Offside.

Guest wilyfox

I remember seeing a goal scored by Real Madrid once where Ronaldo was off the pitch at the time, behind the goal, the ball was played in behind for another player to run on to.

Ronaldo got involved by running inside and he put it in the goal when it got squared to him

Guess what? He wasnt offside.

You can't be flagged offside if you're not on the field of play when the ball is played. That example is not remotely similar to this incident.

Guest wilyfox

You might want to double check that again wily.

I remember when such a goal was scored - dunno if it was that one or another. But afterwards, numerous players tried a similar trick in other games; staying behind the touch line then coming back into play to try and profit. I think referees tried to eliminate it by saying players can only come back on the field of play when he waves them on - like with injured players returning to the pitch after receiving treatment.

Guest JonTheOwl66

By being off the pitch I mean he got tackled and ended up falling over the goal line, followed by lots of posturing before getting up and realising he had a chance of scoring.

Guest JonTheOwl66

I remember when such a goal was scored - dunno if it was that one or another. But afterwards, numerous players tried a similar trick in other games; staying behind the touch line then coming back into play to try and profit. I think referees tried to eliminate it by saying players can only come back on the field of play when he waves them on - like with injured players returning to the pitch after receiving treatment.

Yeah you've misunderstood me completely.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Ronaldo picks the ball up wide left and runs at the fullback.

The fullback puts a good challenge in and gets the ball, making Ronaldo fall over and off the pitch behind the goal

The ball gets cleared up to half way

Ronaldo takes his time getting back into position, he walks back up to play

Madrid create an opening and pass it through for one of their attackers to go through on goal

This player goes through, Ronaldo realises he's got an opportunity and gets back onside

He receives the ball and puts it in the goal

He wasn't offside. Why's that? Because he wasn't involved until the second phase of play. I.e. when the player goes through on goal

Sorry, yes, either player taking a deliberate touch sets the new phase doesn't it. :st2:

If either players' touch is judged to be a deflection though (so not really applicable if they'd run towards it as in this scenario, but more relevant after shots and such like), no new phase is deemed to have taken started?

So the only real grey area for the officials to contend with there is to judge whether a touch is deliberate enough? I like my hypotheticals, so how about this...

Just to mix it up, I'll say that the attacking team is Man Utd:

Di Maria shoots from outside the box.

Falcao is in an offside position as the shot is struck.

The ball hits Rooney in the face and falls to Falcao.

Falcao is in an onside position at the point of hitting Rooney because the defenders are running backwards while he is stationary.

Is he offside?

I'd say that he is offside; but if Rooney could convince the ref that it was a deliberate "header", the goal would stand.

Guest JonTheOwl66

NO HE COULDNT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T GO OFF INJURED.

HE SIMPLY FELL OFF THE PITCH. AS IN WHEN PLAYERS GO OFF THE PITCH WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OF PLAY

In the Ronaldo example, he's not technically allowed back onto the pitch without the referee's say so. He could've pulled it back if he'd've wanted to.

If a players natural momentum takes them off the pitch - either from not being able to stop in time or by being bundled over the line in a challenge - then they do not permission to re-enter the pitch

It's only if they go off deliberately

When was the last time that you have seen an offside given when the incident was similar to today

I cannot recall a player being given offisde just in the opposition half when another player runs on to receive the ball

Refs let play develop to see which player gets the ball

Goals are awarded where players in very advanced offside positions are in line with the ball when a shot goes in etc etc

The rules have changed - you can ignore them all you like but it is what it is

The only time I ever see this type of thing happening is during Sunday league games where the "Lino/Sub" has no grasp of the current offside laws.  I'm with you in that I can't see how there is any debate over Ighalo's position, Vydra's looks just offside but at full speed, I can see why the Lino didn't give it - certainly not the worst decision we'll see all season.

He's guessing though

Let's be honest they are guessing most of the time. There job is to look at two different players at the same time.