What was January all about?

Guest Deleted member

Had Gray concentrated on signing McGugan, and one preferably two quality strikers (not Keane or Bus) only at the beginning of January we would be in or just outside the play offs now

Maybe Chris Wood and Kenwyne

Edited by Deleted member

Guest totemowl

In terms of numbers, we're finishing the season with a well stocked striker department. However, they're all a bit of a much of a muchness, they don't offer the classic target man option, none have pace or power, and none look to be prolific goalscorers. We've just ended up with more of the same. That's the same all over the squad, yes we may have strength in depth in terms of numbers, but we lack variation and quality. That's the reason people are saying we need to bring in a dozen new players. At this stage, we really shouldn't be needing to do that

It's because we've still got a relatively small squad and 13-14 are out if contract, that people are saying we need to bring a dozen in. Nothing unusual in that at all.

And at this stage, with our plans, it's precisely what we should be doing.

It's because we've still got a relatively small squad and 13-14 are out if contract, that people are saying we need to bring a dozen in. Nothing unusual in that at all.

And at this stage, with our plans, it's precisely what we should be doing.

Possibly, but looking closer at the striking options for example, with only Madine out of contract, does that mean that we will be stuck with the same mediocrity as we have this season? Our main failings have been in attacking areas, so surely it's a concern that we will still have four strikers who offer very little

I think everything seems to be up in the air at the moment. No one really knows if we are going to spend big in the Summer. No one really knows if we are going to release the majority of players who are out of contract or keep a solid core of them.

We don't almost 3 months on know that much about the players signed in January though I don't think Vermijl's a good defender but he might turn into a good winger?

After yesterday I just can't see Gray being the man to take us forward and I can appreciate the views of fans who think otherwise. He might well be helped in the recruitment process by Pearson and Roeder but it probably won't stop him from playing one upfront, strikers on the wings, dropping players when they're on form and bizarre team selections, substitutions and tactics?

Really? Its obvious to me that at the end of this season Gray has been giving those out of contract or who have something to prove the game time to either prove it or we get rid knowing that we arent making a mistake with letting them go / moving them on (Maghoma, Maguire, Semedo, Zayatte, Lavery).

Really? Its obvious to me that at the end of this season Gray has been giving those out of contract or who have something to prove the game time to either prove it or we get rid knowing that we arent making a mistake with letting them go / moving them on (Maghoma, Maguire, Semedo, Zayatte, Lavery).

I would have thought he would have known the answers to those questions by now There seem to be more question marks about the likes of Vermijl, Melo and Bus We really should have the nucleus of next seasons side in place by now

Guest wilyfox

That is why I'm pleased with the new committee. It limits the possibility of one man doing silly things with recruitment. I'm all for recruitment decisions being made amongst the three of them.

I don't particularly understand the contract extension for Kelhar, couldn't get a game....despite the injuries and mistakes in that department

Probably more of a moral thing than everything.

He uprooted and moved to this country, had a steady preseason & learned the language.

Desperately unlucky to get that bad an injury so early into his career here.

Some clubs will have sent him on his way, after seeing him take a massive backward step in his career through no fault on his part. We opted to extend his deal to at least give him the chance to prove himself. 

It's not worked out. We'll part ways and wish him the best of luck.

Some will say there's no room for niceties in football. While that's right to an extent, you've got to think of footballers on a human level sometimes. Dejan deserved some sort of opportunity to prove himself. 

Only deal I'm remotely perplexed by is the Vermijil one. I'm not someone who likes to judge players too quickly, but it's clear as mud that Palmer and Buxton are streets ahead of him. Only thing I can think of is that he was brought in when Buxton had no hope of a contract. Now he's playing....god knows what we'll do contract wise.

Edited by FlyingOwl

That is why I'm pleased with the new committee. It limits the possibility of one man doing silly things with recruitment. I'm all for recruitment decisions being made amongst the three of them.

Yes, hopefully there'll be more of a plan now, so we can avoid the ad hoc recruitment of recent times

Grays squad has always been getting overhauled this summer, yesterday's defeat hasn't changed anything.

Looking at it from another side, finishing 14th will show chansiri just how far away we actually are. This should help spur everybody on to make sure recruitment is poo hot this summer, hopefully it's the end of freebie journeyman and part season loans