That six game run

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Using your logic, six wins and an away draw(against a promotion side) means that 442 with Lee/Bannan or Jones/ Bannan doesn't work?

I would expect the same outcome. Top six finish lose in the play offs.

6 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

If and when we take the lead we should push on for a 2nd and 3rd instead of settling for a 1 goal lead we ARE good enough . Game management is all well and good but at some point we are going to have to play on the front foot for longer periods ,we play  a bit too safe imo 

Thats it chap in a nutshell...dont be scared to try and really go for it...we need to hit the ground running next season and be up there from the first match!!

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

I didn't say we deliberately, nor consistently, rotated. I picked up your point that there was a number of changes. In a series of just six games. And arguably our best player played a bit part. Presumably you're happy for him to continue as a bit part player?

A midfield of Wallace Lee Bannan Reach might score 75 in a season. That would put us on a par with Brighton, but without Hutchinson we are less secure defensively (I didn't say we ship goals). Without Hutchinson we tighten up and the wingers become more defensive. So no, we don't ship goals without Hutch, but we take away from our attacking abilities in order to become more secure. As a result we score less goals than we might otherwise do.

I think we would all like to extrapolate from a six game winning run. That equates to 138 points in a season. I'd take that. But it isn't realistic. Neither is it realistic to extrapolate the possible goals scored. In my opinion, that midfield four will get us in the play offs again, but probably not top two.

No not happy for FF to play a bit part. My point was that despite FF, Lee, Hutch being unavailable for most of that great run, we still won them all. Which strongly suggests that even second choice players in their best roles, are better than terrific players shoe-horned in.

A comment Waddle made last weekend was excellent. He was talking about superb CMs being bought by a manager, but played LW because he already had good CMs. Waddle's view was "If you wanted a LW, buy a LW".

2 hours ago, the third man said:

I really don't understand all these threads and the people in them agreeing with them.

who were the 60+% of you that voted for CC to stay, because it seems to me that non of you likes his team selections and non like his tactics

I think a lot of people just can't be arsed to argue with holmowl about the same thing over and over again. 

Just looked at the final table .

Got as far down as14th and still only Brighton played 442 .

Got to Barnsley and gave up as not sure what they played.

So week in week out we come up against teams with 3 in central midfield.

You either surrender midfield and play hoofball or try and compete in the centre. 

Of course one way to compete is to sit deep , play narrow and try and score with the two strikers you have on the pitch. Trouble is, as happened against Udders there is a danger you get pushed so deep the strikers are out of the game

I would prefer him to play a proper 3 in the middle using the abilities of people like Abdi and FF playing in positions they understand so that we can improve. Bannan and Lee will also play however if we are to improve it is not by using the same players again, as we have for the last two seasons 

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

To get promoted next season we are going to need a player to go above and beyond. Whether that's Rhodes scoring 20+ goals or Forestieri being a world beater every week. We are effectively going to have to have the best player in the division.

Completely agree. Was thinking about this the other day. Brighton = knockaert newcastle = Gayle.

For example we need forestieri to be even better than his first season or rhodes to rediscover his form from 2 years ago. 

35 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Just looked at the final table .

Got as far down as14th and still only Brighton played 442 .

Got to Barnsley and gave up as not sure what they played.

So week in week out we come up against teams with 3 in central midfield.

You either surrender midfield and play hoofball or try and compete in the centre. 

Of course one way to compete is to sit deep , play narrow and try and score with the two strikers you have on the pitch. Trouble is, as happened against Udders there is a danger you get pushed so deep the strikers are out of the game

I would prefer him to play a proper 3 in the middle using the abilities of people like Abdi and FF playing in positions they understand so that we can improve. Bannan and Lee will also play however if we are to improve it is not by using the same players again, as we have for the last two seasons 

Yep. 442 has got us so far, I really feel 433 could see us take the next step.

6 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Completely agree. Was thinking about this the other day. Brighton = knockaert newcastle = Gayle.

For example we need forestieri to be even better than his first season or rhodes to rediscover his form from 2 years ago. 

Exactly and along with Wood the best players in the league last season.

1 minute ago, pride_of_the_road said:

FF scores the pen at Brighton and it could have been oh so different,  they were on  a losing run and we weren't far off them in the table.

Yep.

I am sure Carlos will feel things have just gone against us this year and to some extent he is right. 

Injuries, Ff saga , pen misses .

It has been a tough year for the manager which is why he fancies another crack

To me you only have to look as far as the best performance of the season by far against Norwich. 

Wallace right, Bannan and Hutchinson (but Jones half way through because hutch got injured) middle, Nando left. Rhodes and Winnall up top. With both wide men scoring and Rhodes getting two. 

I think this attacking line up (swap Hooper for Rhodes and Lee for Jones/Hutch when fit) could see us score so many more goals if played in the right way. 

We need a better right back and to me Reach only gets in the team if it's at left back as he's not good enough going forward to play left wing.