Director of Football

Didn't Milan say at some point that we would be appointing a 'Director of Football' to handle player recruitment etc?

All the noises coming out of the club at present are that SG will be doing this so has the idea now been dropped?

Good if so as I have never understood the idea of hiring two people to do one man's job...

SG has to be doing this part of the job too right now as he can't just sit and wait until a DOF is appointed, we'd get left behind. This is the time of the season when we need to be busting a gut behind the scenes on player retention and potential targets.

MM alluded to someone being appointed this summer to help with transfers, according to Biggs. 

Personally, i'm not sure it will happen. I have a feeling that if an experienced manager becomes available to SWFC, then Gray will be binned. 

What a farce this whole Director of Football rubbish is

Surely the club appoints a manager (or as some like to be called head coach)

So it's the managers job to pick the team and the tactics

How on earth can he do that successfully, if he has a certain style of play he is wanting, and some clown upstairs is signing a load of players that won't fit into the system

Scrap that, just let SG and MM sort it out...

What a farce this whole Director of Football rubbish is

Surely the club appoints a manager (or as some like to be called head coach)

So it's the managers job to pick the team and the tactics

How on earth can he do that successfully, if he has a certain style of play he is wanting, and some clown upstairs is signing a load of players that won't fit into the system

Scrap that, just let SG and MM sort it out...

They wouldn't go over Gray's head to bring players in. They would be Gray's targets.

I always thought the DoF role was Milan's insurance policy in case SG fecks it up, it would give him the option to bring in his replacement should he ever need to...

^^^^^^^^This 100%^^^^^^^^

It probably still is.

Guest LEGEND

I really dislike the idea of having a DOF, i cant recall them ever working for a club? Correct me in im wrong.

(They are the first person i usually sack on Football Manager ;) )

Seriously, it just brings unwanted controversy to the football club. Manager pressure being a big one. I like the manager to have FULL control of signing and selling players. Its the easiest and most effective way.

UTO.

I really dislike the idea of having a DOF, i cant recall them ever working for a club? Correct me in im wrong.

(They are the first person i usually sack on Football Manager ;) )

Seriously, it just brings unwanted controversy to the football club. Manager pressure being a big one. I like the manager to have FULL control of signing and selling players. Its the easiest and most effective way.

UTO.

If we like to have competition for all positions in the squad, why shouldn't the manager be under the same pressure ?

Just playing the devils advocate like......

Guest LEGEND

If we like to have competition for all positions in the squad, why shouldn't the manager be under the same pressure ?

Just playing the devils advocate like......

Thats a point in itself, but i dont think the manager should feel 'that' sort of pressure.

The manager should feel pressure to bring in good players, get the right results, keep the fans happy etc...

But he shouldnt have to play players that a DOF has signed, watch them fail and then feel pressure because of it. Then the blame game comes into play. (See spurs as an example, no one knows who signed what)

Its just my opinion, but i think the manager should be the one bringing players in, selling players on, that way, its all on him.