Has a manager ever signed so many players and not play them

I've got a reputation to live down to you know.

But, I have to admit, if after some 20 years the club starts investing in the future, rather than the here and now, it's within Belfast's rights to give them a good bashing.

Well that's a far more civil slapping! Personally I think we need investment in both the short and long term.... balance within our resources.

I do remember some suggesting we were bringing in too many new players too quickly, although it was frequently countered with pointing out that Charlton bought in even more players the previous season.

They're all football clichés though really; Fans are perpetually invested in trying to make up for their deficit in real knowledge or understanding of what's going on at their club, so as you would expect, some are always going to join the dots wildly.

We all know it's all about what is happening on the pitch - do well and any perceived failing is rarely discussed. Do poorly and every decision is going to be scrutinised. It's one of the myriad of reasons why managers even in the Championship earn salaries that the vast majority of supporters could only attain if they won Euromillions. it has always been like this. I'm sure while Notts Forest were winning those consecutive European cups not one supporter voiced concerns about what Cloughie was up to (and we all now know what it was).

Guest totemowl

Does anybody really think Jones has been responsible for signing any or all these players???

Yep I do but that's a different topic. I also understand the need for conspiracy theories and all sorts of baloney.

For me the next 3/4 games will make or break him.

If we can start winning again now there is good reason for optimism. Get dicked again and I think milan will start assessing the situation.

We cannot afford to be in the relegation places at Christmas because it will effect who we can bring in January

I don't believe the results will be the focus for Milan, more the manner of the performances.We have some very tough fixtures coming up

DJ is a builder, he said that from the start.

Guest Wilf Marshall

Those are squad players apart from maybe Maguire, who you would expect to play given the investment.

I agree with the above poster when they say that more likely Botheredroyd will get him the sack.

Guest JC Saviour

We can all have our theories and some are like reading 'War and Peace' I think its a simple case of DJ underestimating this league and over estimating his new signings.

I'm not even sure that Maguire was even earmarked as a starter. DJ probably earmarked COG/Madine and Bothroyd as the strikers but had to change his plans and Bothroyd moved into midfield. I look at all our strikers and can't see a pairing would form a decent championship strike force. Not writing any of them off long term, but at the moment, not good enough.