Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Underperformed this season. 

 

To to say he a) gets so much of the ball and b) often in good areas with space and little pressure, he wastes the ball. 

 

With the amount of balls he sees he should have far more goals and assists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Been reading a number of posts criticising his performance yesterday. I gave him a decent rating and thought he had an excellent game.

 

I watched the extended highlights just now, and he was right in the middle of everything we did. There was barely a highlight attack that he hadn't started or join in.

 

I also recall the Newcastle fans praising him highly. Commentators and pundits often pick him out as a key performer or even MOM. 

 

He is our Peter Reid, our Archie Gemmell, our Ray Wilkins, our out-ball, our giver and getter, our string-puller, and our play-spreader. He never stops and never ever hides.

 

He can't tackle like Hutch, nor shoot like Wallace, but if he could he would be playing for a decent Prem side, not a good Championship side.

 

Personally I see him as one of our very best and most important players. To me he is a pleasure to watch, and I always feel optimistic when he moves forward with the ball.

 

Have to agree with all of this. I can't understand some of the criticism Bannan has had on here - unbelievable. I have a mate who is a Palace fan and I have watched Wednesday a couple of times with him this season. He reckoned he has never seen Bannan play better and just wished he had turned in performances like he is doing now when in his Palace days. Yesterday again he was the start of pretty much everything we did right. And he never gives up. Look back at the winner away at Preston - with seconds to go, all hope lost, it was Bannan who got the ball, put his head down, and drove into the box to create the chance for Reach. Some of his shots are high and wide admittedly, but to criticise his midfield play is ridiculous. Try watching him when we haven't got the ball. He busts a gut to get back in position and organise those around him - even in the last minutes of the game. That's what effective midfield play is all about as well as what he does on the ball. 

 

I agree with Holmowl - a pleasure to watch and I always look forward to watching him play.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

Underperformed this season. 

 

To to say he a) gets so much of the ball and b) often in good areas with space and little pressure, he wastes the ball. 

 

With the amount of balls he sees he should have far more goals and assists. 

 

There are players in the squad who have had a lot less impact than Bannan.

 

Anyway, like someone said earlier, anyone not recognising the contribution Bannan makes doesn't understand football.

 

Keep digging away.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

 

There are players in the squad who have had a lot less impact than Bannan.

 

Anyway, like someone said earlier, anyone not recognising the contribution Bannan makes doesn't understand football.

 

Keep digging away.

 

 

 

 

:manager::manager::manager:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Purley Arms Owl said:

 

Have to agree with all of this. I can't understand some of the criticism Bannan has had on here - unbelievable. I have a mate who is a Palace fan and I have watched Wednesday a couple of times with him this season. He reckoned he has never seen Bannan play better and just wished he had turned in performances like he is doing now when in his Palace days. Yesterday again he was the start of pretty much everything we did right. And he never gives up. Look back at the winner away at Preston - with seconds to go, all hope lost, it was Bannan who got the ball, put his head down, and drove into the box to create the chance for Reach. Some of his shots are high and wide admittedly, but to criticise his midfield play is ridiculous. Try watching him when we haven't got the ball. He busts a gut to get back in position and organise those around him - even in the last minutes of the game. That's what effective midfield play is all about as well as what he does on the ball. 

 

I agree with Holmowl - a pleasure to watch and I always look forward to watching him play.

 

 

Yep, Bannan is a proper player, technically outstanding.

 

With some of the dross we have witnessed at Hillsborough over the years, it amazes me how people can get on his back.

 

Yet Reda Johnson is still worshipped.

 

Bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

 

There are players in the squad who have had a lot less impact than Bannan.

 

Anyway, like someone said earlier, anyone not recognising the contribution Bannan makes doesn't understand football.

 

Keep digging away.

 

 

 

 

If you have to resort to saying that, you clearly don't have a coherent point to make...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

 

 

Yep, Bannan is a proper player, technically outstanding.

 

With some of the dross we have witnessed at Hillsborough over the years, it amazes me how people can get on his back.

 

Yet Reda Johnson is still worshipped.

 

Bizarre.

 

It is not about being technically outstanding is it. It is about being effective in the team winning and getting promoted 

And Reda is the totally wrong comparison to make. He scored more goals from full back in the promotion season than Bannan has in his time here. He was limited but effective and most importantly a winner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bodhidharma said:

If you have to resort to saying that, you clearly don't have a coherent point to make...

