What was January all about?

For the life of me, I don't understand Gray's dealings in that window. For the first time, blessed with the resources to do something in the transfer market, his moves left me bewildered. Six signings, and only one addressed an area where we were lacking. If, as people keep saying, the signings were made with next season in mind, shouldn't we be playing them now, bedding them in for next season?

We had an opportunity to finish strongly, or at least create the nucleus of the side that will start next season. Our dealings, if anything, unsettled the squad and hardly laid the foundations for next season. How many of those starting on Saturday, would we like to see starting in August? 2 or 3 maximum I'd guess. I think I lost a bit of belief in the manager during this period.

Edited by gurujuan

Yesterday's line up and substitutions seemed like Gray sending a message to the new management. Maghoma starting and only playing with one striker. And yes the January signings too, Bus coming on in the 85th minute? He was the leading scorer in a European league and wanted by Serie A teams. And Melo on the bench is just weird. If he wasn't fit then put McCabe there or a youngster etc. I don't get why we've bothered keeping Keane with us once he got injured and Baker is showing in a proper footballing team that he is actually a good youngster. Vermijl has looked like the defender that was a bit clueless for Man Utd and not a player with real potential. I really hope yesterday was a case of Gray sticking two fingers up at someone and that he's leaving, coz if it wasn't then he really is not a good manager and we are stuck with him for a while longer

We needed strikers - we signed Keane and bus. One was a highly rated man utd youth player, the other a top scorer in their league (where have we heard that before).

Baker was clearly signed incase we didn't get mcgugan, but actually he seems to be doing the business for mk dons, so maybe one we let slip.

Vermijl is obviously a longer term signing, although I don't rate him, as is melo, who hasn't got going yet but shows signs of being decent.

Of those 6, one went back, 3 have been injured, leaving only 2 to regularly compete for a place.

Why is it that when our signings are showing poor form, people say that they weren't made by the manager/coach? But Tom Lees and Westwood were definitely his!

Maybe because Westwood and Lees were bought under a different ownership and when Chansiri bought us suddenly we bought 2 unknown foreign players, who Gray hasn't been picking as much as players that came in before the new ownership. Even Vermijl has been on the bench until we had chronic injuries.

Maybe because Westwood and Lees were bought under a different ownership and when Chansiri bought us suddenly we bought 2 unknown foreign players, who Gray hasn't been picking as much as players that came in before the new ownership. Even Vermijl has been on the bench until we had chronic injuries.

If that is the case, and for all I know, it could be, it ain't a good scenario going forward

Guest totemowl

In my opinion, only McGugan did Only my opinion though

If you remember back then Palmer was the only right back available, and was not playing too well. So needed strengthening. vermilj was available to sign.

Desparately needed 1 if not 2 strikers, so Bus and Keane.

Semedo was in and out mainly because of injury. He had also been struggling, hence Melo.

So imo have all been useful additions, that we might have otherwise missed out on, that are good prospects for the future.

But at the same time, none have yet consistently Imposed themselves as we might have hoped for.

In terms of numbers, we're finishing the season with a well stocked striker department. However, they're all a bit of a much of a muchness, they don't offer the classic target man option, none have pace or power, and none look to be prolific goalscorers. We've just ended up with more of the same. That's the same all over the squad, yes we may have strength in depth in terms of numbers, but we lack variation and quality. That's the reason people are saying we need to bring in a dozen new players. At this stage, we really shouldn't be needing to do that