Has a manager ever signed so many players and not play them

Sturrock signed hundreds and never played 'em

Sturrock wasn't perfect as a manager

But I just can't help feeling that the scattergun transfer policy has failed and could be a rod for his back.

Rodri shouldn't be here if he wasn't going to fit in and if fit Maguire should have been given more of a chance by now

I'm pretty sure MM won't be happy that Jones has given up on Mattock so quickly or at the Taylor debacle

Because MM has to trust him with funds again if he chooses to stick with him

DJ is a builder, it's been said many time before. He's brought in a lot of younger players who have potential, and for very little money. Some of these won't work out, but that's the way it goes. When it does work out, he's brought in a valuable commodity at very little cost and everyone sings his praises at revolutionising our scouting network and generating much needed income - a model which will serve us well when the financial fair play rules really kick in.

By all accounts, Rodri has struggled to settle in England so far, so what do you recommend? Play him in front of thousands of angry fans?

I'm really bored of the argument these players are commanding wages etc - find me a player that's willing to play a squad role for no money. Or maybe you'd prefer we just had 11 pro's on the books?

The OP makes a fair point. These players are earning good money and not contributing as they should. DJ can't keep saying it takes time to blend etc . He was given a budget to buy a squad capable of being in the middle to upper end of the table and has under performed. He can only get away with the clichés for so long.

For me the next 3/4 games will make or break him.

If we can start winning again now there is good reason for optimism. Get dicked again and I think milan will start assessing the situation.

We cannot afford to be in the relegation places at Christmas because it will effect who we can bring in January

Agree with all of that. I think I'll have a lie down now. Oh and here's a Dave smiley too lol . Whilst I am unimpressed with his management so far this season I really hope that he turns it round.

Guest arobert

I must say I really agree with Orlando Trustfall's view:

"DJ's transfer policy and signings will be his downfall. No way will he be here come January 1st."

THe biggest mistake of all was to sign three forward players whom he can hardly have seen play in McGuire, Pecnik and Rodri.

Their combined wages could have been used to bring in a loan striker with good experience at Championship level. Ideally someone with some pace who could have been the foil to Madine or Co'G.

These signings will I am sure be his downfall.

Should Mayor be playing ahead of Antonio and Johnson?

Lee, Rodri and Maguire were signed because those positions demanded reserve strength after departures. The same applies to Mattock with the only exception being that there has yet to be the anticipated departures at left back that were no doubt part of the plan.

Although some of the arrivals haven't impressed much, the opening post is hindsight, second guessing and misrepresentation in the main.

DJ is a builder, it's been said many time before. He's brought in a lot of younger players who have potential, and for very little money. Some of these won't work out, but that's the way it goes. When it does work out, he's brought in a valuable commodity at very little cost and everyone sings his praises at revolutionising our scouting network and generating much needed income - a model which will serve us well when the financial fair play rules really kick in.

By all accounts, Rodri has struggled to settle in England so far, so what do you recommend? Play him in front of thousands of angry fans?

I'm really bored of the argument these players are commanding wages etc - find me a player that's willing to play a squad role for no money. Or maybe you'd prefer we just had 11 pro's on the books?

This 100%, more patience is needed.

Should Mayor be playing ahead of Antonio and Johnson?

Lee, Rodri and Maguire were signed because those positions demanded reserve strength after departures. The same applies to Mattock with the only exception being that there has yet to be the anticipated departures at left back that were no doubt part of the plan.

Although some of the arrivals haven't impressed much, the opening post is hindsight, second guessing and misrepresentation in the main.

Any need to constantly view other peoples posts with such derision? Although you normally use a lot more clever words to deride and never actually answer the question.

Anyway I don't see why Mayor couldn't be given chances ahead of Antonio and JJ? Antonio hasn't been on form all season and we haven't see what Mayor can offer. As for JJ I personally would have been happy to see him go. He can be brilant but can we rely on him after all this time?

Strength and depth is all well and good but Rodri is running the risk of becoming a forgotten man

As for Mattock I just hope he doesn't become a Taylor esque signing, thrown in and discarded with.

In my opinon his recruitment policy could be part of his downfall

Rodri

Maguire

Lee

Mayor

Mattock

Now Rodri has been briefly played but if he wasn't ready for this league why bring him in?

Why bring Mattock in and play him out of position

Why bring Lee and Mayor in and not play them? They are commanding a squad number and wages

Surely he should have shopped more carefully in the summer?

Not every player that is signed is intended for the first team immediately.

Lee and Mattock were signed to provide competition in the full back areas. No cover for Buxton at RB last year, so that was an obvious signing. Obviously a lack of faith in Bennett, D.Jones and probably Reda to a certain extent meant a new LB was also a given in the summer. I guess the big disappointment here is that Mattock and Lee haven't challenged the starting line up as much as would have been expected. Does that make them wastes of signings? I don't think so - I'm still pretty sure that Mattock will prove a better left back than Daniel Jones over the coming months.

Mayor was almost certainly signed with a view to the future - For once we seem to be buying young players with potential, which means they are more likely to be a more valuable asset in the future. This is in stark contrast to signing 'big name' players on their way down with no resale value.

Rodri doesn't seem to have settled and obviously hasn't had the impact expected but you're not going to find that out until you try. Apparently there was interest from the Premiership and depending on the deal we have in place, this could have been very low risk. If Barca are covering the majority of his wages then we had nothing to lose in bringing him over.

Maguire is a difficult one, at the start of the season when he was fit, scoring goals wasn't too much of an issue so he found himself out of the team. Since we've been struggling he's been injured so it still remains to be seen whether he is a part of DJs plans or not.

I don't really disagree with any of the signings you have listed. It's easy to criticise after the fact but I don't think many were complaining when any of these signings were announced.

Anyway I don't see why Mayor couldn't be given chances ahead of Antonio and JJ? Antonio hasn't been on form all season and we haven't see what Mayor can offer. As for JJ I personally would have been happy to see him go. He can be brilant but can we rely on him after all this time?

As per the other thread about Championship wingers, only 3 players have more assists in the league than Antonio. Yes, he is frustrating to watch and inconsistent but he is the only real attacking threat we have at the moment.

Whilst 'we' might not have seen what Mayor can offer, DJ sees him every day in training and in behind closed doors matches too. Given his experience as an actual football manager I'll go with his opinion on whether Mayor can offer more than JJ [or Bothroyd, or whoever else is outwide].

JJ is the perfect back up for Antonio [who will burn out and can't be expected to play every minute of every game] but I don't think the two should be played on opposite wings during the same game.

The OP makes a fair point. These players are earning good money and not contributing as they should. DJ can't keep saying it takes time to blend etc . He was given a budget to buy a squad capable of being in the middle to upper end of the table and has under performed. He can only get away with the clichés for so long.

Any need to constantly view other peoples posts with such derision? Although you normally use a lot more clever words to deride and never actually answer the question.

Chris C's post above has gone into the sort of detail I thought was reasonably obvious but I couldn't be bothered with. In my opinion your opening post was prejudiced against the manager and lacked perspective on what some of his signings have been about. I think there's every reason to believe that a couple of them weren't even his choices. And it should also be remembered that apart from Antonio he has largely been working with loose change for this level.

As for not answering the question, that's just a lazy stereotype that a few posters have been developing recently. Regardless of that, I'd prefer a considered, non-committal approach to complicated issues where necessary than the simplistic compulsion our modern society has for reaching an unequivocal decision immediately, even if that opinion is presumptuous or glib.