The Wednesday for 2017

Guest AbbeyOwl

You've not answered the question that was asked.

But all those teams you have mentioned were named after a very real place.

Arsenal was not named after a place called Arsenal. The tube station was named after them

The Royal Arsenal manufactured weapons and was in Woolwich. Their original name, Royal Arsenal, did not include the place. They then became Woolwich Arsenal and then The Arsenal

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest totemowl

Arsenal was not named after a place called Arsenal. The tube station was named after them

The Royal Arsenal manufactured weapons and was in Woolwich. Their original name, Royal Arsenal, did not include the place. They then became Woolwich Arsenal and then The Arsenal

My point was that they are named after an Arsenal. In Woolwich. So they are named after a place.

Port Vale was known as a place on maps in the 19th century, when they were founded.

The only one I could think of was Orient. It's reckoned that Orient were named after the Orient Shipping Company, so even they would have had a place / location.

So being called The Wednesday, in the modern era, in English professional football, would probably be unique, as no place or physical feature existed with that name.

Not bad but I still prefer Sheffield Wednesday.

My point was that they are named after an Arsenal. In Woolwich. So they are named after a place.

Port Vale was known as a place on maps in the 19th century, when they were founded.

The only one I could think of was Orient. It's reckoned that Orient were named after the Orient Shipping Company, so even they would have had a place / location.

So being called The Wednesday, in the modern era, in English professional football, would probably be unique, as no place or physical feature existed with that name.

Not bad but I still prefer Sheffield Wednesday.

We are named after a place in time. That time is a 24 hour period in midweek called Wednesday. We are named after that place.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

If we changed our name to The Wednesday - would we be the only team in England that doesn't mention where it's from in it's name?

I expect to have loads of examples thrown at me now.......

Just Port Vale and Arsenal

We'd have to rethink a few songs though#

Hark now hear The Wednesday Sing...

We're all Wednesday aren't we...

Wednesday, you've got me wondering...

The Wednesday *clap clap clap* The Wednesday...

Hello, hello, we are The Wednesday boys...

Oh Wednesday, you've got me singing the blues...

Honolulu Wednesday...

You've only come to see The Wednesday...

i know the official name was "the wednesday" but the club always called themself sheffield wednesday .... back at olive grove the

stand had sheffield wednesday written on the roof .when ever dunsby puts stuff on from the early days again its mostly sheffield

wednesday ........we are from sheffield i dont quite understand why anyone would want to drop the name of our city .

I was thinking about this a while ago. The club should be starting to think about the 150th anniversary soon and this should deffo be one I think the fans would go along with. Maybe kit change. I thought we played in blue with white sleeves first? We could all turn up in Victorian garb.

I've been doing that for years !!

i know the official name was "the wednesday" but the club always called themself sheffield wednesday .... back at olive grove the

stand had sheffield wednesday written on the roof .when ever dunsby puts stuff on from the early days again its mostly sheffield

wednesday ........we are from sheffield i dont quite understand why anyone would want to drop the name of our city .

Six months after forming we were calling ourself Sheffield Wednesday! March 1868

30-3-1868%20WFC_zpsii3mu7mm.jpg

The workers at the Royal Arsenal formed a football team called Dial Square(after the name of the office complex within the Arsenal) they were subsequently known as Royal Arsenal, then Woolwich Reds, then Woolwich Arsenal, then finally as Arsenal FC after they moved to Highbury.

There are plenty of precedents if we decided to change our name.

So is "The Wednesday" one of the oldest chants in football then? It must have been chanted for years.

so is "come on the blades" but would those who want us to change like our original nickname back as well......