Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Given the horrific events in Manchester over the last 24 hrs all I would say is that perspective is required, in the grand scheme of things football is really not that important.

As a group of supporters we have different views on all aspects of our club,but lets now come together give our club officials our full support in all their decisions and be thankful that we are able to debate all things "Wednesday" living in our great country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These things are happening on a daily basis, all around the world It's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester. Let's keep politics and sport separate

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

These things are happening on a daily basis, all around the world It's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester. Let's keep politics and sport separate

Well said.     UTO 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perosnally I think sport is exactly the thing you can chuck in all your passion and debate.

 

This site is a great example of what sport should be, everyone having debate and sharing the passion of SWFC.

 

Sure, We may not all

agree and we may not like everyone who does contribute but we all understand the rules of having an opinion and being able to state it. Also no matter how much of a passionate fan you are we all know where the line is. 

 

what happened in Manchester is a horrific reminder of what happens to people that become obsessed and become wrapped up in idealistic aspirations when venerable or easily led. 

 

Sport, or for us Wednesday is a totally different obsession, a beautiful frustrating obsession with many more ups than downs but Manchester is a reminder to us all when your hobby (music in this case) can cost your life through the failure of society to stop idealistic notions becoming obsessions and being fanatical about a religion/hobby to the point of wanting to hurt people. 

 

Ive said privately for a long time how much it worries me about going to football matches with so many people in one place - such a soft target and you don't even need to be in the ground or venue to create such a horrific scene. 

 

That said we need to carry on as normal - they won't win. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

I think you'll find that over a lifetime there are more downs than ups in supporting Wednesday Spencerowl.

 

I actually meant that, typed the opposite :duntmatter:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

These things are happening on a daily basis, all around the world It's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester. Let's keep politics and sport separate

 

 

Great post 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, theowlsman said:

We might've been crapping ourselves had we made Wembley. Worried about a bomb going off.

 

One popped balloon and it would've been mayhem.

 

Banned now - SAG 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

 

Was yours?

 

No definitely not Tragedies, unfortunately happen every day, all around the world, and of course it puts sport, and almost everything else into perspective. It's not appropriate to link it to football, but if people on here want to discuss it, at least do it in the non football related section. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

 

No definitely not Tragedies, unfortunately happen every day, all around the world, and of course it puts sport, and almost everything else into perspective. It's not appropriate to link it to football, but if people on here want to discuss it, at least do it in the non football related section. 

 

It appears we have different opinions, I'll stay with mine thanks. Have a good day and remember if any tragedy strikes and affects you/ your family remind yourself this happens every day so just ignore it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

 

It appears we have different opinions, I'll stay with mine thanks. Have a good day and remember if any tragedy strikes and affects you/ your family remind yourself this happens every day so just ignore it.

 

Again, I don't particularly want to debate this on here. Suffice to say, I'm well aware of the implications a tragedy like this has on the lives of those close to the incident, it's just where, and how, it's discussed, that I have an issue with

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

 

It appears we have different opinions, I'll stay with mine thanks. Have a good day and remember if any tragedy strikes and affects you/ your family remind yourself this happens every day so just ignore it.

Do you always have to be the front runner for silliest post of the day, every day ? We all know what happened in Manchester was horrific but there is no need or relevance to liken it to supporting football. It doesnt make sense. 

 

If you are (rightly) affected/angry or whatever by the events of Manchester then surely there is no need to yet again attempt to start another petty argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Do you always have to be the front runner for silliest post of the day, every day ? We all know what happened in Manchester was horrific but there is no need or relevance to liken it to supporting football. It doesnt make sense. 

 

If you are (rightly) affected/angry or whatever by the events of Manchester then surely there is no need to yet again attempt to start another petty argument. 

Where have I said any of that? 

 

The OP said perspective is required 

The very next post was "These things are happening on a daily basis, all around the world It's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester" 

 

Poor show of humanity IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Do you always have to be the front runner for silliest post of the day, every day ? We all know what happened in Manchester was horrific but there is no need or relevance to liken it to supporting football. It doesnt make sense. 

 

If you are (rightly) affected/angry or whatever by the events of Manchester then surely there is no need to yet again attempt to start another petty argument. 

 

I completely agree with your post, but I don't necessarily see the relevance of @gurujuan 's 'it's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester' comment.

 

Gurujuan, I understand this isn't really the place to discuss this, but who/what has indicated to you that people believe it to be more tragic? 

 

I don't believe anybody would think this would be any less tragic had it happened anywhere else. However, the scale of reaction/response to an incident is very much related to the proximity of the incident (proximity in a sense of geography and otherwise). 

 

So, for example, when my Nan died I understood that it was no more tragic than my work colleague's Nan passing - yet I am of course more impacted by my own. Going wider, we would all be more affected by the murder of a person living on our street than we would the murder of a person in a neighbouring town - whilst knowing both are equally tragic. This would also be true on a regional basis - we would expect our regional news to focus on events that have occurred within, or impact upon, that region. The same is true, quite naturally, for national issues. It isn't a question of considering something more tragic because of where it happens and I don't believe that people believe it to be so. 

 

This would be true of any individual/family/local community/region/nation around the world. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

 

I completely agree with your post, but I don't necessarily see the relevance of @gurujuan 's 'it's no more tragic when it happens in Manchester' comment.

 

Gurujuan, I understand this isn't really the place to discuss this, but who/what has indicated to you that people believe it to be more tragic? 

 

I don't believe anybody would think this would be any less tragic had it happened anywhere else. However, the scale of reaction/response to an incident is very much related to the proximity of the incident (proximity in a sense of geography and otherwise). 

 

So, for example, when my Nan died I understood that it was no more tragic than my work colleague's Nan passing - yet I am of course more impacted by my own. Going wider, we would all be more affected by the murder of a person living on our street than we would the murder of a person in a neighbouring town - whilst knowing both are equally tragic. This would also be true on a regional basis - we would expect our regional news to focus on events that have occurred within, or impact upon, that region. The same is true, quite naturally, for national issues. It isn't a question of considering something more tragic because of where it happens and I don't believe that people believe it to be so. 

 

This would be true of any individual/family/local community/region/nation around the world. 

 

 

 

 

 

My point is, tragedies happen all the time, just because it happened in Manchester, it's still inappropriate to reference it on here. By here, I mean the match day section. I'm not insensitive, if anything it seems quite trite linking it to football in any way. Of course events like that put other things into perspective, that should go without saying

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...