Happy Birthday Peter Rodrigues

70 Today ! Played for Wednesday between  October 1970 and  April 1975 scoring 2 goals in 174 games.

Wednesday were on the slide when he joined and it got worse during his 4 years at S6. Played in one on the worst Wednesday teams I ever saw in 1974-75 but I thought he was a decent player.  I read he loved Sheffield and thought about settling here after Wednesday released him in 1975.  Luckily for him he went to Southampton and captained them to an FACup victory over Manure!

Any memories of Peter's time at Wednesday?

Peter last year

pr2_zps1fca2f11.jpg

Peter shooting vs Carlisle 1973 in front of a deserted North Stand!

prod1-1_zpsabebf906.jpg

The 1974/5 relegation squad

SheffieldWednesday1974_zpsad72d9c8.jpg

An ex-Owl upsetting a Manc at Wembley!

pr3_zps511714e1.jpg

And lifting the Cup!

Guest intercity0wl

One who stood out amongst a bad bunch, as for the first pic saying in front of an empty North Stand, i was on the kop that day, and look at how sparsely that was populated, no complaing about a band back then y,,a sang clapped and moved about just to keep warm. Happy Birthday PR.

when you look at the squad picture it makes you wonder how they turned out to be our worst ever side....some decent players and one great one .add on prendo ,Harvey and mcmordie (for a short time).burtenshaw must have been one crap motivator for them to play so gutless as they did the 2nd half of the season .

He was the best slide tackler I ever saw. I also remember one of his goals, ran down the wing and rather than cross he just let fly. Memory says, rifled into top corner, maybe because of the years intervening that's not exactly true but what is still imprinted in my memory is the look of delighted disbelief on his face and the shock on the faces of the other Wednesday players. He had a go from that distance three or four times more later in the match but lightning doesn't strike twice and they all ended up in row Z.

Nice bloke as well.

He was the best slide tackler I ever saw. I also remember one of his goals, ran down the wing and rather than cross he just let fly. Memory says, rifled into top corner, maybe because of the years intervening that's not exactly true but what is still imprinted in my memory is the look of delighted disbelief on his face and the shock on the faces of the other Wednesday players. He had a go from that distance three or four times more later in the match but lightning doesn't strike twice and they all ended up in row Z.

Nice bloke as well.

I remember this as well. If I remember rightly, wasn't it in the Kop goal? I was in the west stand with my dad and we couldn't believe it had gone in either!!!

Nice bloke as well.

He scored 1 in a League match against Luton on 23/9/72 when Wednesday won 4-0! and his second as mentioned on 17-9-74 against Bristol Rovers, a 1-1 draw, we only scored 29 in the league that year!!!

Happy Birthday P....I remember the goal against Bristol, a combination of miss-hit cross, rather than wrapping foot around the ball he sliced it and the Bristol keeper was fast asleep as the ball curled in at his near post at the Leppings lane end. His other performance was a couldn't care less show in the third round of the FA Cup at Sunderland, I've never seen a worse performance for lack of effort from a Wednesday player, Ever !  

Nice bloke as well.

I think this was possibly against Fulham?

First home game of the season at the Leppings Lane end.

Having said all that I struggle to remember what I had for my tea last night these days.

Happy Birthday P....I remember the goal against Bristol, a combination of miss-hit cross, rather than wrapping foot around the ball he sliced it and the Bristol keeper was fast asleep as the ball curled in at his near post at the Leppings lane end. His other performance was a couldn't care less show in the third round of the FA Cup at Sunderland, I've never seen a worse performance for lack of effort from a Wednesday player, Ever !

the Bristol rovers goal was at Bristol nev a mid week 1-1 draw and believe me he didn't miss hit it he hammered into the top corner......