Lewis McGugan

9 hours ago, curren said:

Semedo stayed at the club wanting to earn his place which you applaud so why was it wrong for LM to stay at the club and want to fight for his place ?

when called upon what exactly did LM ever do wrong....the fact that CC hung him out to dry is no fault of is 

I haven't mentioned McGugan - the point I was making was based on your comment about Semedo.

You seemed to be suggesting that Semedo has sat on his arse rather than playing any football for the past 18 months; I was simply pointing out that this hasn't been the case: he's made an appearance in a fifth of our league games in the past two seasons, so he's clearly been an important backup option within our squad.

As for McGugan, he was told he could leave the club and wasn't part of the manager's plans, so the chances of him ever getting a game this season were roughly zero. If he's happy to stay and collect his wage in the knowledge that he won't be playing competitive football, that's his prerogative, but it doesn't suggest a hunger to play football in what is ultimately a short career. Again, however, if that's what he wants to do, then he's entitled to do so.

Carlos gave McGugan a fair shot to prove himself...and he didn't take it. It's fairly obvious that the player who told Carlos he didn't want to play the number 10 role which was being asked of him at the start of last season was McGugan, and once a manager has doubts about a player's character, it can be hard to win them back over.

And if that doesn't help explain his absence from the first team picture, then there are his performances under Carlos. As soon as I heard we were signing McGugan on loan, I asked my Forest supporting mates what they thought of him: among all the different opinions, the one word which was consistent across all their replies was 'lazy', and I've seen little to suggest they were wrong. For all his ability, McGugan simply doesn't close down or track back as much as he needs to for a central midfielder in the system we play.

I've mentioned this on here before, but the game that summed up the conundrum that is McGugan for me was the Preston home match last season: he was brought on in central midfield with about 20 minutes to play, shifting Lee out to the flank to accommodate him. After a few dangerous attacks where Preston just ran past McGugan as if he wasn't there, Carlos made another switch to put Lee (who had 70 minutes more running in his legs at this point don't forget) back in to shore up the middle of the park, and shifted McGugan out to the flank...from where he proceeded to lob the keeper from the halfway line as the clock ran down!

He's capable of moments of magic, but his laid-back style risks undermining all the hard work of his teammates at times. I reckon Carlos prefers more consistent performers in the centre of the park.

Ultimately, for whatever reason, I don't think Carlos trusts McGugan to go out on to the pitch and do what he's been asked to do. Whether that's because of something that's gone off behind the scenes or is based purely on his performances under Carlos, I don't know.

But leave Jose out of it!

:duntmatter:

5 hours ago, vulva said:

Consumate professional. Just can't fathom out why Carlos didn't pick him. 

IMG_0089.JPG

To be fair to Lewis, the camera adds ten pounds.

Now if someone could just ask the first dozen photographers to put their lenses away, we might be getting somewhere...

I really hope he goes this summer.

Sick of the number of people who genuinely seem to think he's good enough for the level we're aiming for.

He's turning into one of those who the longer he doesn't play, the better he gets in some people's eyes.

1 hour ago, Owl.1867 said:

I really hope he goes this summer.

Sick of the number of people who genuinely seem to think he's good enough for the level we're aiming for.

He's turning into one of those who the longer he doesn't play, the better he gets in some people's eyes.

The official name for this phenomenon is Heffernan Syndrome.

29 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I'd get him as fit as a fiddle over the summer, wipe the slate clean, and give him a chance.

Quality Championship player.

There's only one person who can get Lewis McGugan as fit as a fiddle over the summer.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

59 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He had many strings to his bow, but getting a tune out of Lewis McGugan may be a bridge too far.

If Lewis McGugan sorts himself out to become a regular in the first team squad again, it would be music to my ears. Especially if the squad remained harmonious.