 

 

 

Ive tried, I feel like Im banging my head against a brick wall.

 

You can see that there are many people saying how they rate BB, you seem to have got it in for him.

 

Something to do with him thinking he's better than he is. Yep because we want players who lack confidence and think there sh it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

 

It is not about being technically outstanding is it. It is about being effective in the team winning and getting promoted 

And Reda is the totally wrong comparison to make. He scored more goals from full back in the promotion season than Bannan has in his time here. He was limited but effective and most importantly a winner

 

 

 

So its all about goals, some supporters only watch both boxes and are oblivious to the middle and main third of the pitch.

 

Reda was a clumsy crocked League 1 defender, yet because he scored a few goals he's a legend.

 

I'm pretty sure BB was effective in our trip to Wembley last season and he's played his part in us being 4th this season.

 

But its all about how many goals he scores.

 

I think you will find, being technically good at football is pretty f'kin important.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly ten positive posters for every critical poster. 

 

I think any player should be very happy indeed with that.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has been better recently but he still does a good impression of playing rather than playing. He positions himself where he can't get the ball then shouts for it and throws his hands up when he doesn't get it. He also runs like a mad man then dives into the tackle when he can't get the ball.

 

However, last year he was quality and he mainly out on the left and further up the field. So playing deep doesn't necessarily suit him.

 

In my opinion he would be 4th choice CM if everyone was fit behind Hutch Abdi and Lee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a cracking player, anyone who doesn't rate him wants their head looking at.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Roughly ten positive posters for every critical poster. 

 

I think any player should be very happy indeed with that.

 

You do realise opinion polls have had a pretty poor track record recently 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

 

You do realise opinion polls have had a pretty poor track record recently 

 

Haha.

 

I hope the current one is wrong about June 8th, but alas I suspect not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Purley Arms Owl said:

 

Have to agree with all of this. I can't understand some of the criticism Bannan has had on here - unbelievable. I have a mate who is a Palace fan and I have watched Wednesday a couple of times with him this season. He reckoned he has never seen Bannan play better and just wished he had turned in performances like he is doing now when in his Palace days. Yesterday again he was the start of pretty much everything we did right. And he never gives up. Look back at the winner away at Preston - with seconds to go, all hope lost, it was Bannan who got the ball, put his head down, and drove into the box to create the chance for Reach. Some of his shots are high and wide admittedly, but to criticise his midfield play is ridiculous. Try watching him when we haven't got the ball. He busts a gut to get back in position and organise those around him - even in the last minutes of the game. That's what effective midfield play is all about as well as what he does on the ball. 

 

I agree with Holmowl - a pleasure to watch and I always look forward to watching him play.

 

True that, I was working with a Palace fan at the time we signed Bannan and he was gutted they'd let him go and that he should have been getting in the Palace team but the style of route one didn't suit him. 

 

Im firmly in the Bannan fan camp 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carlos hasn't helped him by constantly playing him even when out of form and we had Almen Abdi on the bench. 

 

I am not a Bannan fan when he tries to play as a 3rd centre half. When he pushes up between the opposites midfield and defence he is a much better player. 

 

Interesting to see what happens when Hutch comes back, because Bannan has to be dropped. But Carlos will probably drop Reach and play bannan on the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who else can play the creative central midfield role in this squad?  With the exception of Abdi (and the jury is out on him given injuries and intermittent appearances) there is simply no one else!  Hutch for all his fantastic qualities could certainly NOT play this role - he's far too defensively minded.  Lee is a different type of midfielder (energetic, short game and ball carrying) so neither could he.  Get off his back, Bannan is a class player at this level, and playing alongside Lee they are our key to a real tilt at promotion.  On top of all this Hooper has provided the missing piece in the jigsaw in his new deeper lying role providing the link between midfield and attack.  We no longer look disjointed and some of the intricate play from last year is starting to show again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 19:06, The Dukeries Owl said:

I think he comes under the heading "if you never try anything you'll never make a mistake" and he's never afraid to try something. He deserves to get cut some slack for losing the ball every now and again and the odd attempted pass that might not come off.

 

The alternative footballer is Darren Potter.

 

Absolutely, - creative players have to be allowed to make a few mistakes.  Otherwise they will stop trying the difficult passes that if successful result in a shot on goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×