New warm-up routines

No. I think the professionalism seen in warmup matters.

The sense of strategy, practice and preparation matters.

That's just me mind. P.S. Last season our shooting warm ups were often halrious for all the wrong reasons. It was pretty obvious why we weren't scoring more than a goal a match.

And virtually every side that came to Hillsborough ran the exact same routines that we did 

A bit of jogging, a bit of sprinting a bit of Stretching a bit of shooting and finish with a game of touch football

Its a warm up FFS 

They train in the week 

FFS warm ups are just that Warm ups

A few minutes before the game to warm up muscles get tendons and ligaments ready for 90+ minutes of the game nothing more nothing less

Different coaches will have different routines to achieve the same ends

I think they have different routines to make sure they don't achieve the same ends

I think that's the whole point of the different routines

I think they have different routines to make sure they don't achieve the same ends

I think that's the whole point of the different routines

No they warm up to meet the same ends 

90 minutes without injury due to cold muscles tight hamstrings etc ...................its a warm up

Guest _Ibbo_

And virtually every side that came to Hillsborough ran the exact same routines that we did

A bit of jogging, a bit of sprinting a bit of Stretching a bit of shooting and finish with a game of touch football

Its a warm up FFS

They train in the week

Actually they didn't. Leicester in the year they went up had completely different ones. Based around pressure and planning.

As did Watford and others. Generally the teams who were promoted had far far better pre-match setups than ours. But you have to be in the ground for about 2:30 to see the difference. Watching the kick about just after they come out of the tunnel isn't the same.

Its a warm up FFS 

They train in the week 

But they still did jogging, stretching and touch football yesterday.

But instead of shooting practice where Bullen gave them perfect balls to work with, they were put into a match scenario. Each player had a job.

Surely it's a positive that they're doing match scenario shooting/crossing practice 15 minutes before the real thing?

We're implementing a whole different style of football into the club and it needs to be constantly hammered home for it to work IMO.

Edited by FlyingOwl

Always looked at the professional game for tips in my own pre game warm ups....

Defensive line..formation..game plan...etc...and have yet to see something I haven't immemented At a Saturday level......been at hills borough and thought what the fooook are the professional ayers doing....hopefully new ideas will bring about more A little more pride...

hope if you made any notes, you could understand them... WTF:

Actually they didn't. Leicester in the year they went up had completely different ones. Based around pressure and planning.

As did Watford and others. Generally the teams who were promoted had far far better pre-match setups than ours. But you have to be in the ground for about 2:30 to see the difference. Watching the kick about just after they come out of the tunnel isn't the same.

You dont read the word virtually and probably most sides had subtle variations on a theme but ALL were more or less the same .........................and with a 10 year old im usually in the ground when the turnstyles open and saw every team warm up 

It grinds my gears that because we have a new regime and supposedly the football was turgid last season that means everything that Gray did was archaic and wrong which is bull.

Gray is acknowledged throughout football as an excellent coach and he oversaw every warm up.

and once again its a ferking warm up

You dont read the word virtually and probably most sides had subtle variations on a theme but ALL were more or less the same .........................and with a 10 year old im usually in the ground when the turnstyles open and saw every team warm up 

It grinds my gears that because we have a new regime and supposedly the football was turgid last season that means everything that Gray did was archaic and wrong which is bull.

Gray is acknowledged throughout football as an excellent coach and he oversaw every warm up.

No one's really knocking our old shooting practices though. I've never seen a variation on it in 13 years of going.

Yesterday was a refreshing change & I can see how it can benefit our players. It's only yesterday where I started questioning the logic of Bullen chucking the ball in the air for Maguire to smash as hard as possible, unchallenged. It's not realistic & you just saw the pleasure on most of the players faces when they got the ball high into the Kop.

Yes. It's a warm up & it's all about getting your body ready for the 90 minutes, getting a feel for the ball. But if you can also incorporate match scenario training into a pre-match warm up then where's the harm in that? I can only see positives.

I coach kids football and whilst doing the usual stretches I will use non-football games that help warm up to keep it fun & energetic. Those games will have coaching elements to them whether it be space awareness, communication etc. I then finish it off with a bit of coaching.

My mentor was an old school coach who has worked abroad for decades and was part of the Ajax set up when they were at their best. He always told me you can win a game just from the warm up as the opposition will always be watching & the warm up can out psyche them.

To say it's only a warm up is pretty ignorant tbh

Most are guided by strong scientific evidenced principles and managers also want them to be used to get players psychologically tuned in to the match ahead.

I think it's pretty sensible to run through phases of play in the warm up and lots of top clubs do it to some degree

Every warm up has a football element - that's the point of doing a specific warm up

To say it's only a warm up is pretty ignorant tbh

Most are guided by strong scientific evidenced principles and managers also want them to be used to get players psychologically tuned in to the match ahead.

I think it's pretty sensible to run through phases of play in the warm up and lots of top clubs do it to some degree

Every warm up has a football element - that's the point of doing a specific warm up

And so did every one of Wednesdays 

But its still essentially there to warm the body up to get it ready for 90 mins play 

.................or are you seriously telling me that Gray left routines he wanted in the match until 40 mins before the game and ran them in front of his opponents

Its a warm up and there are many ways to warm up

And so did every one of Wednesdays 

But its still essentially there to warm the body up to get it ready for 90 mins play 

.................or are you seriously telling me that Gray left routines he wanted in the match until 40 mins before the game and ran them in front of his opponents

Its a warm up and there are many ways to warm up

Cannot see anywhere where I've said that Gray left routines until 40 mins before the game?!?

There are lots of ways to a warm up - but they will all have the same elements based on a scientific protocol

It's easy to incorporate a phase of play into a warm up - all the ingredients are there that satisfy the criteria

Conversely are you saying our new coaching team are idiotic buffoons who don't know how to do a warm up?

Asked Tom Lees if he was enjoying the warm up. His look told me he wasn't. That coach who had them up in top corner didn't speak a word of English but managed to get his drills across ok. The looks he was giving that embarrassing mess Tango were ace. Best frown I've ever seen.

Cannot see anywhere where I've said that Gray left routines until 40 mins before the game?!?

There are lots of ways to a warm up - but they will all have the same elements based on a scientific protocol

It's easy to incorporate a phase of play into a warm up - all the ingredients are there that satisfy the criteria

Conversely are you saying our new coaching team are idiotic buffoons who don't know how to do a warm up?

Im expressly not saying that 

IMO some posters implied that what went before was amateurish and rubbish and this new regime are better because they warm up slightly differently 

Edited by Lawrie Madden