losing the dressing room

Well if thats the case, they should all buckle down and do as the manager asks of them and also give 100% efforts!

Closer to the mark than realise. Imagine if You work your socks off in training and match days. Doing what the manager asks of you, even thow it's strangerling your game. Then most weeks you are the one to get subbed, or the one to be rotated, or the one to get slated in the press or from your fans for not playing well. Imagine new faces coming in to do a job your capable off but because of some other reason, you've been stopped from doing it. Imagine the penny starting to drop that the first 5 weeks results wasnt to be repeated and the team is not going to win many more games playing a certain Way. That with 30 odd games left, it's suddenly looking like a very long season.

Once negativity creeps in and more than the odd Gary Madine start to doubt what's happening, then Gray has problems.

My post suggested that early signs are their. Gray and the players had a spell of telling us how close they are. I hope that's still the case but having been around football teams for 30 years, it doesn't take much to change that.

Edited by Semedo's ferret

Guest wilyfox

To have our defensive record takes organisation, work-rate, and discipline. You don't maintain those things if a manager loses the dressing room. Those attributes would slip - and they haven't.

Guest Distraught!

Strange that every manager seems to lose the dressing room at some time.

Why don't chairmen "lose the boardroom" or "lose the directors box"?

:milan:

Guest s11 owl

To have our defensive record takes organisation, work-rate, and discipline. You don't maintain those things if a manager loses the dressing room. Those attributes would slip - and they haven't.

workmanlike - at the expense of flair, creativity and pace?

Guest wilyfox

workmanlike - at the expense of flair, creativity and pace?

Looks that way. It's not pleasing to the eye, but it's keeping us tight at the back and comfortably mid-table. We have lost a dimension to our game without Antonio, there's no doubt about that. He was the one who turned the opposition and exploited space in behind. We haven't replaced him adequately.

When we are in control of a game, we look good. OK we don't create too much going forward but that would come the more we get used to playing that way. We could short cut it of course by bringing a decent striker in. Lack of investment has meant that we don't even have the rudimentary tools needed to play an attacking game. My preference would be, to play to our strengths, keeping the ball and keeping it tight, while looking to ****** a goal. At the moment, we are in this strange limbo, where we are trying to add to the avttacking side of our game, without really having the players to do it. This has the effect of weakening the midfield, which means, although we are still resilient, we are not in control of games in the way that we were. Need to get back to basics and return to the way of playing that got the most out of the players at our disposal.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Very similar to Jones.

- playing players out of position constantly despite it only working for one match.

Who has been played out of position? The modern footballer can play in more than one position, Maguire came to us as a striker and Maghoma played up the middle for Burton? Fail to see this.

- dropping players who should be playing eg Drenthe Madine.

Gray sees the lads in training all week and I'm sure he has a better understanding of players fitness and form than we do. Personally Madine should not start in front of other lads as he is less likely to score.

- Signing older loan players despite having our own younger assets that should be given a crack before them.

Nothing wrong in bringing in experienced players, you are alluding that our current youth is better than what we currently have? Who do you mean?

- inability to see the real problem (midfield) but has been blabbing about signing a striker for months.

lol Owlstalk has been full of the "Striker" Problem for months, no one was saying we needed a midfielder when Coke was on form

- substitutions? Every week we make a sub that I just don't understand. Completely unbalances the team. More insistent of just getting a ridiclous amount of strikers on the pitch than having anyone who can create.

Chases the game, I like this and have always liked this about gray.

- lack of energy and motivation to go and win. How lethargic was the last 10 minutes on Saturday?

Yawn, maybe if Gray jumps up and down a lot this should solve the problem

- every home match this season has been dull and boring. And not once have I felt we would score, we've scored 2 deflected free kicks and 1 header from a corner. The football is some of the most boring I have ever seen.

You've obviously watched very little of SWFC in the past

- Unfortunatly for Gray he has fallen into the same rut every other wednesday mangers has done. We will slowly slip down the league this season.

I look forward to you eating your words in the future, I will save this post and repost it again at the end of the season and we shall see...

I think Gray is doing a good job all things considering. The start we've made has been decent. Its disappointing he hasn't had more support to get better quality loans in. We're really struggling in the final third & have been all season. We need some quality up there & we lack pace.

Whats irritated me these last few weeks is his refusal to drop May. He's always treated everyone the same & had no favourites however May isn't doing it at present & Madine's treatment has been somewhat harsh.

The other thing thats annoyed me & every manager seems to do it when things aren't going well. Why are players playing out of position? or being brought on to play out of position? Round pegs in round holes please.

