Dave Jones or Gary Megson?

Guest TDJL

Guest Stereophonics

Yes? I think Megson is better suited to achieving safety but not so good at setting up a squad to set its self apart from the pack when trying to achieve promotion. Think it's a valid point

Megson did this when he was manager of WBA and Jones was at Wolves. Megson's side went on a brilliant run at the end of the season whilst DJ's collapsed under the pressure.

Also, Megson built the squad that DJ did brilliantly to take up. Megson had the hard job of clearing out he inherited and changing the mentality of the club that had been on a downward spiral for god knows how many years. But DJ did well to take us up too.

Edited by Stereophonics

Neither, Mandaric will never work with Megson again. Jones had two good seasons with southampton in 97-98, been quite ordinary ever since. Most experienced manager in the championship? Yes, because he hasn't left it for 10 years. Granted Cardiff were a better squad than you've got now. As a team you should be feared on pitch. You're not, I've watched Dave Jones a lot over the years he never gets upset its almost like his heart's gone out the game. I don't think either are your answer

Edited by Guest

out of the 2, yes. If I could choose, in a perfect world, who would be our manager now, whilst still being in the championship though, i'd pick megson.

So you would have two managers and rotate them? hmmm.... different

last season was megsons, the future of this club is dave jones, he is building the club up from academy level and when we make it to the premiership in the next 3 year we will have the foundations to stay for a long time, i can see dave jones being at this club for a long time, hes the first man for ages that knows what hes doing no question about it, we just need to be patient.

I preferred Megson and think that he is the better manager. Megson is, however, no longer here so we need to back DJ.

We would not have got automatic promotion the way we were playing under Megson. However, I don't think we would have conceded as many goals this season if Megson was the manager and would probably have a few more points. Megson did a job that was very much required at the time he took over but without Jones it is likely that we would still be a League One side now.

More and more it seems that everything that happens now is perceived through the lens of people's prior prejudices.

The people who under Megson would have us believe that the 'Megson critics' were not true fans are now criticising Jones without a second thought.

As if it's almost the 'right' thing to do- attacking Jones.

Lincowl is a classic example.

One of the fiercest defenders of everything 'Megson' at the time...Not an SWFC loyalist after all- just a Megson loyalist.

There are plenty other posters who are similar. ReadingOwl and the rest. You know who you are.

The fact that this happens is no longer up for debate. It's the denial of it that makes me laugh.

Edited by Beholder

This old chestnut ignores the momentum we had after the derby win and the huge impact the signing of Antonio made. Megson never really got a chance to work with him.

This old chestnut ignores the momentum we had after the derby win and the huge impact the signing of Antonio made. Megson never really got a chance to work with him.

I am not convinced that Megson could have led us to those results, especially away games. The impact of Antonio under Jones was similar to the impact of Marshall under Megson. At no time under Megson did it look as though we could go that long unbeaten. Evans picked the same side and approach for the Rochdale game as we were playing under Megson, the momentum of the derby win was far from evident there and we should have lost. It was evident from the Bury game that we had changed our style of player for the better.

Jones got us promoted, playing a better brand of football than what we did under Megson.

I don't think we'd have gone up under Megson last season, however; I think he deserves more credit from some on here for the side he assembled and the work ethic he installed within the group.

I think they are both good, different managers, but at a push I'd have Jones by virtue of the better football that he usually produces, though that better football hasn't been so apparent this season.

Megson isn't coming back, so I can't understand the continual obsession with him on this site, both in regards to those who want him to return and also in regards to those who didn't like him and always bring him up when someone criticses Jones.

Edited by SiJ