One man team myth

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Without Hooper P26. W12. D6. L8 = 1.61 points per game

With Hooper P19 = W12  D3. L4 = 2.05 points per game

These kind of stats tell us nowt!

eg most of the time Hooper was out we were also without Lee, Pudil and Lees. 

I've never thought of us as a one man team ,I don't even think FF is our best player .........we have such a strong squad the only player we really cant do without is westwood and that's no slur on his  back ups .

There's no such thing as a "one man team".  Ronaldo and Messi are top players, probably the best individual footballers we've ever seen but they are surrounded by good players at their respective clubs.  Someone is feeding them.

The difference between ordinary teams and good teams is the number of quality players at that level.  We've got, in my opinion, around 9 or 10 in a big squad.  People like Forestieri, Hutch, Lee, Bannan, Lees, Westwood, Rhodes and on their day Loovens, Wallace and McManaman.  These guys don't come cheap but they're the ones that make the difference.  This list includes a range of strikers, midfield and defenders.  So it looks well balanced.  I believe you need a minimum of 4 of these to turn out every week.  If you turn out any more then it improves your chances immediately.  Any less and you're a gonna.  As the season progresses some of these are unavailable due to injury but also they may need a rest especially playing two competitive games a week.  There is also an issue with keeping everyone happy and that aint easy!  That's where a good manager shows his worth with a supportive chat/arm round etc.

So that's it.  You need to spend the money and bring in these players or settle for unsuccessful mediocrity.

29 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

These kind of stats tell us nowt!

eg most of the time Hooper was out we were also without Lee, Pudil and Lees. 

Don't shoot the messenger. I was asked, and I did it.

However, got to say it felt good when I saw how well we seem to produce when he plays!!

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Anyone got win ratio with Hooper. Must be pretty high 

The Hooper effect is difficult to judge.

Our season turn around (from mid table to play offs) ), started exactly when Hooper exited in November. Yet he comes back & we win 6 of 6, with him scoring just 1.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Don't shoot the messenger. I was asked, and I did it.

However, got to say it felt good when I saw how well we seem to produce when he plays!!

That's the problem.

Look at that stuff long enough and you start coming to incorrect conclusions.

In your eyes Saturday was 3 more points for Hooper stats. In my eyes he didn't play particularly well, and the goal was scored by Lee from a pass by Pudil .Two other players who recently came  back into the team.

Infact Pudil has been far and away our best player in recent games

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

That's the problem.

In your eyes Saturday was 3 more points for Hooper stats. In my eyes he didn't play particularly well, and the goal was scored by Lee from a pass by Pudil .Two other players who recently came  back into the team.

Full back has been one of our weakest areas this season. Hunt and Pudil coming back to form and fitness has really strengthened the team.

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

That's the problem.

I see it as 3 points for an excellent team. I have seen 12 minutes of it and couldn't possibly comment on who excelled or not.

I think Hooper is a terrific player, but I wouldn't be remotely concerned if we start Rhodes-Fletcher in the semi. I see these three as inter-changeable and as long as we have at least two of them on the field for the next 270 minutes I am really optimistic.

Edited by Holmowl

54 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

The Hooper effect is difficult to judge.

Our season turn around (from mid table to play offs) ), started exactly when Hooper exited in November. Yet he comes back & we win 6 of 6, with him scoring just 1.

I was critical of Hooper but since his return we look a different team and imo his linkup play is the difference 

I predicted we wouldn't make the play-offs in March, so I'd say it's Hooper who's made the difference. He does a lot of clever running off the ball which confounds the opposition. Lee's played a big part too, but when these link players were available in the early part of the season there was nothing to suggest we'd go on a run like this. So what's changed?

The wide men understanding what is expected of them more, also the forwards.

We are talking very small margins but that extra couple of yards of being in space or closing down space makes all the difference.

No longer do we appear to be out numbered in midfield.

Hooper dropping deep and Reach/ Wallace and now Lee getting beyond. What does a centrehalf do?

Follow Hooper and get dragged out of position creating space in behind.

Stay where he is and allow Hooper to pick the ball uncontested and ping the ball where he wants. Hoopers passing ability is one of the best in the team. The player receiving the ball very rarely has to stop and wait or go backwards. Just carry momentum in their run.

Fullbacks have come alive, the way we play they are very important, Pudil and Hunt have been excellent over the last month.

Lastly having to not rely on that one moment of magic from FF has also benefited the team. As we saw when Antonio was here when you rely on one man most of the time the team always looks to that play to give the ball to, becoming  predictable.