The curse of Ross Barkley

Guest Scummyblades

He needs to be part of a three man midfield with one or possibly two holding midfielders mopping up and allowing him to do what he does well. 

If you don't have that then you'll have a lightweight midfield that will get overrun. 

Still a talented boy, though. 

In our current team he would play as the second striker. Leave the midfield 4 as they are and Barkley would play in the role JJ and on saturday antonio play.

Would he strengthen our team in that position, probably not, but he could be very effective in it.

It would make a world of difference to be playing as part of the current confident team rather than the one we had when he was here.( which was partly his fault)

In our current team he would play as the second striker. Leave the midfield 4 as they are and Barkley would play in the role JJ and on saturday antonio play.

Would he strengthen our team in that position, probably not, but he could be very effective in it.

It would make a world of difference to be playing as part of the current confident team rather than the one we had when he was here.( which was partly his fault)

So who gets dropped then as I take it you mean the midfield 4 being Lee, Prutton, Coke and Helan would leave Barkley with either Lita or Antonio? If Barkley was that good he would be playing for the under 21s but is getting overtaken now by Hughes of Derby.

we have our own young midfielders like Corry and McCabe to develop who are far more important than pandering to the desires of Everton to help develop their youngsters. Only way our kids will develop is by being in the first team squad and not be left out at fit in an on loan player. In the long term we gain very little from this type of loan. A couple of months of disruption to our side then they go back to the parent club. I think more experienced loanees like Pugh and Lita can offer more to our side than us being used to develop other teams youngsters.

Guest Ripley Owl

i think Barkley is a good player and would fit in well with 2 from Prutton, COKE or Lee beside him

current stats for Leeds dont make him a crud player!

I'll go with that and bare in mind he would have been back here if we had stumped up the cash.

Hope he has a sheeted against us though

UP THE OWLS !

I'll go with that and bare in mind he would have been back here if we had stumped up the cash.

Hope he has a sheeted against us though

UP THE OWLS !

Still scratching my head here as to why people think Barkley can offer more than Prutton, Coke, Lee, Helan, Lita, or Antonio. Because if he was back here that would be the issue and we have now found a system that suits the players we have.  We cannot afford the luxury of carrying passengers which for most of his time here Barkley was. Thank god Leeds seem to have more money than sense and outbid us.

So who gets dropped then as I take it you mean the midfield 4 being Lee, Prutton, Coke and Helan would leave Barkley with either Lita or Antonio? If Barkley was that good he would be playing for the under 21s but is getting overtaken now by Hughes of Derby.

I am not saying we should bring Barkley back in. I would not and as I said in my post I don't think he would strengthen our team.

All I am saying is that we are a lot better team now than when we were playing around with him and Bothroyd in the team without any real plan or shape and IF Barkley was here now then his position would be as a second striker. I think he could play that role , be effective in that role and, unlike before, we would not be changing  the shape of the team to try and accommodate him.

If he were available would I bring him back? No, but I think he will be a lot better player than we saw from him.

Barkley is a player who in a team where he is the focal point of attacks will look incredible. His first few games for Wednesday you could see him come alive every time we won the ball. When we didn't have the ball he wasn't interested. Numerous times he watched his man stroll past him. This happened less and less as his loan spell wore on but he was playing in a more advanced position. He was someone who we tried to find a place for when we needed someone to fit our team (like Bothroyd). Hopefully DJ has learned from that mistake as the recent signings have been the other way.

I'm in no doubt he will become an excellent player for Everton and probably England. He is nowhere near the finished article yet though and I'm glad he didn't come back to us.

Not a midfielder!

Offers nothing defensively and goes missing in games where backs are against the wall.

good player but not what we need