Shirt Off Goal Celebration

A fine is not sufficient.

A slippering by the referee should be administered

A second offence should be an automatic custodial sentance.

Any subsequent shirt lifting should result in compulsory transfer to Sheffield Utd

Guest RE.DAve

Its a stupid rule to get a booking. There are a lot more important things in life than football (which includes somebody losing his gran) regardless of how much they are earning.

Fair enough if they take their shirts off and chuck it in the stand or take excessive time celebrating, then a booking is justified.

But for those who take it off to reveal a tribute written on another shirt beneath, and the celebration lasts for the same time as any other, nonsense bookings.

If the message displayed is provocative or 'wrong' then the powers that be could take action after.

Is there a rule about taking your shorts off?

Didn't DiCanio get booked for showing his cheeks when we scored a deflected goal off his bum?

As for today, Maguire put his arms up to show he didn't care when the ref showed him the yellow. His message was clearly more important.

Wonder what the ref would do if all the players took their shirts off.

Ridiculous rule. 

Anyone who moans about a player paying tribute to an ill relative or a relative who has passed away is also ridiculous.

Maguire was in Scotland from Saturday through to yesterday to be at his Gran's side in her final moments. After she passed away he drove down YESTERDAY determined to carry on with his job. And people moan that he got booked for paying his own personal tribute to her?

The world's gone mad. 

Billy Sharp paid the same tribute to his poor lad who passed away. Everyone respected his tribute and celebration & THAT ref had the decency not to book him.

I don't understand how referee's can sleep at night after booking a player for showing an RIP message on their shirt...I really don't.

It's a rule that should be gotten rid of. It doesn't do any harm if a player removes his shirt.

Book them if they jump into the crowd, book them if they remove their shirt to advertise something etc....

But christ sake, pointless rules are...pointless.

Is there a rule about taking your shorts off?

Bendtner was fined £80k by the Danish FA for showing his advertising sponsored kecks and Stephen Ireland was told off by the FA for showing his Superman kecks after scoring!

article-0-139AFCBD000005DC-489_468x388.j

article-1043514-022A9302000004B0-735_468

Nice of you to dedicate your goal to your nan who sadly passed but here's your fine.

Get real.

I agreed that the rule was stupid. The players are equally stupid in incurring an avoidable booking. Football managed to survive for more than a hundred years without this trendy fashion, and in that time the passing of tens of millions of people went unrecorded.

You get ferking real!!

A fine is not sufficient.

A slippering by the referee should be administered

A second offence should be an automatic custodial sentance.

Any subsequent shirt lifting should result in compulsory transfer to Sheffield Utd

Steady on. The last ones a bit extreme. Remind me to stay on your good side.

If the message displayed is provocative or 'wrong' then the powers that be could take action after.

This is why it isn't a stupid rule.....who decides what is "wrong".....its a very subjective issue....some might feel a loved one losing a job which materially changes their lives worth a message of support to......and is supporting a group of workers striking much different?.....leading to political messages......its a minefield which is why the blanket ban applies.....and lets be honest players have been known to lie about the death of family members so how does the ref check if the message is factually correct or not

It's a ridiculous rule and should be scrapped - but Maguire still needlessly put himself at risk of a red card for the remaining 80+ minutes. In fact he was lucky to get away with a challenge in the second half where he put his arm into a Charlton player's face when jumping for the ball, I'm sure the ref was going to book him until he realised that it would be a second yellow - maybe he himself was aware that despite having to follow the rule and produce that yellow how stupid the rule is and therefore let him off the second one.

With one of those right nice scoreboards, the players could, before kick off, pass postcards with their sentimental messages to the right nice scoreboard operator and in the event the player scoring a goal the message could be flashed on the right nice scoreboard. Think of all the yellow cards we would save....uh.....about the right nice scoreboard.....?

Didn't DiCanio get booked for showing his cheeks when we scored a deflected goal off his bum?

As for today, Maguire put his arms up to show he didn't care when the ref showed him the yellow. His message was clearly more important.

Wonder what the ref would do if all the players took their shirts off.

No. It was Steve McLean at Chesterfield when we won 3-1 in about 2005.   The ball went in off his ass so he patted it in front of the Chessie Kop.   Ref thought he was making some obscene gesture to the home fans so he got booked.   I think the ref overturned his decision though when it was explained to him..

I did see DiCanio get sent off for disputing a throw-in in a FAC game against Watford at Hillsbro about 1999. We played nearly the full game with 10 men(plus extra time) and Pressman saved us in the shoot-out.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Memory serves me the yellow card for removing your shirt is due to the earlier days when players used to take them off and spin them around before taking 3 minutes to put their shirt back on, which the opposition were getting annoyed at for wasting time.

I don't think the original rule had anything to do with slogans its more a time wasting rule.

I agree with some comments on here about keeping our heads and understanding the lad was paying his respects to his Nan, but perhaps this is where the coaching staff can come in and help them understand things like the "Scoreboard" can be utilised instead of taking a yellow. Can't expect players to play without the emotion.

No. It was Steve McLean at Chesterfield when we won 3-1 in about 2005. The ball went in off his ass so he patted it in front of the Chessie Kop. Ref thought he was making some obscene gesture to the home fans so he got booked. I think the ref overturned his decision though when it was explained to him..

I did see DiCanio get sent off for disputing a throw-in in a FAC game against Watford at Hillsbro about 1999. We played nearly the full game with 10 men(plus extra time) and Pressman saved us in the shoot-out.

Di Canio did get booked against Palace for pulling his really short shorts up into his crack revealing is cheeks.