two and we never looked like bridging that gap.

Here is how we played some key players in the first six games.

Bannan

CM x 4

LM x 1

RM x 1

Abdi

CM x 2

LM x 3

Sub 1

Forestieri

SS x 2

LW x 2

Sub x 1

Missed x 1

And look at Reach's first six matches

LM x 2

LB x 3

Sub x 1

And this was our starting strikers for the first six matches 

Fletch FF

Joao Hooper

Fletch Hooper

Fletch FF

Joao Fletch

Fletch (+Abdi deeper)

You couldn't have a more unsettled start to a season. Partly through getting to know players, partly through injuries, and partly through the FF saga.

This has to be avoided this coming season. We have made the same mistakes in each of the past two seasons, and this year we need a settled and balanced side from Preston away. Certainly no squeezing players in by playing them out of position.

Unless we buy some clear-cut superstar must-pick front six player, I would pick the tried and tested players, and wait for any new blood to tear the starting spot away from them. We ended the league season with a very settles approach and a largely settled line-up. I would start there and wait for poor form or brilliant training to force a change.

If we can take 12 points from the first six matches it puts us right in contention from the off.

I think you've been a little bit disingenuous about the striker situation (and you've also missed a cup game which does have a bearing).

In the first game he played Fletch and Fessi which was clearly his preferred pairing, but Fletch ended up with 10 stitches and was unavailable for the Norwich game (as was Fessi who hadn't travelled). Joao had played well in the cup game (sandwiched between Norwich and Villa) and scored, so clearly deserved his start and Hooper starts as next available.

For the next game (Burton) Fletch is back available and starts, but Fessi's still out due what happened during in the build up to the Norwich game, harsh on Joao, but he had missed a sitter in the Norwich game.

We get to the Leeds game after a bad defeat at Burton, by now Fessi's back so he reverts to his first choice pairing of Fletch and Fessi.

We lose badly to Leeds so he moves Fessi to the wing and gives Joao another chance against Burton.

Doesn't really work so he goes back to his original favourite front two of Fessi and Fletch again for the Wigan game and they both score.

16 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

I think you've been a little bit disingenuous about the striker situation (and you've also missed a cup game which does have a bearing).

In the first game he played Fletch and Fessi which was clearly his preferred pairing, but Fletch ended up with 10 stitches and was unavailable for the Norwich game (as was Fessi who hadn't travelled). Joao had played well in the cup game (sandwiched between Norwich and Villa) and scored, so clearly deserved his start and Hooper starts as next available.

For the next game (Burton) Fletch is back available and starts, but Fessi's still out due what happened during in the build up to the Norwich game, harsh on Joao, but he had missed a sitter in the Norwich game.

We get to the Leeds game after a bad defeat at Burton, by now Fessi's back so he reverts to his first choice pairing of Fletch and Fessi.

We lose badly to Leeds so he moves Fessi to the wing and gives Joao another chance against Burton.

Doesn't really work so he goes back to his original favourite front two of Fessi and Fletch again for the Wigan game and they both score.

I wasn't being disingenuous. I was listing the starting strikers. I mentioned injuries, rotation and not knowing the players.

Two seasons with many varied line-ups early season. We need fewer injuries and much more decisiveness for the coming season start.

20 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

BTW Forestieri was playing LW when he scored v Wigan.

Hooper and Fletch were up top.

On 27/06/2017 at 19:03, Andoverowl said:

This jolly boys outing to Portugal gonads needs knocking on the head as well, doesn't seem to benefit the players at all IMO.

Why's that then?

:columbo:

What would you suggest to help a squad of players "gel" off the pitch and "bed in" on it, a day trip to Cleethorpes?

2 things hampered us at the start of last season. 

1. The FF incident. Meant our best player wasn't firing.

2. Loovens injury not only meant we were missing our captain, but we couldn't field our best CB pairing and as a result, missed Hutch in midfield. 

It really is as simple as that. 

You can pinpoint the turning point of our season. It's so obvious if you look at the results and lineups. Fulham away in November.

That was the first time we managed to field that trio of Lees/Loovens (as captain) and Hutch sat infront. We conceded a late equaliser but played well and should have won. A few days later Carlos told us FF was back to his best in training. 

No coincidence that we suddenly starting showing automatic promotion form. Won 10 of our next 15 games. 

If we can avoid those things this season, or at least sign adequate cover for CDM and CB, we'll be up there.