Flags for Tour De France

Sheffield was hoodwinked into supporting the World Student Games back in the 80's. A big mistake, but then to be taken in by London's sop and backing in a big way Sheffield City of Sport is a con they fell for hook line and sinker for the second time in thirty years. The provision of a temporary infrastructure that has transpired to have no benefit to Sheffield and it's citizens what so ever.

What difference would it have made to the status of our City had some of these resources been pumped into subsidising or two football teams and preserving our football status. Would the private developmental investment have followed ?

OK what's done is done but what Ideas are in play for the way forward ? Sevenstones looks as though it may be rescued but our planners seem to override common sense with stall holders in the new market area ready to quit in droves.

In my view I think Pound stores and Charity Shops should be fooked right off, get them on the periphery in one place. How can we hope to attract top stores to the city centre when they run the risk of a Rag Shop opening next door. Also sack whoever is responsible for traffic management and Parking, the arterial roads need to be clearways, B roads free time restricted parking and the rest ' free for all '. This would have the effect of bidding down car park prices and would be a huge bonus for traders.

If this halted or slowed the business closed signs maybe we would have some of the stores like Harvey Nicks taking a look at us.    

My mother has been to the market and as shes been going to the markets for decades has got to know some of the stall holders . Several are quitting because of the prices they are being charged , one stall holder now is renting an entire shop for less than the price of a stall . In a few years the market will be almost empty and the old castle market area will just look like london during the blitz . But our wonderous working class councillors are quite safe because they could all come out as neo nazi child perverts and theyd still get voted in as long as they have a red rosette

My flag says "Mick (Lawrie Madden sur Owlstalk) est un vieux pet misérable qui est secrètement monté sur son Chopper dans son jaune mercredi chemise"

which translates to

Mick (Lawrie Madden on Owlstalk) is a miserable old fart who is secretly out riding on his Chopper in his yellow Wednesday shirt

Guest Grez Bez

People in Leeds do not care about Sheffield. The fact that we care about Leeds soeaks volumes.

We are to them what Barnsley FC are to ys!

Sheffield has LOADS of potential but unkess something changes soon there us ni chance. We are desperate fir new business, there aren't enough jobs for professionals

We need to develop the area around meadowhall and build a bew center or vastly improve the city centre

Our big advantage is the tram. This need to soread further a field

One difference between Sheff and other cities (Manny/Leeds) is that the smaller towns around us dislike us. In other areas people really look up to the nearest city. No idea why, perhaps a football thing

Guest Grez Bez

6 million people withing a 40 minute drive of Meadowhall. I think Sheffield has far bigger pulling power on top of it being bigger than Leeds.

Not sure that's true? Wheres the 6 mill come from? Does that include Leeds?

The square mile isn't the city of London, it is their financial district, I have actually worked there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds  If you compare Sheffield like for like with Leeds, Sheffield is about 560K, Leeds would be lucky to hit half a million.  The Leeds you now see is the Metropolitan borough, which they added 250K to, from other out lying places.  If you want to play at this game, add all the population from Sheffield city centre to Worksop in a radius.  The Leeds you now see it totally fictitious, created in the 1970's by the central government, nothing to do with population growth.

so have i, and lived down there for over a year, and the city of London is tiny, just over 1sq mile, city of Westminster is way bigger

My mother has been to the market and as shes been going to the markets for decades has got to know some of the stall holders . Several are quitting because of the prices they are being charged , one stall holder now is renting an entire shop for less than the price of a stall . In a few years the market will be almost empty and the old castle market area will just look like london during the blitz . But our wonderous working class councillors are quite safe because they could all come out as neo nazi child perverts and theyd still get voted in as long as they have a red rosette

i dont doubt what you say is true, but i have dealt with both council run, and private markets for over 30 years, and believe you me, every single one of them across the whole country is on its last legs

the decline of the markets are due to several things, none of which i can be bothered to go into, but Sheffield council isn't one of them

Sheffield was hoodwinked into supporting the World Student Games back in the 80's. A big mistake, but then to be taken in by London's sop and backing in a big way Sheffield City of Sport is a con they fell for hook line and sinker for the second time in thirty years. The provision of a temporary infrastructure that has transpired to have no benefit to Sheffield and it's citizens what so ever.

What difference would it have made to the status of our City had some of these resources been pumped into subsidising or two football teams and preserving our football status. Would the private developmental investment have followed ?

OK what's done is done but what Ideas are in play for the way forward ? Sevenstones looks as though it may be rescued but our planners seem to override common sense with stall holders in the new market area ready to quit in droves.

In my view I think Pound stores and Charity Shops should be fooked right off, get them on the periphery in one place. How can we hope to attract top stores to the city centre when they run the risk of a Rag Shop opening next door. Also sack whoever is responsible for traffic management and Parking, the arterial roads need to be clearways, B roads free time restricted parking and the rest ' free for all '. This would have the effect of bidding down car park prices and would be a huge bonus for traders.

