We're losing the fans

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Football is and will always be a results business, I don't think it should be, I think it should be about going out there and having a go at the other team and being open and creative.

But its not.

And the reason why? Because everyone wants to win, at any cost, dive for the penalty, park the bus after getting a goal up, slow the game down. 

People are not whinging because we are not entertaining, its because since the City game we have been on a bad run.

genuine question would you rather see a great game that we lose or a bore fest 1-0 win .i´d wager if we had won 4 home games 1-0we´d be pulling 25k as we´d be top of the league and saying what great support we have .

Im from the 80s and 90s era.For me I have to see good football.I dispise bore fests lol

Even if its not Barcelona style its got to be attacking get it in the box excitement.

It honestly is not all about the premier league for me.

I just want to be on a level playing field ,which ffp and the take over should have brought.

Tbh I think the takeover collapse was what got a few people down

Finally we could compete.We were in the same boat as forest and Watford.

But then bang back down to earth.

Ill keep going but I did wag the Norwich game when I wasn't working and could have gone.

But even though we are mid table and not looking terrible I still feel disappointed.

Its stasis..its Lassitude..its apathy, its one belaboured bang on drum or a disheartened toot on a trumpet...a song that fades out on the Kop before its hardly started...

Its a reflection of the boardroom, cos the same symptoms are there...nowts happening...

The team is set up purely to react at the minute, the boardrooms set up to simply paddle along collecting points in a net floating between the rocks of relegation and a distant shoreline thats the Prem...but no f.ookers gonna set sail for the shoreline...We simply try and stay away from the rocks.

There is simply no ambition there, bar wanting to sell the club...How does that energise the 20'000 silly tw *ts that turn up week on week?.It can't...the fans are there now through sheer bloody habit, Oh hum..its Saturday..don scarf...toddle down..sit there..go home..

Is it a fiver a ticket Tuesday night...it bloody ought to be...no disrespect to Bournemouth, going great..but its hardly on yer Wednesday fans top ten teams to play on a Tuesday in november...with the champs league on the telly...What do the club do to drag folk offa the sofa?

Nowt..

is it cos they aren't bothered?..Is it cos they are f.ookin' stupid...or is it cos they actually know that Owls fans would pass up watching Barcelona in the cosy comfort of their own home, to sit in the cold and watch cross after cross hit the first man?..I dunno.

I'm a season ticket holder, but I would gladly sit next to someone who had paid a fiver..even if it was just for shared bodily warmth...

The fans are taken granted...the fans know they are taken for granted, but the board don't know that the fans know...So along we drift...one oar paddlin' and looking aghast cos we are going around in circles...

Can't believe some of the drama in this thread after one of our best starts in years.

Do some of you have strops like this when you don't get the Christmas presents you want?

Its all relative mate...I don't see much drama in this..just meek acceptance...Drama would suggest some sort of excitement....

Can't believe some of the drama in this thread after one of our best starts in years.

Do some of you have strops like this when you don't get the Christmas presents you want?

Great start... but horrendous since City both in results and team performances

Its all relative mate...I don't see much drama in this..just meek acceptance...Drama would suggest some sort of excitement....

Exactly, and in relation to last year we are streets ahead and slowly improving.

I just think some perspective is needed at times. We now have one of the best defences in the league but admittedly things aren't great going forward. We need to be patient, Gray is doing a very good job and still operating under fairly tight budget restraints and when taking this into account we are actually do ok. Top half finish would a big improvement but some people have convinced themselves we should hitting the playoffs.

People come to vent.

It reads like drama but in 99% of cases it isn't.Its just forum stuff.

Asteener summed it up for me.

I know fans who went home and away for 20 years and now they dont go at all.How can you be so passionate about something and then lose interest?

Well, many have and we can argue about why.

But two signings and a change of tactics and it could all be smiles again but i think it will take a few years of relative success to drag many of the missing fans back.

Exactly, and in relation to last year we are streets ahead and slowly improving.

I just think some perspective is needed at times. We now have one of the best defences in the league but admittedly things aren't great going forward. We need to be patient, Gray is doing a very good job and still operating under fairly tight budget restraints and when taking this into account we are actually do ok. Top half finish would a big improvement but some people have convinced themselves we should hitting the playoffs.

Finishing 4th from bottom or 7th from top...same thing really...stasis...going nowhere..fans have worked it out...they still come and that in itself is laudable, but they come with no expectation...it takes a couple of early goals or a ridiculous refs decision to get anyone going lately...

Post number 15 (Gershwin) is spot on.  The last 15 years of unremitting misery are taking their toll. We NEVER have a good cup run, and in only 2 seasons in 15 have we had anything like success, and that was in the third division. To still get 22,000 is remarkable. I salute all Wednesday fans who suffered so much and still turn up. I wouldn't miss it for the world, no matter what.

Post number 15 (Gershwin) is spot on.  The last 15 years of unremitting misery are taking their toll. We NEVER have a good cup run, and in only 2 seasons in 15 have we had anything like success, and that was in the third division. To still get 22,000 is remarkable. I salute all Wednesday fans who suffered so much and still turn up. I wouldn't miss it for the world, no matter what.

We won't ever have a good cup run if we don't take the competitions seriously

I think the big issue here is that the football being served up in home games is crap.

There's only one game this season that I've actually come away from Hillsborough in a positive mood, the game against Forest. Yes we lost but at least we had a go, the goalmouth scrambles, the desperate Forest defending. On another day we'd have won that game and rightly so.

The Reading game... We won thanks to an awful free kick that got lucky. Apart from that we hardly created any chances, there was no edge of the seat stuff and no sign that a goal was coming.

I never expected us to be challenging around the play offs and if I'm being honest were higher than what I thought we'd be at this current time.

The football though is totally uninspiring, you'd accept mid-table and plenty of inconsistency if at the very least the games offered a bit more excitement.

It's hardly surprising that more people won't be paying their hard earned cash to watch the utter dross that's been seen at Hillsborough this season.

3 goals in 7 home games, none from open play says it all.

Sort it out Wednesday.

Now for a serious response, don't get into a debate unless you want to hear another point of view. Its the interwebs people are full of opinions.

I have read your post, you sound fed up and demoralised with Wednesday, which is shocking considering this is one of the few times in recent years we have actually been ok. I refer to my post of a couple of months ago that we would have good and bad runs this season. We are having a bad run (although not that bad) it will be followed by another good run, just wait and see.

On another point Customer/Fans, which are you as this is not a business transaction to be honest, I go because I love those blue and white wizards. Even when they have been cack i was there, as you've said you have been, just back your lads that they will get through this sticky patch.

I didn't get into a debate mate, I made a post. Didn't ask for a conversation.

For me we have been much worse than we are now. It's the lack of ambition, it's ground me down, I'm bored with it, it's lost the mojo