Mr Ferret is right on one point the players who don't play will wonder why they are not given a chance if things are looking bad

and it can soon start the rot and then it roller coasters, doesen't take long for this to happen and as others have said if there is a bit of petulance creeping in it wants nipping in the bud before it manifests into bigger things ,the job of a football manager can turn bad very quickly, I won't say its there yet but if little signs are appearing things could escalate very quickly

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Same old same old in football, you see it on kids pitches as young as 6 with dads jumping up and down and screaming and you see it on the terraces for Sheffield Wednesday.

When things are going well every one is full of praise and when there is a sticky patch everyone points to the coach/manager and asks them to do something different.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't form/fitness/luck all play a massive part of what a club tries to do and until people learn some patience we will forever go round in these circles.

OP- have you any real evidence that SG's losing the dressing room?

No - it's just that he hasn't won for a few and hasn't kept us in the play-off positions despite having ten bob to spend.

So now he's tactically inept, can't attract / scout good players and has lost the dressing room.

Plus now May is a waste of money and now our strikers shouldnt work as hard cos that's why they're not scoring and our midfield is no good cos none of them can play a through ball.

Or that's what the absolute football know-nowts who post on here think anyway.

Edited by ka58

Very similar to Jones.

- playing players out of position constantly despite it only working for one match.

Who has been played out of position? The modern footballer can play in more than one position, Maguire came to us as a striker and Maghoma played up the middle for Burton? Fail to see this.

- dropping players who should be playing eg Drenthe Madine.

Gray sees the lads in training all week and I'm sure he has a better understanding of players fitness and form than we do. Personally Madine should not start in front of other lads as he is less likely to score.

- Signing older loan players despite having our own younger assets that should be given a crack before them.

Nothing wrong in bringing in experienced players, you are alluding that our current youth is better than what we currently have? Who do you mean?

- inability to see the real problem (midfield) but has been blabbing about signing a striker for months.

lol Owlstalk has been full of the "Striker" Problem for months, no one was saying we needed a midfielder when Coke was on form

- substitutions? Every week we make a sub that I just don't understand. Completely unbalances the team. More insistent of just getting a ridiclous amount of strikers on the pitch than having anyone who can create.

Chases the game, I like this and have always liked this about gray.

- lack of energy and motivation to go and win. How lethargic was the last 10 minutes on Saturday?

Yawn, maybe if Gray jumps up and down a lot this should solve the problem

- every home match this season has been dull and boring. And not once have I felt we would score, we've scored 2 deflected free kicks and 1 header from a corner. The football is some of the most boring I have ever seen.

You've obviously watched very little of SWFC in the past

- Unfortunatly for Gray he has fallen into the same rut every other wednesday mangers has done. We will slowly slip down the league this season.

I look forward to you eating your words in the future, I will save this post and repost it again at the end of the season and we shall see...

Referring to players playing out of position Hope was on the wing against Watford, didn't work. May was on the wing against Forest I think.

But if they're doing a better job than other players for example how he was praising Madine for his performance v Leeds and Watford in the press but then gets dropped it makes you wonder why? Surely.

Taylor Fletcher in? Madine out? Really. You can't tell me taylor fletcher is fit and ready. I wasn't alluding to them being better but with our budget our loan targets are not going to be spectacular plages hence why I'm saying why not try and produce a few of our own.

When coke was on form? In 1 game against Brighton? The problem has always been midfield so don't try and pin me as the rest of Owlstalk.

No he doesn't chase the game. He makes these subs but it unbalances the squad. We don't have sides pinned in their own box at the end of game having them defending for their life's! We cram strikers upon strikers and forget we need someone who can actually get the ball into the box and a midfield to control the game.

I'm not referring to Gray being lethargic I'm referring the teams performance when attacking. We stutter and don't attack with a purpose but seems we don't really know what our strength is to score goals. In the last 10 minutes the other day their was no rushing to get the ball or players looking to make things happen.

Tell me how every home game has been interesting? We've won 1 this season. Scoring 3 goals, none from open play.

Our last home games

0-0 v Norwich

0-3v Watford (we got rolled over)

1-1 v Ipswich (should have won and yet we sat back to suit Ipswich)

1-0 v Reading (solid performance but lacked quality scoring through a deflected free kick, they also missed a penalty)

0-1 v Forest (Got beat and didn't really seem to cause Forsst any sort of problem)

1-1 v Millwall (Very stop start performance struggled to break them down and yet again scored from a deflected free kick, but conceded late on and they also had a penalty saved. We weren't convincing)

0-0 v Dervy (yet again another dull draw where we don't seem to want to try and cause any problems for the opposition. We didn't cause them any problems.

I seriously would loved to be proved wrong and hope that does happen and I will happily say I was wrong. I just feel recent games have been very negative compared to what he was doing when he got the job. It's become very predictable and I pay a lot of money every year to watch wednesday to be entertained and Unfortunatly this season I don't feel I have been.