Lawrie Madden...

Lawrie Madden ran funny but he was a top top defender..

I proper rated him when I was a kid.. thought he was tough as nails and always did a steady job

Never heard fans slating him much

Definitely ran funny though... kind of like a hunchback with swingy arms...

Lawrie Madden was born 40 years old - fact

Guest taffowl71

post-26580-0-15588500-1349901542_thumb.j

Didnt look like a footballer did he??

Then again neither did Peter Beardsley?

post-26580-0-15588500-1349901542_thumb.j

Didnt look like a footballer did he??

Then again neither did Peter Beardsley?

Who was Ugliest- Lawrie or Peter. (or Chris adamson?)

Lawrie Madden was a top top defender, even though he didn't look like he was! Didn't he own a restuarant on Sandygate Road at one time?

Yes i'm from Crosspool despite my username and he had a restaurant on Sandygate Rd, never went in so can't rate his cooking, decent

defender though never seemed to have a bad game.

Guest East_Dene_Owl

Beardsley was by a country mile the ugliest footballer of his time, certainly uglier than Lawrie. But even Beardley's ugliness pales when compared to Luke Chadwick....

Not met Iain Dowie then. :tango:

Madden might have been ungainly and lacking in obvious athleticism but he had an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time. Almost every game a striker would beat a challenge and be on the verge of getting a shot away when he would appear to take the ball away or get in a last ditch block. And he didn't take any crap from anyone. Towards the end of his career he used to be a bit of a bodyguard for some of the youngsters in the reserve team. Quality player for us.

He seemed to have an ungainly stride pattern taking more strides than he actually needed to.

He was the archetypal 'run through walls' for the side player. Reliable (but not outstanding) in all defensive positions. He was willing to play anywhere in the team and a firm favourite because of this. What a player!

Guest Paulos_Medication

Seem to remember him coming on as a late sub in the 91 League Cup Final and going on a steaming run!

Yes. That's my favourite madden memory. Great he had chance to play on such a big stage even if it was for final few minutes.

His wife used to be our teacher at frecheville school. She was great. When Wednesday had a midweek away game she would organise for the whole class go skating or to cinema.

Guest taffowl71

Seem to remember him coming on as a late sub in the 91 League Cup Final and going on a steaming run!

Lawrie madden. Wiley old professional as Brian Moore called him that day!