Offside.

The Wiltord goal is a very good example of why the rule should be changed to reflect how it is already described in the summary page that has been posted a few times in this thread

- i.e. he should be offside if he "gains an advantage".

Definitely a loophole!

There was an instructional video that went out to referees around the time which explicitly pointed out that incidents like this were NOT offside.

Andy Townsend was completely baffled by it, so decided they'd be using his own laws instead.

Let's be honest they are guessing most of the time. There job is to look at two different players at the same time.

Assuming he was watching the player passing the ball this is probably the first look he had at Vydra.

I don't see how he didn't raise the flag (apart frm the fact he was sh ite all afternoon.

post-88-0-51632000-1413829045_thumb.jpg

Guest Sheff Owl

There isn't even any point trying to debate/argue with people because what they say is correct and that's it.

Stuart Gray say's it was offside like most fans, you only had to look how crazy the fans went, especially the ones level on both the south and north stand.

But you know the majority is wrong and the minority is correct.

Assuming he was watching the player passing the ball this is probably the first look he had at Vydra.

I don't see how he didn't raise the flag (apart frm the fact he was sh ite all afternoon.

image.jpg

horrendous defending.

I've seen better on the park on sunday.

is that mattock 'marking' Vydra?

There isn't even any point trying to debate/argue with people because what they say is correct and that's it.

Stuart Gray say's it was offside like most fans, you only had to look how crazy the fans went, especially the ones level on both the south and north stand.

I was inline and everyone around me said Vydra was miles offside i said i wasn't sure and if he was it was going to be marginal i don't think Vydra was offside from the replays i've seen

It's not my fault if you, and Stuart Gray, don't understand it. And I'll say that again just in case there's any doubt. If he's referring to Ighalo he is WRONG

There is a video on YouTube clearly explaining the law, FIFA's text itself has been reproduced, reference to an instructional video to referees and we even have four real world examples now of the rule in action (and in two of them the defenders don't complain as far as I can tell). But what use is the actual rule when all you need is a few thousand biased observers? They MUST be right mustn't they? 

You keep putting your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la la" if it makes you feel better. 

Edited by DJMortimer

Vydra was offside, just but off all the same.

I've yet to see a pic where he's shown to be just on.

anyone looking at the still picture thinking otherwise is applying subjectivity in favour of the attackers

it is totally understandable that the linesman (who has one look whilst trying to keep the moment of forward strike in his eye too) let it go 

I just wish we'd get such decisions

Vydra was offside, just but off all the same.

I've yet to see a pic where he's shown to be just on.

there's one in this thread somewhere.

the one where is leg is 'offside' (not offside).

freeze frames can be VERY deceiving. Vydra was running at full pelt from his own half/behind play & having watched the replay numerous times he timed his run to perfection.