Dave Jones or Gary Megson?

Guest TDJL

Pride and passionate hoofball won't get u anywhere in this league, do people not understand what DJ is trying to achieve? He's attempting to bring back the passing game to hillsborough...

Hoofball Vs Passing - I know which I'd prefer....

gone are the day's where teams can bully/hoof other teams to one side in this division and above,we've only been away from this div for a couple of seasons and the standard of football has improved tremendously,most teams and countries seem to be taking the spanish style of play on board,they put this into practice about twenty years ago,not won much with this method eh,keep up the good work dj,i see a floodlight at the end of our bright tunnel

Which would have likely been similar to Antonio under Megson. He was even more influential than Marshall on our season.

Maybe so but that wasn't the only thing that changed, our whole style of play and approach last season was so different under Jones. Would we have really gone unbeaten and won all those games under Megson, we will never know for sure but it seems doubtful based on how we were playing at the time.

I agree with SiJ, it's pretty pointless debating this anyway.

Perhaps we all need our memories erasing. Me included, so we can see things objectively.

Recent history seems to be clouding everybody's judgement.

Surely the dispassionate view would be that we're not playing very well, we're losing too many at home, our "star players" aren't performing, our signings this season have been "hit and miss" at best and we look likely relegation candidates?

I think these kind of threads promote the myth that if you're willing to consider a change you must be a Megson "bummer'. I think this was the phrase you used earlier. I loved Megson, but if DJ was canned, I wouldn't want him back at this time.

This has nothing to do with Megson, based on footballing performances we're not doing well enough under the current management. That has nothing to do with Megson.

No the performances have nothing to do with megson.

But the perception of Jones by a vocal group of posters seems to be inversely proportional to how they perceived megson.

Unfortunately I have a memory of the posts of some of the vociferous megson supporters on here.The very same ones are the biggest Jones critics.

It's an observation that could go some way to explaining their undermining of him.

Edited by Beholder

Guest Johnbloodaxe

DJ is our manager and deserves all of our support. He is a good manager.

GM's record is better as a manager excelled at getting teams to perform above their abilities in the premiership and has promotions from Championship under his belt. Generally teams struggle when they replace GM and revamp his squad.

Minor overperforming teams in Prem don't play pretty football or they get hammered....

GM would never have been given the chance from MM.

DJ should keep us up and hopefully develop our team further...

GM won't be coming back to Hillsboro so forget it and move on.

DJ IS OUR MANAGER ... WTID UTO..

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

No the performances have nothing to do with megson.

But the perception of Jones by a vocal group of posters seems to be inversely proportional to how they perceived megson.

Unfortunately I have a memory of the posts of some of the vociferous megson supporters on here.The very same ones are the biggest Jones critics.

It's an observation that could go some way to explaining their undermining of him.

Who is undermining Jones? As far as I know, there hasn't been a single Jones Out chant at the games. If Jones, or more importantly Milan, feel that he is being undermined, they should have been here when Jewell was here.

Guest Warren Hobhead

I seem to recall gary megson saying that the players he had at the club played Hoof because they were'nt capable of anything else. The reason we wnt on an unbeaten run when Dave Jones came in was due to the style of quality football we played. It amuses me how every Megson supporter looks back at his time with rose tinted specs. I liked GM, I liked the way he brought some passion into the team but it was DJ and Terry Burton that gave them the belief that they could win playing football and not hoofball.

I seem to recall gary megson saying that the players he had at the club played Hoof because they were'nt capable of anything else. The reason we wnt on an unbeaten run when Dave Jones came in was due to the style of quality football we played. It amuses me how every Megson supporter looks back at his time with rose tinted specs. I liked GM, I liked the way he brought some passion into the team but it was DJ and Terry Burton that gave them the belief that they could win playing football and not hoofball.

We benefitted from the passion, fitness and reslience that Megson instilled. DJ put the cherry on the cake. We were promoted because of the good efforts of both.

Guest JC Saviour

Yes? I think Megson is better suited to achieving safety but not so good at setting up a squad to set its self apart from the pack when trying to achieve promotion. Think it's a valid point

Just a genuine question, who do you think is better 'suited' at avoiding relegation .

Neither, Mandaric will never work with Megson again. Jones had two good seasons with southampton in 97-98, been quite ordinary ever since. Most experienced manager in the championship? Yes, because he hasn't left it for 10 years. Granted Cardiff were a better squad than you've got now. As a team you should be feared on pitch. You're not, I've watched Dave Jones a lot over the years he never gets upset its almost like his heart's gone out the game. I don't think either are your answer

I know which one I would have in a relegation battle.

Bennett, Mike Jones, McGoldrick, Kasnik, Uchechi, Prutton

Are you sure they were all Megsons signings? Mcgoldrick wasn't bought.

We benefitted from the passion, fitness and reslience that Megson instilled. DJ put the cherry on the cake. We were promoted because of the good efforts of both.

THIS

Megson would get a lot more out of this current squad than Jones does. Megson wouldn´t have bought so many poor players in the first place.

That was what you responded too. Yes I do believe MM brought the 2 players in. Of the others Prutton did a job for us last season. Think Mike Jones could have given more of a chance.

Not getting into an argument with you this time, but I will say this. When Megson fetched a billy big balls in on loan who thought he didn't have to work for the good of the team. He had the balls to get rid pronto.

That was what you responded too. Yes I do believe MM brought the 2 players in. Of the others Prutton did a job for us last season. Think Mike Jones could have given more of a chance.

Not getting into an argument with you this time, but I will say this. When Megson fetched a billy big balls in on loan who thought he didn't have to work for the good of the team. He had the balls to get rid pronto.

Why make it an argument?

You're right it says bought, I thought it said brought.

Point is all managers sign crap players