The Wednesday for 2017

Guest AbbeyOwl

I'd definitely vote for The Wednesday.

The Wednesday Football Club of Sheffield.

We'd have to rethink a few songs though#

I don't understand this

We have been called The Wednesday, and Sheffield Wednesday

Now you propose a new third name

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest totemowl

We have a brand....really? Do you speak to many people outside of Sheffield? Most people say 'oh yeah werent you in the Premier League once, are you in League 2 now, or somewhere'

I love Wednesday but to suggest we would tarnish our brand is ludicrous.

It would be a decision for 'us' to celebrate a big milestone, no-one else would give a throw and i wouldnt want them to.

I'm mainly going off anecdotes from supporters who've been to different countries. There's been plenty on here. And even Bryan Robson's been televised promoting Sheffield Wednesday in Thailand.

When they see The Wednesday will that recognition remain. In most cases I expect not.

Who suggested tarnishing our brand? not me, but you seem to be coming close with that muppet statement up top.

Guest SolihullOwl

Solihull Borough merged with Birmingham Moors to be known as Solihull Moors. That's in the conference leagues and occurred in 2007.

Wimbledon changed names to MK Dons and relocated some 50 odd miles away to Milton Keynes.

If we change names which using the above examples The FA would not have a justifiable reason to stop, it would do two major negative things, 1) Take away the identity of the city of Sheffield from the club, 2) Present opportunity to move away from Sheffield almost like in NFL in USA with their franchises and pretty much what happened to Wimbledon.

I say keep our name as it is. Nothing wrong with merchandise for the fans with The Wednesday on it and commemorate articles to celebrate. But keep the official brand as is.

Dependent on how rich he is, sell Middlewood to developers for housing or whatever. Build a new stadium in Hillsborough Park away from the river. Redevelop existing stadium for training and youth development. Brand the new stadium something like Steel City Stadium of Sheffield sponsored by x((TUF)). Have the stadium made from using steel forgers in Sheffield, built by local firms using Thai architecture!

How brilliant would that be?

Guest totemowl

What we can do is change our badge name, logos, etc to 'The Wednesday'

Doesn't require an official name change.

Like that. Works for me.

Perhaps for one season. It's a global game now so better to have that Sheffield link in our name. Better for us and better for Sheffield.

Why the Sheffield bit ? They no longer call em London Arsenel so what's the problem with global branding for The Wednesday?

*** Sheffield, they can't promote emselves let alone a super team...

Amy example from the last 100 years? The league won't allow it. This is the Football League, not a works snooker competition.

Leyton Orient-Orient-Leyton Orient

Edit

Oops. Already beaten to it.

Edited by M Royds