Gary Gardner

Guest parsimmon

Capped by England several times at under 17 level all the way up to under 21 level where he has 5 caps and 2 goals.

Would have probably seen more under 21 international action had it not been for those injuries.

Reminds me of Kirkland in a way, sky's the limit for a lad like him but it all comes down to whether he can steer clear of injuries.

Definitely happy with the signing though.

Yep. Fits the mould exactly.

Could lead to us playing 4-5-1 mind.

4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) is quite a flexible formation! And we might just have the players to play it too. Lee and Gardner sit back a little in midfield, while Maghoma, Maguire and Antonio (when properly fit) play the attacking parts. We might lack the striker to lead the line, though.

Anyone reckon they can guess Gray's thinking here. We know that Gardner isn't a replacement for Semedo, as the manager has said that he was looking to bring him in before the injury to Semedo. Anyway, he's a totally different player, more of an attacking midfield player. Interesting that, with the budget tight, we still went ahead with this signing, even after Semedo's unfortunate injury. Does this mean that the manager has another defensive midfielder lined up, or does he envisage someone like Coke, Helan or even Buxton for that role? Whomever he chooses, it looks to me that his favoured system will be 4-5-1, as he also needs to get Lee in there somewhere. With Maguire, Antonio, JJ, Maghoma and maybe Helan all vying for the 2 wide slots, that's an embarrassment of riches in midfield. So with only 3 relatively inexperienced forwards at his disposal, it makes sense to go with just one up. Obviously, it will occasionally change but for the most I think we'll play only one striker.

When Buxton is fit he may try Palmer in the defensive midfield role. 

When Buxton is fit he may try Palmer in the defensive midfield role. 

For me, Buxton wont/cant get back into the team. I see Palmer being a long term solution for us at RB. Plus when Buxton was playing start of the season he looked awful. Maybe time to move him on in the summer, whens he out of contract?

I would definitely leave Palmer where he is He is growing into his game, and has the potential to develop into a modern international full back. I worry about the holding role, Semedo was very important to us and I don't see any of our current midfielders offering what he did. One of the reasons Palmer is able to get forward so much is because Semedo will sit in there giving cover. Mattock is also starting to get forward down the left. If I remember rightly, Buxton has played a defensive midfield role before hasn't he?

I think people are getting a bit carried away with how far forward Gardner will play. I don't think he'll be like Barkley playing off the striker. For me he'll be great in a central 3 without us needing to have an out and out holding player. I think if we played a 3 of Lee, Gardner and AN Other (probably Coke) then we would be able to play with a lot of fluidity and all would be able to interchange. Gray seems to like having movement in his team and interchangeable players.

For me, Buxton wont/cant get back into the team. I see Palmer being a long term solution for us at RB. Plus when Buxton was playing start of the season he looked awful. Maybe time to move him on in the summer, whens he out of contract?

Nothing wrong with Buxton very good full back and utility player at this level, just questions about his fitness.

Nothing wrong with Buxton very good full back and utility player at this level, just questions about his fitness.

Yes good player. Had problems with injuries this season which may well have affected his form. Only just turned 30 so a bit more in him yet. He's just the kind of stalwart that we need go keep as we progress. Long shot for the Semedo holding role tomorrow but suspect he's not quite ready for a start after his injury just yet.

Edited by Dagmeister

GARY GARDNER BABY

GARY GARDNER WOAHHHHH

Cretin

A Person that is: brainless, stupid, child-like, and full of pointless information that makes no sense and appeals only to other cretins. They can be found in abundance in every single populated internet forum, where they race to post as many mind-numbing messages as possible in a single session. In addition, they seemingly interbreed with other cretins, ensuring that their cretinous genes continue long after they end up dead meaning the Internet will never be rid of their kind. More's the pity.