Offside.

Guest Sheff Owl

Seen this on Twitter

The goalscorer wasn't offside in phase 2,but was in phase1,so shouldn't have even got to phase 2,correct Bully? -  Lee Bullen replies "Correct"

Lee Bullen also say's Vydra was offside from the pass

It doesn't matter what the scorer is doing. The receiver is offside! Lee Bullen replies with #fact

Edited by Sheff Owl

Yep, Vydra is very marginally offside by the looks of things, but it would be a little bit disingenuous to claim that that's been the focus of the conversation.

I accept that. The wording of the rules is less than clear and I believed that Ighalo was caught. Slide 26 shows that the rules are not intended to work that way, however they are worded. At least we gave the tyres a good kicking by reference to the rules.

The wording is nowhere near tight enough. With the amount of money in the game, and the potential financial consequences of a F*** Up, FIFA owe it to clubs, fans, owners and referees/assistants to get their flippin' house in order.

The 'advantage' law was 'clarified' as a result to the backpass rule being introduced - forwards retreating from challenging the goalkeeper kept being flagged for offside and they changed it thus, but some referees played on (c.f Bebeto against The Netherlands in USA '94) and others didn't, so they idiotically kept tinkering with their interpretation until we got to this.

It's a shocking law, but this bit of it was correctly applied.

Guest JonTheOwl66

It's not un-workable up in any way. It's very straightforward, it's just people like you who feel the need to complicate it.

It's not un-workable up in any way. It's very straightforward, it's just people like you who feel the need to complicate it.

People like me? There is only me. I am unique!

And I'm not inventing confusion which isn't there. The offside rule has been a lot more complicated since the "interfering with play" element was brought in, otherwise why would FIFA need to include 10+ diagrams to explain the ruling in a variety of circumstances. We aren't all as lucky as you to have the brain the size of a planet.

Edited by dmw

has the goal been disallowed yet? is nuhiu still arguing with the ref?

regarding the Bullen twitter quote... I friggin hope our team are concentrating on our tactics rather than mulling over this decision.

even if it were 100% definitely offside by a mile and still given, it doesn't change the fact that they were a much better side than us and deserved the win.

We've got bigger problems against sides like watford than the officials.

Amen to that DJM!

Part of this is confusion, based on the fact that the wording in the summary of the rules is patently wrong; applying alternative definitions to well-used English words that are defined properly in the dictionary. Apparently both 'active' and 'advantage' mean 'touch a ball' in FIFA-nese?! It also doesn't mention 'phases' at all, and that would appear to be a crucial factor. If nothing else, that wording needs a coat of looking at. It's an inaccurate representation of the detailed explanation of the law. 

Part of this isn't about confusion though. Much as it is easier to address that with disparaging throw away remarks. The major point of this is about whether the law in it's current guise makes logical sense. I personally think that it's barmy to suggest that it does. How can it? The Wiltord goal was a very good example of how daft it can be.

It is amusing that this had now gone to 28 pages, and perhaps demonstrates that the current law as distinctly flawed and that differences in opinions on a fans forum ought to be expected.

Up the Owls! gary megson

-:- Message from Owlstalk staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to repetitive mind-numbing pedantry. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Owlstalk Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link:http://www.owlstalk.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 19:23

I note that for everyone who said it was "onside"...... the commentators last night said it was clearly off ! 

I don't know where the commentators were sat but they seemed sure that it was offside but Brentford say the video shows it was clearly on. I have not seen it.

You win some, you lose some. Saturday's probably cost us nothing, last nights gained us a point. Probably, possibly.....maybe