Sheffield Wednesday Post-Mortem [Article]

Having had a fairly positive response from the last article I posted on here, I have done another analysing what went wrong in yesterdays defeat. It's certainly not a negative one, more so a review of what Hull did so well to stop us playing our natural game. Give at a read and let me know what you think

https://clftbl.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/play-off-final-defeat-sheffield-wednesday-post-mortem/

Very interesting write-up. How do you work out / get hold of those passing maps? The difference in our team shape against Brighton and Hull is startling.

Thanks for your comments.

It's data provided by Opta, I then manipulate them in statistical software.

Good write up.

We really struggled to get the ball to our front men didn't we? We just got stuck in our own half for much of the game and we made to be content with passing it backwards.

Not sure how we could have rectified that. Hutch kept them at bay, if he hadn't played we may well have lost by more. who knows?

Good write up.

We really struggled to get the ball to our front men didn't we? We just got stuck in our own half for much of the game and we made to be content with passing it backwards.

Not sure how we could have rectified that. Hutch kept them at bay, if he hadn't played we may well have lost by more. who knows?

Thanks for your comments.

Yes their big aggressive midfield was a real tough test. Luckily I'm not the one to make these decisions but I would have been tempted to put Nuhiu on earlier to try and knock his way through their defence with brute force.

But I'm not a manager and I have full belief in Carlos.

Interesting read mate, well balanced and thought through.

For me, I thought our lack of quality coming off the bench was telling. We've got a big lad, we've got a couple quick lads, one who can operate down the flank and one who can operate up front, but none who can really worry a top, strong and well organised team. We were second best throughout and didn't really have the quality to be able to change things

Also when we do our fast interchanging one touch passing we can beat anyone - this dissappears some games and we look ordinary- we also have a problem in midfield- Bannan and Lee are great going forward but are not quite good enough defensively so we have to put Hutch in and push Bannan out wide instead of being in the middle of the park. This means with Wallace on one wing and Bannan on the other FF has to play up top with Hooper which doesn't work very well.

The reason we need a strong pacy striker who can run behind is that it stops teams doing what Hull did ; playing the back four high and compressing the game.

Players like FF Lee and Hooper don't win physical battles but rely on playing between the opponents defence and midfield. Hull left no space for them .

A strong pacy striker and a pacy wide player would make it a lot more difficult for sides to play high

Nice review. Hull played a very smart game. The odd passage of play where we did get the ball moving we looked half reasonable and Hull struggled those few moments but were very quick in getting possession back and preventing us from playing our game.

Their experience showed when it counted...

Great review, I really like these analysis as with pre-match one.

Regarding the Diame comment, I was watching the game with a childhood mate, who supports West Ham. Diame used to be there and wanted better salary etc and got put up for transfer, ideally we wanted to go to Liverpool, but he's just not good enough. He's strong and fast and technically good, but his overview and tactical sense are 0. He'll power on through and fire at goal, if you saw the one where he shook off 3 Wednesday players, he was clean through on Westwood but still didn't look up, he just hit the ball full power and ofc rattled the post. A bit more thought to it and a player of his other qualities would put that away 9/10 times.

Great read mate. Good luck if this is your hoped for path. Would love to think people would pay me to write about Wednesday (but if youve read any of my posts.....)

One suggestion but maybe its billhooks. Perhaps an author's suggestion on what we could have done beeter, either with the starting XI or at HT?

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Really interesting and informative, especially in the context of all 3 promoted clubs having such strong , relatively recent premiership influence,including players , budgets, etc.

Question now is how we do Bournemouth next year, which might actually be an easier Championship as both Villa and Newcastle are such badly run clubs.

To address the issues highlighted in this article and past season generally, we need premiership - quality or potential players in following positions -

a dominant stopper, like Huth or Hull's centre halfs

an even better left back

a beast in midfield who can both protect FF and play a bit, like Carlton P

a flying winger who can also score and assist with goals, like a fit Alan Judge 

a real quality centre forward, similar to Connor Wickham

I'd really love any player suggestions for these positions. Let's assume DC will increase spending now, especially as he has such confidence - warranted after a fantastic first season here - in Carlos.

All of what you say is correct, they were well organised and well drilled, quick to the ball and won their 50/50 challenges. Their most influential players played well and kept their shape really well. Fair play to them and you for your good work. Keep it up, but don't give all our secrets away though !