DJ has too much faith in Ross Barkley

In fairness Marshall was older and had cut his teeth in the hurly burly of League 1 the previous year with Carlisle. Barkley is nowhere near the finished article that's why we have him but he sure has the potential.

That's why I'm saying he would be better off cutting his teeth in League one.

He is a bit out of his depth at this level.

Hang on, how did this turn into a gary megson thread?

Because every flipping thread on Owlstalk does. :biggrin:

If only Mandaric had sacked him before the Blades win (and after the Chesterfield 1-0 defeat instead) nobody would be harking back to his era constantly IMO.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

A load of rubbish. Every footballer should have the ability to work for the team in order to retain possession i.e pressing and marking opponents. Not stand aside and let opponents walk past you. Since he came into the team we have plummeted down the table and he has had an adverse effect on the rest of the midfield.

Yes Barcelona were/are the best example. Fantastic players but every man jack works 100% to press and get the ball back when not in possession. It was a cornerstone of their dominance.

That's why I'm saying he would be better off cutting his teeth in League one.

He is a bit out of his depth at this level.

I agree but am praying to be proved wrong.

If Ross Barkley was the finished article, he wouldn't be with us.

It's clear he has to work on some areas of his game, but he lad does look quality. We should be excited about the prospect of having him here for the rest of the season.

Again, i think he was added to the squad too quickly though. On Saturday i thought he did well, and you could tell he was getting more confident as the game went on.

Edited by bigdan2003

flip me

Some of you need to log off for a bit

You're typing in a frenzy to smash Ross Barkley to bits

That's flipping madness

Chill out

lol

That's overstating it somewhat. The lads got obvious ability and should go far. He's nowhere near being there yet though. If he were 18 and one of ours you'd be looking at the long term but that doesn't apply obviously.

Far from the finished item I'll grant you but a major talent nevertheless. To blame him for our lack of creativity is missing the point He plays with his head up, looking for options, but in this Wednesday team, only McCabe and perhaps Bothroyd are on his wavelength There is absolutely no movement ahead of him. The full backs rarely push forward with any purpose, our play, as someone once said on here, is pass and move without the move

Barkley, Bothroyd, Taylor etc may go on to do well for us but they've been too slow to get into gear in the short term. More often than not we had more in-form options on the bench in each case and the losing run that's resulted will likely get him the sack.

Talents like Barkley don't come along very often, I just don't want to see a god given talent wasted. If he can't or won't see what he needs to add to his game, that is what will happen. I'm not here to pillory Barkley but he does need to get the message sooner rather than later. He's 18, well developed physically the running should come easy to him.

I don't see the point in him being here. What's the point in disrupting a winning team to accommodate a young player with great potential for a month?!

It's nonsense!

Clearly DJ wants him longer than a month, and always has. Maybe Everton would only let us have him for a month to begin with?

Talents like Barkley don't come along very often, I just don't want to see a god given talent wasted. If he can't or won't see what he needs to add to his game, that is what will happen. I'm not here to pillory Barkley but he does need to get the message sooner rather than later. He's 18, well developed physically the running should come easy to him.

What part of the situation makes you think his talent is going to be wasted?

Another point.

Would we be playing this 4-5-1 if we were not trying to accommodate barkley?

In my opinion no. We are playing it because he is not good enough at the other side of the game to hold his own in a 2 man midfield. But he isn't effective enough at the offensive side to make it worthwhile.

@ Nev - Taylor is permanent so has time to bed in which I am confident he will. Bothroyd is here for a decent spell so even if we write off his first month we may benefit from now until Christmas. Barkley I think is at the end of his scheduled loan. Short term 'emergency' loanees need to be hitting the ground running or what's the point?

Edited by Dagmeister

We need to get this notion out of our heads that we can go back to playing the way that we played last season We will be overrun in midfield every time Players like Bothroyd, McCabe and Barkley, we haven't seen at Hillsborough for a long time, its a measure of how far we've come What the manager needs to do is, sort out which players can play the game he wants to play and if we're still lacking, bring in the ones that can.

My criticism of Barkley's inclusion is nothing to do with the subject of whether we should go back to the Megson style of football. Anyone who knows my posts would know it's the last thing i would want.

I'm behind DJ and his style all the way, just think he has overestimated how ready Ross Barkley is for this level.

I know you weren't suggesting a return to the Megson style of play, heaven forbid, but its hard to judge Barkley when there is absolutely zero movement around him. Only McCabe and Bothroyd seem to be on the same wavelength Its frustrating, it was the same when we plonked Carbone and DiCanio in with the likes of Atherton, Nolan and Booth