DJ has too much faith in Ross Barkley

A load of rubbish. Every footballer should have the ability to work for the team in order to retain possession i.e pressing and marking opponents. Not stand aside and let opponents walk past you. Since he came into the team we have plummeted down the table and he has had an adverse effect on the rest of the midfield.

Agree said a couple of times this being a nursery for everton isn't working for them and us

forget about this aura of prem starlet look at his performances in isolation from his reputation/promise - he's not contributing fully imo.. yep we need someone old enough to get stuck in because tbh I wouldnt risk my legs here either- he has bigger fish to fry allegedly, yet to see anything but flashes of quality and the bottle to step up for the penalty

A load of rubbish. Every footballer should have the ability to work for the team in order to retain possession i.e pressing and marking opponents. Not stand aside and let opponents walk past you. Since he came into the team we have plummeted down the table and he has had an adverse effect on the rest of the midfield.

Well said captain Starling !

No teams have a midfield full of people who can zip the ball around and spot passes at this level. Most have a balance of creators and enforcers.

There were a few occasions where a bit more awareness would have released antonio into the clear on saturday but he did not pick up on them.

He's gonna be a good player but not for a few years will he be able to hold his own at this level or above imo.

For your first point, I'm not suggesting that we should sign a whole team of 5 foot 6 wannabe Iniestas and nobody should be allowed to take more than 1 consecutive touches on the ball. Just that certain players are so lacking in confidence that they kill our tempo and momentum because they're so driven by not losing the ball above anything else, they will take a couple of touches and give it back to a centre half. Moving the ball at pace is a hallmark of a good team, and we've (at the moment anyway) only got a few players up to scratch, of which Barkley is definitely 1.

And re your third sentence, I think Barkley already is holding his own. He has had a few halves (especially in his first game or two) where he struggled, but by and large he has been one of our best players.

Fantastic player - showed some amazing skills on Saturday

He's not a ball winner though and this is where some Wednesday fans get 'reyt confused'

Nope but there times when players simply have to put a foot in. I wouldn't want to see him running around and diving in but there are times when he just plain bottles it. This may be down to his youthfulness and he may well grow out of it but its an achilles heel in his armoury at the moment.

For your first point, I'm not suggesting that we should sign a whole team of 5 foot 6 wannabe Iniestas and nobody should be allowed to take more than 1 consecutive touches on the ball. Just that certain players are so lacking in confidence that they kill our tempo and momentum because they're so driven by not losing the ball above anything else, they will take a couple of touches and give it back to a centre half. Moving the ball at pace is a hallmark of a good team, and we've (at the moment anyway) only got a few players up to scratch, of which Barkley is definitely 1.

And re your third sentence, I think Barkley already is holding his own. He has had a few halves (especially in his first game or two) where he struggled, but by and large he has been one of our best players.

He plays well in an open game when the team are attacking and are getting lots of possession like at Burnley.

In these situations he comes into his own.

But in most matches it hasn't been like that and his defensive side is non- existant.

If you are Chris waddle, your attacking brilliance maybe earns you the right to be a bit lax defensively. But his attacking brilliance is far from mature- he has not earned that right. Arguably, these days you never do earn that right,.

Thought Barkley did well Saturday, better than McCabe to be fair.

The problem lies in our ability to defend which has been our problem all season and prior to Barkley coming in.

We need to avoid looking for scapegoats. The problem is more a collective one than an individual one.

He looked more elegant than McCabe but I'd say that McCabe's work on Saturday was more effective.

I'm just really confused as to why our senior citizen fans on Owlstalk are so militant at the moment

That's not following the traditional pattern of conservative wisdom...

Then you should leave your camera behind for a game ot two and sit in a decent vantage point where you can see what is happening on the pitch. Barkley was giving open invitations on Saturday for Hull players to drift past him, and not for the first time.

When Ben Marshall came to us last season the majority of us had ever heard of him. He came in and from his first kick showed what a good footballer he is combining a strong work ethic with skill albeit in League one. Subsequently he has moved to Leicester and is more than holding his own in the Championship. Now Barkley came with all these plaudits and everyone saying what a class act he is, and Everton fans wanting him in their first team. Unfortunately for Ross in his performances so far (admittedly the home games) he has yet to justify any of this praise and if Ferguson was considering a £16 Million bid for him then I can't imagine what he would pay for Marshall.

He plays well in an open game when the team are attacking and are getting lots of possession like at Burnley.

In these situations he comes into his own.

But in most matches it hasn't been like that and his defensive side is non- existant.

If you are Chris waddle, your attacking brilliance maybe earns you the right to be a bit lax defensively. But his attacking brilliance is far from mature- he has not earned that right. Arguably, these days you never do earn that right,.

This. The game has changed. All the best players can hold their own physically; then their talent asserts itself.

To be fair, we had already lost the Palace game and were getting jizzed all over by Brighton before he even appeared in a Wedneday shirt.

At this level of football, prfessional league, you are not worth jack **** if you don't work off the ball. Opposition players drift past Barkley like he's not there. We need him to combine his obvious talent with a work ethic, Megson style. No one stops him running and no one stops his team mates shouting, they have responsibility to bully him into the required work.

Barkley can certainly improve his game and has appeared lightweight without the ball at his feet, but he is 18 years old- that side of things is why he is here, developing with us. If he was perfect, he'd be playing at Everton already.

And you have to take that rough with the smooth- the smooth being that he already looks like the best ball player and most confident player going forward at the club.

He obviously has stuff to work on, but there are a whole host of larger and more pressing issues at the moment with SWFC's team than the fact that Barkley is holding off on a few tackles.

When Ben Marshall came to us last season the majority of us had ever heard of him. He came in and from his first kick showed what a good footballer he is combining a strong work ethic with skill albeit in League one. Subsequently he has moved to Leicester and is more than holding his own in the Championship. Now Barkley came with all these plaudits and everyone saying what a class act he is, and Everton fans wanting him in their first team. Unfortunately for Ross in his performances so far (admittedly the home games) he has yet to justify any of this praise and if Ferguson was considering a £16 Million bid for him then I can't imagine what he would pay for Marshall.

In fairness Marshall was older and had cut his teeth in the hurly burly of League 1 the previous year with Carlisle. Barkley is nowhere near the finished article that's why we have him but he sure has the potential.

correct.

Marshal was far ahead of Barkley in every aspect of the game. It is plain to see.

Reputation counts for nothing if you can't produce it consistently.

Zzzzzz..............

If that's REALLY true.. and if it's SO important... why was he fired ?

Being at the club you know what went off beating megson with a stick like in your earlier post is stupid only dave jones can turn it round and deflecting the flak away from him and on to megson is childish