The Wednesday for 2017

Guest AbbeyOwl

The precursor to the football club, was known colloquially as 'The Wednesday' I think it goes back to at least the 1820s, I can't be sure. The football club probably registered as Sheffield Wednesday by all accounts but in general was referred to as 'The Wednesday'. I think match reports and league registration documents go for the fuller versions/variants that included the city name. This is one for historians amongst us I suspect. I do know that some Wednesday fans revived the original cricket club name a few years back and play as The Wednesday Cricket Club locally, at least I think they do.

Personally, I like 'The Wednesday' as it has an air of uniqueness and authority. Our nickname is also special. UTO

Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic to AFC B'mouth

Scunthorpe and Lindsey Utd to Scunthorpe United

Wimbledon to M.K. Dons

Royal Arsenal to Arsenal FC

Small Heath to Birmingham

Birmingham to Birmingham City

Newton Heath to Man Utd

I could go on.   How many examples would you like?

Also Orient to Leyton Orient was fairly recent i think

My point was that they are named after an Arsenal. In Woolwich. So they are named after a place.

Port Vale was known as a place on maps in the 19th century, when they were founded.

The only one I could think of was Orient. It's reckoned that Orient were named after the Orient Shipping Company, so even they would have had a place / location.

So being called The Wednesday, in the modern era, in English professional football, would probably be unique, as no place or physical feature existed with that name.

Not bad but I still prefer Sheffield Wednesday.

learned summat there ,i always thought orient were so called because the they played in the east end of london .

Sorry, not read the whole thread, but didn't DeeJayOne post something last year about the FA having already denied us the chance to change our name for our 150th anniversary?

I don't recall reading that but he did post a thread about a one off kit that was designed as a 20th anniversary celebration of winning the League Cup in 91 that the club wanted to wear in games. It had a watermark picture of Sheridan lifting the cup. The FA refused due to the image I believe, stating we could use the club name, owl etc but not the League Cup.

I think they got the name by occident

Genius

Lived in Italy for a while and it is said folk associated with Juventus cos it was location independent. They are the Man U of Italy which is odd insofar as it was Torino who suffered the kind of tragedy/ loss of a team in its prime that propelled Man U into the public consciousness. That said I agree with poster who pointed out possibility of franchise theft if there is no location connection. I suppose it didn't stop the MK Dons heist but a move to Bangkok would be more problematic for season ticket holders than 50 miles up the M1.

'Sheffield' was used by journalists and fixture compilers out of necessity, basically so fans and players knew where to go lol

Eventually Sheffield became adopted, even emblazoned on the Olive Grove stand. However, Sheffield was not officially incorporated into the name until later. 

The Cricket Club has always and remains 'The Wednesday Cricket Club' though there will be those who refer to us as Sheffield Wednesday CC.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

'Sheffield' was used by journalists and fixture compilers out of necessity, basically so fans and players knew where to go lol

Eventually Sheffield became adopted, even emblazoned on the Olive Grove stand. However, Sheffield was not officially incorporated into the name until later. 

:stuwinky:

Guest AbbeyOwl

That's shocking pal .

I belt out every word, still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up , it will tonight in front of a half empty ground.

Great song

Shocking? Really? Shagging your Gran is shocking saying alot of fans dont know all the words to a song is not shocking lol

Guest AbbeyOwl

That's shocking pal .

I belt out every word, still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up , it will tonight in front of a half empty ground.

Great song

Erm I checked tonight people sing 5 words, most interesting bit of my night haha