One Issue With Stuart Gray

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

He has to learn when to make a substitution.

It's like he just continues with it because he's sure it will change and when he works out it won't it's far too late.

Nuhiu should have gone off much earlier - it just wasn't working for him even from the first minute, so half time change it - but he left it.

Lee probably could have made way a little earlier for Semedo try and get a grip in midfield and allow McGugan to push forward, which he hasn't really done so far, he's known for getting in the box, shooting from range but we haven't seen any of that yet.

Even after they scored there was times when we only had Lavery in the box when we are attacking, it's ridiculous how many times we attack and only have one player in the box against 3 defenders.

The defensive side is generally brilliant but IMO there is way too much emphasis on it. Going back to McGugan he is playing far too deep, he is a goalscoring midfield player yet he's hardly had a shot for us, or bust a gut to get in the box.

Edited by Sheff Owl

It's like he just continues with it because he's sure it will change and when he works out it won't it's far too late.

Nuhiu should have gone off much earlier - it just wasn't working for him even from the first minute, so half time change it - but he left it.

Lee probably could have made way a little earlier for Semedo try and get a grip in midfield and allow McGugan to push forward, which he hasn't really done so far, he's known for getting in the box, shooting from range but we haven't seen any of that yet.

Even after they scored there was times when we only had Lavery in the box when we are attacking, it's ridiculous how many times we attack and only have one player in the box against 3 defenders.

The defensive side is generally brilliant but IMO there is way too much emphasis on it. Going back to McGugan he is playing far too deep, he is a goalscoring midfield player yet he's hardly had a shot for us, or bust a gut to get in the box.

Good post. I would have put Semedo on to shore up the midfield as Lee and McGugan were getting caught out of position and as for Nuhui the less said the better.

I have felt isn't proactive enough when it comes to subs for a long time tbh, he never makes an impact change at half-time. It's always "I have faith in you, go out and prove it" type of talk from Gray it seems. Often good but he really does need to know when to change things around.

Substitutions are there to take advantage of and yet it seems to me that he only likes to do them when he has to. 

Almost like an advert for the January window you mean ?

If this is really the intention and he does command a transfer fee then I promise

I will give up and join the legion of Owlstalkers that only ever post about the credibility of other opinions by other posters.

AaaaaH I suddelny understand Owlstalk: DJzzmdu.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We play far better with Nuhiu on the pitch. FACT.  If we had another option(which of course we should have..MILAN??) then I would say fine but Lavery is not the answer my friends.

What annoys me is that we'll take Nuhiu off but our shape or the way we attack doesn't change. We'll still punt long even though we don't have enough to win it. We'll still play down the wings and look to cross even if there is no one in the box.

The major thing that annoys me with Gray is reluctance to change. No plan b.

What annoys me is that we'll take Nuhiu off but our shape or the way we attack doesn't change. We'll still punt long even though we don't have enough to win it. We'll still play down the wings and look to cross even if there is no one in the box.

The major thing that annoys me with Gray is reluctance to change. No plan b.

no plan b...... Cliche bingo.

Exactly what I was thinking from 65mins onwards. I was waiting for the changes because you could see that McGugan wasn't tracking back very well at all.

To make matters worse May was tracking back / ball chasing - playing in midfield!!!?? It seemed him and Drenthe were the only ones playing with any desire

We are a well organised 442 team but when that does not work we struggle. First half we did ok but second half we let McDonald run the game while our centre midfield went missing. Gray did nothing to stop this.

Most wanted the team he picked but too many people underestimate the value of Semedo . He is the anchor in midfield who gives the others the base and freedom to play.He would have stopped McDonald.

Gray needs to show more flexibility and change the system when things are not working.