Championship wingers

As Zaha has been called up 4 England, albeit a friendly some would call meaningless, and weve seen Ince and Phillips last week, where does Antonio stand in comparison to these and other Championship wingers?

Good showing v Middsboro with Sky commenators recognising his threat

Thoughts?

Tomhollywood? Interested in your thoughts in particular.

Guest Wilf Marshall

Ince and Phillips are close to getting called.

Antonio is a way off. He is decent at this level but no prem teams are after him are they?

Parts of his game need improving. Zaha could make an impact in the prem though.

Antonio is the most frustrating player Wednesday have ever had, he does all the hard things well but has no end product, he's the Gervinho of the Championship.

If he improves his finishing and becomes more consistent with his final ball he will score and assist loads!

Antonio is the most frustrating player Wednesday have ever had, he does all the hard things well but has no end product, he's the Gervinho of the Championship.

If he improves his finishing and becomes more consistent with his final ball he will score and assist loads!

you never saw colin west then .....

Antonio is the most frustrating player Wednesday have ever had, he does all the hard things well but has no end product,

He's a close second behind JJ, Antonio offers more of an end product and is by far a better player, but he is incredibly frustrating, with the chances he's had he should be the divisions leading scorer.

The thing that I keep forgetting though is that he's still not long since come out of non league football, he's learning very quickly and that can only be a good thing, I'm sure it'll come.

He isn't even the most frustrating player in the current squad. He's doing now what JJ has been doing for years, just with a more muscular style.

Guest zico sterland

Antonio is still young and raw,only been a fully fledged pro for two seasons.Give him two more years of learning and he will be up there with best in this league,even now he is are best attacking outlet.£750000 will prove to be a bargain.

As Zaha has been called up 4 England, albeit a friendly some would call meaningless, and weve seen Ince and Phillips last week, where does Antonio stand in comparison to these and other Championship wingers?

Thoughts?

Why have you got a bee in your bonnet about me because I didn't agree with one of your posts?

In answer to your question, i'd say Antonio is way down the pecking order and nowhere near the finished article.

Matty Phillips has never really impressed me to be honest, I wouldnt imagine he'd take the step up to the Premiership very easily.

As for international level, not whilst I have a hole in my botty.

Ince will play at a higher level though.

Edited by BRUCE LEE

Thoughts?

I was going to post and say he is nowhere near the same level as those mentioned, and then I had a look at Championship stats for the season to date. Whilst I still think that he has a long way to go to be considered in the same bracket as the likes of Zaha and Ince, the stats are interesting:

Assists

Antonio 6 [only 3 players have 7 - Eagles, Noone and Mellis]

Ince 6

Philips 3

Zaha 3

Goals

Ince 9

Zaha 4

Antonio 3

Philips 0

So Ince is the player who has delivered the most in terms of goals and assists and Antonio is ahead of new England call-up Zaha when combining goals and assists.

Antonio has played 16 league games, compared to 15 for Zaha, 13 for Ince and 10 for Phillips.

Edited by Chris C

I take it you havent been watching Wednesday for long? :duntmatter:

I was going to post and say he is nowhere near the same level as those mentioned, and then I had a look at Championship stats for the season to date. Whilst I still think that he has a long way to go to be considered in the same bracket as the likes of Zaha and Ince, the stats are interesting:

Assists

Ince 6

Philips 3

Zaha 3

Goals

Ince 9

Zaha 4

Antonio 3

Philips 0

So Ince is the player who has delivered the most in terms of goals and assists and Antonio is ahead of new England call-up Zaha when combining goals and assists.

Antonio has played 16 league games, compared to 15 for Zaha, 13 for Ince and 10 for Phillips.

Good work dude!

Assists

Ince 6

Philips 3

Zaha 3

Goals

Ince 9

Zaha 4

Antonio 3

Philips 0

They are interesting, I just don't think he would be relaxed and clinical enough to play at that level just yet.

How many chances have we seen him not take when the opportunity was there?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not slagging the lad at all and I think he is one of our bright sparks at the minute but I think it would be a step too far at present.

Antonio is developing at a different rate to those two (Ince, Saha), they have had more first team exposure earlier in their career. Not sure he has the potential to go as far, but has a good attitude and will eclipse JJ in the next few years I reckon.

Edited by Taff_Owl

They are interesting, I just don't think he would be relaxed and clinical enough to play at that level just yet.

How many chances have we seen him not take when the opportunity was there?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not slagging the lad at all and I think he is one of our bright sparks at the minute but I think it would be a step too far at present.

Yeah, I think the reason he has so many assists is more down to bulldozing his way through defenders with raw pace and power than skill or a clever footballing brain. As such, better defenders would be able to keep him quiet fairly easy.

Players like Ince and Zaha seem to have more brains and skill [along with raw pace] which will probably make the difference against better players - hence the call up for Zaha and spotlight on Ince.

There's no doubting that Antonio has all the attributes to succeed at this level but I can't see him progressing like the others unless he can start to engage his brain and show more composure with the final pass or shot.

Edited by Chris C

will eclipse JJ in the next few years I reckon.

He's already done that mate lets be honest, I honestly think he's contributed almost as much in about 30 games as Johnson has in 5 years.

If Antonio keeps learning at the rate he is, he'll be a top level player in this division and with a little added composure in the dangerous areas, he could certainly get himself into the PL, not for some time yet, but I dont see why it wont happen.