Lloyd Isgrove

Guest owl from retford

Old-fashioned wingers are dying out, and with good reason: a 2010 study found that crosses accounted for about 16% of all goals scored in Champions League games, and only one of every 92 crosses actually produced a goal, making it a very inefficient use of possession.

A more recent study of Premier League matches over the past 5 seasons discovered that the average team surrenders possession 73 times for every one cross that leads to a goal. One conclusion from the study was that the average team would score an additional 0.57 goals a game if they ditched crosses and simply elected to start their attack all over again. The longer a team spend trying to win back possession lost as a result of crossing the ball, the less time they have to create genuine openings, resulting in a lower goal tally.

Pacy wingers getting to the byline might get fans off our seats, but there's an argument that they actually hinder a team more than they help them.

Maybe in the champions league & the premier league but in the championship last season the Bournmouth blueprint of starting with 2 wingers and having 2 more on the bench didn't do too bad.

Maybe in the champions league & the premier league but in the championship last season the Bournmouth blueprint of starting with 2 wingers and having 2 more on the bench didn't do too bad.

Didn't Bournemouth's wingers tend to cut in and link up play or look for through balls much more than they dashed towards the byline looking to cross the ball, though?

They used very 'modern' wingers, as far as I'm aware.

Guest Number9

It's hard to say. On what iv seen I'd be happy to see him here for a season. But we have no idea the type of quality were actually going for. We can live in hope that he is way off the mark on quality compared to who were after.

It's hard to say. On what iv seen I'd be happy to see him here for a season. But we have no idea the type of quality were actually going for. We can live in hope that he is way off the mark on quality compared to who were after.

It would be nice but I think we may have some fans very disappointed. I think we will improve the squad but dont imagine we will be bringing in any world beaters.

Old-fashioned wingers are dying out, and with good reason: a 2010 study found that crosses accounted for about 16% of all goals scored in Champions League games, and only one of every 92 crosses actually produced a goal, making it a very inefficient use of possession.

A more recent study of Premier League matches over the past 5 seasons discovered that the average team surrenders possession 73 times for every one cross that leads to a goal. One conclusion from the study was that the average team would score an additional 0.57 goals a game if they ditched crosses and simply elected to start their attack all over again. The longer a team spend trying to win back possession lost as a result of crossing the ball, the less time they have to create genuine openings, resulting in a lower goal tally.

Pacy wingers getting to the byline might get fans off our seats, but there's an argument that they actually hinder a team more than they help them.

whats the stats for the championship, cos these mean sod all to us

whats the stats for the championship, cos these mean sod all to us

The general principle of a cross being a relatively wasteful use of possession applies at all levels of the game, though I take your point that perhaps this factor diminishes the further down the ladder you go, due to players being less skilled and therefore less likely to pick an effective pass.

Bournemouth were the most effective crossers in the Championship last season, managing to score a goal every other game from a cross. However, they still averaged 44 crosses for every goal they scored as a result.

if we do sign him, he will be better than he was last season. that little dip of games he played will help him no end in preparing and knowing what to expect next season. for this reason i want him back as i thought he was decent with a good work-rate. the pitch is a stupendously big reason why players like Isgrove didnt shine offensively for us at home last season.

i expect  Bus, Lavery, Melo and Isgrove if he signs, to surprise us next year with their standard. i expect they will up it a notch.

wont surprise me if Vermijl does the same, i bet on a carpet he will be great up that right flank, just hope hes up to it defensively.

The general principle of a cross being a relatively wasteful use of possession applies at all levels of the game, though I take your point that perhaps this factor diminishes the further down the ladder you go, due to players being less skilled and therefore less likely to pick an effective pass.

Bournemouth were the most effective crossers in the Championship last season, managing to score a goal every other game from a cross. However, they still averaged 44 crosses for every goal they scored as a result.

Be interesting to see what percentage of attempted through balls from the middle end up as a goal. One thing I know for sure is that if you put the ball into the right area it causes pressure , and pressure leads to mistakes and mistakes lead to goals. Can remember when DJ had us in championship we seemed to panic whenever a good quality cross came into the area and could almost sense the pressure building

Also have to have the right kind of strikers who attack the ball in and around the area. Only striker who looked like he does this is bus ,, judging by what I've seen of him. Take the chance lavery missed last season was all because he didn't gamble and attack the far post, to me all strikers should do this

It would be a while before this happened even if we were interested in him. I remember the video which said he wanted to go back and do pre-season with Southampton and then discuss his future with the management. If it was deemed he wasn't in the first team picture (which I doubt he will be) then he said he would assess his options.

Be interesting to see what percentage of attempted through balls from the middle end up as a goal. One thing I know for sure is that if you put the ball into the right area it causes pressure , and pressure leads to mistakes and mistakes lead to goals. Can remember when DJ had us in championship we seemed to panic whenever a good quality cross came into the area and could almost sense the pressure building

Definitely. You'd be mad to rule out crosses as a valuable source of goals, but the days of the old-fashioned winger who picks the ball up, runs for the corner flag and whips in a cross are numbered precisely because of how wasteful this approach tends to be. To have two players on your team whose main aim is to deliver the type of ball which more often than not gives away possession is not a great long-term plan, which is why the modern winger will look to link up play, cut inside, dribble towards goal etc... as well as looking to play targeted crosses when the opportunity presents itself.

There's a reason why the three teams who just got promoted are all in the top six for the number of short passes played over the course of the season: because positive, targeted passing will always give you a better chance of creating a goalscoring opportunity than hitting it into an area of the pitch in the hope that one of your team mates will get on the end of it.

Of course, all of this counts for nothing if you don't have players who are capable of playing this way. In that case, you're best to hoof it!

gary megson

Old-fashioned wingers are dying out, and with good reason: a 2010 study found that crosses accounted for about 16% of all goals scored in Champions League games, and only one of every 92 crosses actually produced a goal, making it a very inefficient use of possession.

A more recent study of Premier League matches over the past 5 seasons discovered that the average team surrenders possession 73 times for every one cross that leads to a goal. One conclusion from the study was that the average team would score an additional 0.57 goals a game if they ditched crosses and simply elected to start their attack all over again. The longer a team spend trying to win back possession lost as a result of crossing the ball, the less time they have to create genuine openings, resulting in a lower goal tally.

Will you post a link to the findings of this study? I'd be intrigued to have a read

Guest TommyTank

The lack of goals from crosses comes with the lack of real Centre Forwards at the highest level.

Barcelona arent going to be smashing crosses in for Suarez, Messi and Neymar are they.

It all depends how a team sets up, no point having amazing delivery from outwide with no one to attack it.

No point having a beast CF up top and no delivery.

Look how mad we have all gone over Harry Kane because we might have found a CF.

There is still a place for it and I enjoy watchin it.

Will you post a link to the findings of this study? I'd be intrigued to have a read

Here's the article I got the stats from:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-outdated-soccer-tactics-a-cross-to-bear-keeping-possession-is-the-way-to-goal-1402007011

It's an interesting read, if nothing else. I can't seem to track down the original reports the article references online, though.

Remember most of us saw him trying to play on that bobbly pitch! First touch will always be a bit heavier and ball won't run as cleanly... On a decent pitch I'm sure we would see a lot more that he could do! He's tenacious and wins a lot of challenges despite his frame and he's lightening quick too! I'd have him back in a heartbeat! Definitely got a big career ahead of him if he continues to develop like he has.