One man team myth

Hope we can put this nonesense to bed now.

How many times last over the last two seasons have we read on here that we are a one man team? It frustrate the arris off me, and I'm sure it pees the players off too.

Football is, always has been, and always will be, a team game. 

This season...

With Nando 1.75 points per game

Without Nando 1.87 points per game

With Hutch 1.8 points per game

Without Hutch 1.8 points per game

Unquestionably two superb footballers. At their best they are magnificent footballers, but this season's results show that it takes XI to tango, not one or two.

I am delighted to see players like Hunt, Pudil, Wallace, Hooper and even Reach getting more and more praise on OT. They are nowhere near as exciting to watch as Nando and Hutch sometimes are, but boy are they effective and equally important.

We enter May in the wonderful position that two of our very top players have to force their way into a winning team on merit rather than reputation. It fills me with huge optimism.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Hope we can put this nonesense to bed now.

How many times last over the last two seasons have we read on here that we are a one man team? It frustrate the arris off me, and I'm sure it pees the players off too.

Football is, always has been, and always will be, a team game. 

This season...

With Nando 1.75 points per game

Without Nando 1.87 points per game

With Hutch 1.8 points per game

Without Hutch 1.8 points per game

Unquestionably two superb footballers. At their best they are magnificent footballers, but this season's results show that it takes XI to tango, not one or two.

I am delighted to see players like Hunt, Pudil, Wallace, Hooper and even Reach getting more and more praise on OT. They are nowhere near as exciting to watch as Nando and Hutch sometimes are, but boy are they effective and equally important.

We enter May in the wonderful position that two of our very top players have to force their way into a winning team on merit rather than reputation. It fills me with huge optimism.

FF has been massive for us over the last 2 seasons, without him & his (often self created goals), there would have been no play offs this season or last.

However no one has said we're a one man team, you've made this up, to continue your anti FF obsession.

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

FF has been massive for us over the last 2 seasons, without him & his (often self created goals), there would have been no play offs this season or last.

However no one has said we're a one man team, you've made this up, to continue your anti FF obsession.

You must bury your head in sand then, I've seen it on here most weeks

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

You must bury your head in sand then, I've seen it on here most weeks

I generally like Holmsys posts,  but why wake up on a Bank holiday, the play offs on the horizon & make a lengthy thread, with one purpose in mind - to dig at our top goal scorer. Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

This.

Up until very recently we have been virtually a one man team. Midtable at best without FF. 

Its nice that we can finally cope without him. 

Always the same it's all about the guy that gets the goals or creative CM. No one ever cares about the dogged defence.

The players that put the whole body on the line blocking last minute shots. You cant win without a defence.

But how often are defenders POTS at club or national level.

Don't think the OP is slagging nando off at all, merely pointing out how we aren't massively reliant on him like we were last season. 

Even fully fit he's not guaranteed a start, imagine someone saying that to you this time last year!

Can I just say to the OP.

One man teams don't tend to go up the table or make the play offs.

To do that twice in succession says you are far from that. But as I've put above it is the goal scorers that get all the attention.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say we are a one man team.

Bizarre thread.

Me neither, when FF has been out for games, it's been mentioned that we don't have others than can run at defenders and create something from nothing.

I would put FF is the same group as Lee, Westwood & bannan with regard to importance since CCs arrival, Lees & loovens close behind.

This is just holmsy having another dig at FF.

It's no surprise that the rise in popularity of the wide players like Wallace, Reach and the full backs happened at the same time as we actually started getting crosses into the box and scoring lots of headed goals.

As was said earlier though, our defence never gets enough credit. Over the last 6 games we have conceded only 3 goals and 2 less than our closest competition in that regard. Loovens especially doesn't get the credit he deserves for his organisation at the back and helping Lees stay calm and focused.  It would be interesting to see the points for and against tally for Loovens, I think that would be interesting.

We certainly have many strengths now, probably too many to fit into one team but it certainly fits into and creates a great squad. 

FF

Rhodes

Hooper

Fletch

Even Winnal 

I'd not be disappointed to see any two of those start as a forward. 

On the wings any two from: 

FF

Reach

Wallace

Mcmanaman

Again all have talent and individual plus points. 

Center mid, I think is even stronger but we've never seen everyone fit and well: 

Hutch

Jones

BB

Lee

Abdi

Strength in depth and with genuine quality is far and away the best I remember. 

We've evolved as a side who don't just rely on certain players as much as we might have done in the past. That said last summer's recruitment is not looking as suspect as some have said this season which I always thought would be the case come this stage of the season?

Fessi is our best player and we're much weaker without him 

A good team relies on every player doing their part

But players of fessi's calibre are invaluable if you're going to succeed at this level or even the level above.

I think last season it could have been levelled at us at times that we were over-reliant on Forestieri and when he got his red card at Hull, we couldn't buy a win while he was out of the side.

I think when we got to the playoff final Hull knew that if they stopper Fernando then they'd done half the job.

This for me however is one of the most encouraging things about this season is that we don't rely on him half as much as we did last season. Of course a player of his quality will always be a very important member of any squad at this level but our performances and results this year while he's been out of the side this season as opposed to last have been far far better.

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We've evolved as a side who don't just rely on certain players as much as we might have done in the past. That said last summer's recruitment is not looking as suspect as some have said this season which I always thought would be the case come this stage of the season?

Although, this year's play off team has only Reach and Fletch (or Rhodes) from this season's buys. And Reach would not be guaranteed a start if FF was fit.

9 minutes ago, StarmanNWC said:

It's no surprise that the rise in popularity of the wide players like Wallace, Reach and the full backs happened at the same time as we actually started getting crosses into the box and scoring lots of headed goals.

As was said earlier though, our defence never gets enough credit. Over the last 6 games we have conceded only 3 goals and 2 less than our closest competition in that regard. Loovens especially doesn't get the credit he deserves for his organisation at the back and helping Lees stay calm and focused.  It would be interesting to see the points for and against tally for Loovens, I think that would be interesting.

Good point. 50% of our goals in recent months have come from headers. 

It dates back back to signing Rhodes. Did Carlos instruct more crosses when we bought him? Even though Jordan has only netted 3 in, the crosses have benefitted the entire team and results.

And agree totally about Loovens and the defence. Excellent.

Edited by Holmowl

Just now, Holmowl said:

Although, this year's play off team has only Reach and Fletch (or Rhodes) from this season's buys. And Reach would not be guaranteed a start if FF was fit.

That is true but up until a few games ago before Lee was back and Jones illness; people were talking about how Jones had stepped up and it be hard to displace him. 

For me its not about a best player or even A best 11 it's about 18 or so players that you wouldn't lose sleep if they started or not. Then it's up to the coach to pick the right tools for the job and rest / rotate as he sees fit.