Lawrie Madden...

Guest taffowl71

My mind might be playing tricks on me here but remember the cup epic against Everton when wilko was in charge?

Mark Chamberlain was our super sub I think and in the final game Lawrie was out injured, chamberlain started (changed formation as a result) and we were 5-0 dowm at half time in the 3rd replay.

Larry May got torn to bits I think.

If someone has got the archive they may prove me wrong (every chance), apologies if i have just dreamt up that little story.

Lawrie was a fine defender. Was he a free from Milwall??

Yes he was from Millwall but can you believe he started as a youth player at Arsenal

Seem to remember him coming on as a late sub in the 91 League Cup Final and going on a steaming run!

I spoke with him on RSFH last year about that run, it made me cry as Manure had shot their bolt and as Madden strode forward the egg timer had run dry, as the ball was played inside to Williams and he immediately knocked it wide to Hirst the whistle went. I wept like a baby !

First saw madden in a pre-season friendly against frechville when he walked out of dressing room and down about 50 steps to pitch i thought we must be short on players and was one of the back room staff making numbers up.

Looked like he was struggling to walk never mind play football just proves how wrong you can be.

My mind might be playing tricks on me here but remember the cup epic against Everton when wilko was in charge?

Mark Chamberlain was our super sub I think and in the final game Lawrie was out injured, chamberlain started (changed formation as a result) and we were 5-0 dowm at half time in the 3rd replay.

Larry May got torn to bits I think.

If someone has got the archive they may prove me wrong (every chance), apologies if i have just dreamt up that little story.

Lawrie was a fine defender. Was he a free from Milwall??

Your memory serves you well. Remember Wilko blaming it on the fans in a typical I'm right your all wrong Wilko moment. The real reason we got thumped that day was our lack of pace at the back. Madden was in fact deceptively quick and a great defender to boot. Would definitely be in my all time Wenesday top ten favourite players.

Guest Bedders

Lawrie was a top professional. (As a remember as I was very young) never the most skillfull & not very nippy but read the game excellently. This was shown when he came on at Wembley!!!!!

Let me tell you a little story..quite a few years back, must be going on 15-20 years ago, I did A level Business studies around my daytime job. Our lecturer was off long term sick. We were told we would be getting a lecturer to cover her absence. Imagine my face when in walked Lawrie as our cover lecturer!!!!! Top bloke.....passed as well at end of the course!!!

True story that....and dispels the myth that all footballers are thick...........proper brain box is Lawrie & media savvy too!

Edited by Bedders