LEON BEST

Guest wilyfox

Maybe Blackburn didn't want to send him to a team so close in the league

I'll go with this ^^

Tactical/strategic loaning.

Edited by wilyfox

Maybe Blackburn didn't want to send him to a team so close in the league

Doesn't make sense as they loaned him to Derby who at the time, would have been considered a rival. I would like to think that it was because we have better lined up, although sadly, it's more likely to be what Brighton were prepared to pay

Guest wilyfox

Doesn't make sense as they loaned him to Derby who at the time, would have been considered a rival. I would like to think that it was because we have better lined up, although sadly, it's more likely to be what Brighton were prepared to pay

I disagree. Derby were always likely to be contenders for automatic promotion. Blackburn were not - and realistically, they'd have known that. At the business end of the season, we're in direct competition with Blackburn. They're not gonna help our cause.

I disagree. Derby were always likely to be contenders for automatic promotion. Blackburn were not - and realistically, they'd have known that. At the business end of the season, we're in direct competition with Blackburn. They're not gonna help our cause.

I don't know, any side with Gestede and Rhodes leading the line will have fancied themselves for the automatics.

Guest wilyfox

I don't know, any side with Gestede and Rhodes leading the line will have fancied themselves for the automatics.

Bowyer had the pair of them last season as well. They were way off the pace for automatic. I'm sure Blackburn will have targeted/still be targeting the play-offs, but Derby were already a well oiled machine going into this season - and a class above. Bowyer's not silly. He would also have known that Best wasn't good enough to oust Chris Martin anyway. So loaning to Derby was a financial win for them because they potentially saved a year on his bumper contract.