If this halted or slowed the business closed signs maybe we would have some of the stores like Harvey Nicks taking a look at us.    

city centers as retail outlets are in decline countrywide, its not just typical of Sheffield, a legacy of out of town shopping centers, free parking, and undercover malls

i dont doubt what you say is true, but i have dealt with both council run, and private markets for over 30 years, and believe you me, every single one of them across the whole country is on its last legs

the decline of the markets are due to several things, none of which i can be bothered to go into, but Sheffield council isn't one of them

a lot of it I would imagine is due to shopping online and how cheap supermarkets are and they sell more and more things and deliver . but surely being able to rent a shop for less than a stall and the amount of rent they are paying now compared to the old market is hardly going to help them . add to that parking charges and the city centre as a whole not , and it galls me to say it , up to l***s standard . Sheffield council wants to do what it's always done whereas other councils are more forward thinking .

a lot of it I would imagine is due to shopping online and how cheap supermarkets are and they sell more and more things and deliver . but surely being able to rent a shop for less than a stall and the amount of rent they are paying now compared to the old market is hardly going to help them . add to that parking charges and the city centre as a whole not , and it galls me to say it , up to l***s standard . Sheffield council wants to do what it's always done whereas other councils are more forward thinking .

shops arent just rent though, they also have rates, electricity, insurance etc to be taken into account, plus its harder to get a customer to walk through a shop door, than it is to get them to stop at a stall,

Leeds market, even with its new roof is no better than Sheffields, no one on either of them are making any decent money, retail has changed, the days of city center and market shopping are in decline, and have been for many years, i fear there's no way back

plus where retail space is concerned, no council is forward thinking

Edited by scarboro-owl

Around 2003 I actually thought Sheffield was vastly improving. We had a city centre master plan that looked great including St Pauls, Moor redevelopment, NRQ, West Bar master plan and the station.

Fast forward 11 years St Pauls is still not finished, NRQ scrapped / on hold, West Bar scrapped, Moor only just started but with a much toned down version, station square complete but no sign of building on the old Dyson House site.

Alright the recession contributed massively to this but it's clearly not the sole reason and other cities have coped well - Trinity Leeds and Liverpool One spring to mind.

We've managed to

Close the airport permanently

Demolish Don Valley

Close the ski village

Oppose Ikea

Council spending thousands opposing the new Next for fear of city centre impacts.

Demolish a fire station for a project that will probably never happen

But it doesn't matter because Sheffield folk have a good sense of humour and the city centre still has a village feel

Anyway flags...

Airport wasn't much good anyway, only had a short runway so was no use to larger aircraft. 

We do have one now which we share with Doncaster and yes I know its a good 30 minute drive from City, but most other airports around country are a good drive from City they're called after. 

London-Luton 30m+ away from London and London Stansted must be twice this distance. 

by population we're third behind brum and leeds (4th if you want to throw in london, but I never do consider it as it holds 2 cities and many towns within it).

When it comes to regions and metropolitan/urban areas etc. we're about 9th and by density we're way down.

Good news, then! Best places have few people, lotsa room and no mention on regional TV,

you obviously never looked up in there then

I have. It's got a lot smellier and more downtrodden since I first went there in the days of Wildblood (amazing name for a butcher) on butcher's row and SeaLand foods (yummy pasties for 12p) but, give 'em their due, it's an interesting place and always has fantastic bargains on offer - particularly fresh fruit (seriously!)

Rest of the city's a forking disaster full of obnoxious gits and wild-eyed supposed asylum tourists and foaming-at-the-gob nazis.

Oops - forgot to mention that they never saw a German bomb in the war and they also have a Harvey-Nick's (wow, they've even dropped the pretence of having an old guy in a frock coat stood outside to "welcome" you in). Poo! Gimme Attercliffe Common (circa 1975) any day of the week! :biggrin:

I have. It's got a lot smellier and more downtrodden since I first went there in the days of Wildblood (amazing name for a butcher) on butcher's row and SeaLand foods (yummy pasties for 12p) but, give 'em their due, it's an interesting place and always has fantastic bargains on offer - particularly fresh fruit (seriously!)

Rest of the city's a forking disaster full of obnoxious gits and wild-eyed supposed asylum tourists and foaming-at-the-gob nazis.

Oops - forgot to mention that they never saw a German bomb in the war and they also have a Harvey-Nick's (wow, they've even dropped the pretence of having an old guy in a frock coat stood outside to "welcome" you in). Poo! Gimme Attercliffe Common (circa 1975) any day of the week! :biggrin:

my point exactly, all markets have gone down the nick, Kirkgate has always had a buzz, but its on its ar5e now, despite Sonny being a bit forgetful, it had a refurb late 90s, both indoor and out

agree about the cliffe too, ill never forget new uniform day every summer in Banners

Load of rubbish.

In terms areas outside the town centre, Sheff and Leeds both have good and bad areas. Every city does.

BUT

Headingley

Chapel Allerton

Horsforth

Are  areas out of "town" that are nice areas with plenty of Bars / Restaurants / Local Amenities.

Sheffield has no equivalent, apart from maybe Ecclesall Road, which still isnt a patch on Headingley, unfortunately.

So please tell me why many many people who are natural always seem to prefer Sheffield? quite often when this conversation crops up, when comparing the two cities people still seem to prefer Sheffield even if it is behind Leeds in terms of money, Just saying what I get told very often.

Anyway wrong section.

lol

So please tell me why many many people who are natural always seem to prefer Sheffield? quite often when this conversation crops up, when comparing the two cities people still seem to prefer Sheffield even if it is behind Leeds in terms of money, Just saying what I get told very often.

Anyway wrong section.

lol

Ps Shagged a bird in Horsforth, (Low Rd flats oppers Ford dealership), personally I thought it was just an average area certainly not upmarket like Ecclesall or whirlow, it was more like Crooks/Bhill.