3 CMs Results

Which teams did we play three midfielders against though as you would probably play three in midfield and be more cautious against the better teams. Which also means we would score less goals as they are better opponents.

Edited by pazowl55

6 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Excellent OP which should be forwarded as a rhyming mantra to CC forthwith. 

"The truth may hurt but it sets you free. You can't play Hutch with Bannan and Lee"

Did you ever come up with one for Dane Whitehouse?

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Which teams did we play three midfielders against though as you would probably play three in midfield and be more cautious against the better teams. Which also means we would score less goals as they are better opponents.

I wondered that, but no. It was a mix from top to bottom of table. Home and away.

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Matches played with 3 CMs (not incl Play-Offs)

P19

W8

D4

L7

Pts 28

Reast of season (excluding 46th game Fulham)

P 26

W 16

D5

L5

Pts 53

With 3 CMs - 1.5 points per game

Rest of season - over 2 points per game 

I made one adjustment, Bristol City home. Started with 3 CMs (Jones Lee BB) and 0-2 down when Wallace came on for Jones at HT.

When I see threads or posts saying we need major surgery because we weren't good enough, it's just plain wrong. We had the players and the set-up for an auto spot. We just chose not to play it for 19 league matches and a semi-final.

If only football was as clear cut and simple as you make out.

A couple of things...

Firstly, you can't categorise Bannan purely as a CM simply because you think he's better there. He's played a significant portion of his career as a left sided midfielder. He played most of last season there and ended up in the championship team of the year.

I'm also interested in how you decided which games you've assigned as "3 CMs". Some games have seen us struggle with certain setups and change mid game. How do you determine which set up produces the final result? The starting line up or the ones we switched to or finished with?

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

If only football was as clear cut and simple as you make out.

A couple of things...

Firstly, you can't categorise Bannan purely as a CM simply because you think he's better there. He's played a significant portion of his career as a left sided midfielder. He played most of last season there and ended up in the championship team of the year.

I'm also interested in how you decided which games you've assigned as "3 CMs". Some games have seen us struggle with certain setups and change mid game. How do you determine which set up produces the final result? The starting line up or the ones we switched to or finished with?

To be honest I think it's pretty clear with the stats we are better without 3 cms in terms of stats and enjoyment to watch! 

Good points and bad points, yes it doesn't seem to work with our 4-4-2, so change formation to accommodate 3 across the middle, and 2 wingbacks, everyone on here thinks it's to accommodate the three Hutch, Lee and Bannan, yet we overlook the fact our biggest game changer in mid (ignoring FF, is Wallace and if you change formation where do you put him, he's too lightweight to play in cm, not got the engine or defensive capacity to play wing back either, maybe this is why Carlos insists on playing 4-4-2?. With a fit and on form abdi maybe we could have changed formation,but it's gone and let's see if Carlos has something better up his sleeve for next season. 

6 hours ago, raljex said:

Out of interest, what about the previous season when if my memory is right Bannan played mostly on the left?

Bannan started 22 left and 19 central, but in around 5 matches he was switched from left to CM part way through matches, usually with FF moving from striker to LW.

We lost 8 matches after Bannan signed. In 6 out of these 8 we played with 3 CMs.

In one were drawing Away to PNE until FF got sent off.

So in both seasons, our record with two CMs far outstripped our record with 3 CMs. And in both seasons we chose to play with 3 CMs in the key Play-Off match.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It will be even harder to be successful next season, playing just a two man midfield

Why?

Our results show that playing 3 CMs was bloody hard, cos it failed. Why will 2 CMs be harder next?

I see Mooy has become our number one target, so how is that going to work? He's another player who's always shone in a three, like Abdi. Hope we aren't going to make the same mistakes as we did last summer.

41 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The only way to accommodate 3 cm is to switch formation to 352 or 451, we have the squad to do it. 442 is a disaster and that has been shown time and time again.

Its a disaster as a spectacle I'll give you that, but I will acknowledge that we've got results with it, just about. Surely we shouldn't just have to hang in there, hoping to nick something. Who's to say we wouldn't have been equally successful playing a system that actually suited the players we have It certainly would have been more entertaining

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Did you ever come up with one for Dane Whitehouse?

I should be old enough to resist a whoosh challenge but ...

"Looked like a thug from a schoolyard shytehouse

played like a mug for the Blades - Dane Whitehouse"

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

Just now, gurujuan said:

Its a disaster as a spectacle I'll give you that, but I will acknowledge that we've got results with it, just about. Surely we shouldn't just have to hang in there, hoping to nick something. Who's to say we wouldn't have been equally successful playing a system that actually suited the players we have It certainly would have been more entertaining

Take the play offs, I for one would have held my head high if we'd genuinely lost 4-3 after playing our attacking game and giving it our all. Sadly we rolled over and thats unforgivable with our squad.

5 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The only way to accommodate 3 cm is to switch formation to 352 or 451, we have the squad to do it. 442 is a disaster and that has been shown time and time again.

442 with 2 CMs and 2 wingers isnt a disaster.

P26. W15. Pts53 

That's title-winning.

I 100% agree that playing 3 CMs needs a new formation, but why would we want to lose such a successful 442 played properly?

Also, we would need to reva,p the squad, and buy more CMs and sell some strikers. For the final third of the season we had two fit CMs and an army of strikers on the bench. 

Our CMs towards the end...

Bannan playing thru injury

Jones in and out thru injury/illness

Lee rushed back from injury

Abdi injured

Hutch injured

3 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I should be old enough to resist a whoosh challenge but ...

"Looked like a thug from a schoolyard shytehouse

played like a mug for the Blades - Dane Whitehouse"

Oh come on. This one was set up irresistibly. A tap-in......nice one!

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

442 with 2 CMs and 2 wingers isnt a disaster.

P26. W15. Pts53 

That's title-winning.

I 100% agree that playing 3 CMs needs a new formation, but why would we want to lose such a successful 442 played properly?

Also, we would need to reva,p the squad, and buy more CMs and sell some strikers. For the final third of the season we had two fit CMs and an army of strikers on the bench. 

Our CMs towards the end...

Bannan playing thru injury

Jones in and out thru injury/illness

Lee rushed back from injury

Abdi injured

Hutch injured

Sorry I meant 442 with 3 cm is a disaster. 442 with 2 cm and 2 wingers is fine by me if thats what you set up with.