The age old argument. ...Hirst v Deane

Guest Fedor

Two completely different players IMO, bit like comparing Owen and Crouch....

Hirsty was a natural finisher in the mould of Shearer, Fowler, Owen but that was it. Deane on the other hand had more to his all-round game and would often drop deep to collect the ball, run the channels etc.

If you compare their records playing for both teams, Deane's is slightly better;

Deane - 94 goals in 224 appearances, 2.38 games per goal

Hirst - 106 goals in 294 appearances, 2.77 games per goal

A more interesting comparison would be assists.....

If you ask me Hirst was the better striker but Deane was the better attacking player.

Hirsty was just a finisher, are you for real?

Hirsty was head and shoulders above Deane in every aspect of the game.

Mark Bright was better then Deane

This, a million times - this!!

Are you insane? Hirst or Deane? Ask him if they'd swap!!! Pahahahaha

Mark Bright was better then Deane

This, a million times - this!!

Are you insane? Hirst or Deane? Ask him if they'd swap!!! Pahahahaha

Hirst was a far better player Than Deane

That said those who are saying Deane was poor are talking rubbish. A good footballer one of s2's best. I always wished we had signed him to go alongside Hirst and as I remember it we nearly did. It would have been like a civil war on West Street lol

Hirst was a far better player Than Deane

That said those who are saying Deane was poor are talking rubbish. A good footballer one of s2's best. I always wished we had signed him to go alongside Hirst and as I remember it we nearly did. It would have been like a civil war on West Street lol

I think we actually offered more than Leeds ( £3M i think ) but utd said at the time that they couldnt possibly let it happen.

In all my years I have never heard of comparrisons between the two.

Its not an age old argument but just a converse between the OP and a blunt.

Hirst was magnificent.

Dean in all fairness was a hell of a player.

I am surprised by this it was a big debate in my locals at the time. My feeling was as my original post that Hirst was the better footballer but Deane was very underestimated by the general football supporting population of the time. Edited by Geedee

Guest everydays_wednesday

Hirst or Deane? lol

Its like someone saying who's sexier

Scarlett Johanson or Susan boyle?

I know......Scarlett Johanson is a right minger .....!

In all my years I have never heard of comparrisons between the two.

Its not an age old argument but just a converse between the OP and a blunt.

Hirst was magnificent.

Dean in all fairness was a hell of a player.

In all your years you never heard the two being compared? You never heard a blunt say Deane is better than Hirst?

The fact that at the time the two were both playing and scoring for either side of the city, they both we're chosen for the England squad on the tour of Austalasia and you've never heard them being compared? We're you asleep or even born at that time?

It is an age old argument between Us and them porkers from S2, the fact that so many replies to this thread backs that up. It's a question that will get raised over and over again, in my OP I did say i had only seen bit parts of Deane but went home and away to watch the Owls and inevitably watch most of Hirstys career, IMO Deane wasn't near Hirst, the man who Sir Alex chased, and famously Tricky Trev ripped up the bid. So I was just canvassing others opinions who was better?

I'm not the first to raise the topic and I am sure I won't be the last.