Has a manager ever signed so many players and not play them

As for not answering the question, that's just a lazy stereotype that a few posters have been developing recently. Regardless of that, I'd prefer a considered, non-committal approach to complicated issues where necessary than the simplistic compulsion our modern society has for reaching an unequivocal decision immediately, even if that opinion is presumptuous or glib.

:rolleyes:

As per the other thread about Championship wingers, only 3 players have more assists in the league than Antonio. Yes, he is frustrating to watch and inconsistent but he is the only real attacking threat we have at the moment.

Whilst 'we' might not have seen what Mayor can offer, DJ sees him every day in training and in behind closed doors matches too. Given his experience as an actual football manager I'll go with his opinion on whether Mayor can offer more than JJ [or Bothroyd, or whoever else is outwide].

JJ is the perfect back up for Antonio [who will burn out and can't be expected to play every minute of every game] but I don't think the two should be played on opposite wings during the same game.

Maybe we could see Mayor out wide instead of Boothroyd being wasted out there. I'm not advocating the dropping of Antonio as well. It was painfully obvious we needed a regular winger to play on the other side to JJ/Antonio

This hasn't been addressed imo.

And I'm only offering my opinion on the matter and don't agree on the whole trust DJ on everything mantra. He has shown this season he ain't perfect after the ectasy of last season

Maybe we could see Mayor out wide instead of Boothroyd being wasted out there. I'm not advocating the dropping of Antonio as well. It was painfully obvious we needed a regular winger to play on the other side to JJ/Antonio

You may have a point there. The signs seem to be that Jones was hoping he could pick both Antonio and Johnson and thus have younger players like Mayor as back up to mature away from the pressure of the first team. But the rate at which we have been leaking goals has rather messed that up and we have not found a suitable alternative method of lining up. The lack of defensive strength in the middle of midfield (apart from Semedo obviously) might be seen as another oversight.

I think he means you're a short sighted simpleton who's selective with facts.

Well, that was my take on your OP anyway.

Is this sort of post REALLY called for? :rolleyes: In fact, have one of my rare as hen's teeth negs for it. You really do yourself no favours, totemowl.

Edited by Almat

Guest mikeglossopowl

He played Mattock...the lad struggled so he tried Danny Jones who played better, so he kept him in.

He played Keiran Lee....he played well, but got injured. Buxton came in and is playing really well, so keeping his place.

He played Maguire in pre season...he didn't seem to fit in so he dropped him down the pecking order.

He played Rodri...looked quite good but apparent communication problems and will he suit a front 3.

Mayor was always staed as being for the future, but he's been on the bench and had a couple of minutes here and there.

In summary, he's played them all and, because we've got a big squad he's using other players who he believes are better.

Although I may agree with you about his tranfer policy (ie it will be the end of him), it's not the youngsters above that MAY bring him down but his signing of Bothroyd and Taylor

And I'm only offering my opinion on the matter and don't agree on the whole trust DJ on everything mantra. He has shown this season he ain't perfect after the ectasy of last season

Not suggesting we trust DJ implicitly but it winds me up when fans suggest that certain players should be getting game time without having seen anything of them. For all we know, Mayor could be absolute crap in training and, regardless of how Antonio/Bothroyd/JJ are playing he isn't close to getting a game. The manager and coaching staff are the only people who see players day in day out and we have to trust that they will give players a chance if they are performing well enough in training.

I must say I really agree with Orlando Trustfall's view:

"DJ's transfer policy and signings will be his downfall. No way will he be here come January 1st."

THe biggest mistake of all was to sign three forward players whom he can hardly have seen play in McGuire, Pecnik and Rodri.

Their combined wages could have been used to bring in a loan striker with good experience at Championship level. Ideally someone with some pace who could have been the foil to Madine or Co'G.

These signings will I am sure be his downfall.

Assuming they were his signings, of course, I mean it's not like a former chairman who posts on here has confirmed that several players that have been signed previously weren't the manager's choice....oh hang on

Not suggesting we trust DJ implicitly but it winds me up when fans suggest that certain players should be getting game time without having seen anything of them. For all we know, Mayor could be absolute crap in training and, regardless of how Antonio/Bothroyd/JJ are playing he isn't close to getting a game. The manager and coaching staff are the only people who see players day in day out and we have to trust that they will give players a chance if they are performing well enough in training.

Sometimes when a team is doing badly, almost any change is embraced by supporters, no matter how blindly. How often do they clamour for a signing or a change of manager without much thought beyond that for whether it will necessarily improve matters?

I think from that list Maguire is the only player I'd be willing to say has not worked out - to the point whereby he was about to be loaned out to Portsmouth just before he got injured, which surely was not part of the plan when we signed him.

Perhaps he hasn't been putting it in in training, or there's some other issue, I don't know. Maybe he'll still come good for us, or maybe he'll be quietly moved on at the end of the season.

I do remember Jones predicting Rodri may take time to settle, and that would certainly seem to be the case, although it's a shame he hasn't had more game time in the past month or so. It was always a gamble, and sometimes they just don't work out. Still, he's only been with us 12 weeks, so let's hope he starts hitting some form.

As for the others they are either back-up, have been injured, or are seen as one for the future.

Sometimes when a team is doing badly, almost any change is embraced by supporters, no matter how blindly. How often do they clamour for a signing or a change of manager without much thought beyond that for whether it will necessarily improve matters?

Maybe DJ has actually tried to make too many changes too quickly.

And then when the manager changes things the problem will be he should be playing a settled side...

Assuming they were his signings, of course, I mean it's not like a former chairman who posts on here has confirmed that several players that have been signed previously weren't the manager's choice....oh hang on

If they aren't his signings then DJ is a yes man, frankly. He needs to grow a pair and make a stand because what's happening now is not doing his reputation any favours.

Edited by Almat

Guest totemowl

Is this sort of post REALLY called for? :rolleyes: In fact, have one of my rare as hen's teeth negs for it. You really do yourself no favours, totemowl.

I've got a reputation to live down to you know.

But, I have to admit, if after some 20 years the club starts investing in the future, rather than the here and now, it's within Belfast's rights to give them a good bashing.

There's certainly a case for that, but only with hindsight. Almost all Owlstalkers were giddy at all the players coming in and I recall little or nothing about the potential upheaval it might cause.

That's the nature of the beast yes. For myself I expressed doubts on here about the the rapidity of change very early doors.

We do get excited about incomings yes. We hope that the scouting network and manager exercise due diligence and skill in the hopes that on our budget we unearth more gems than duffers. We as fans are consistently yet irrationally full of optimism. Better that than to denounce signings before seeing them perform for us though