Nigel Worthington

Mr. consistent. Always prefered him at full back rather than left midfield or left wing where he was too often played in my opinion. Close call between him and Megson. As an out and out, rock solid defender I'd go with DM just, but as a "wing back" he's probably the best we've had.

Mr. consistent. Always prefered him at full back rather than left midfield or left wing where he was too often played in my opinion. Close call between him and Megson. As an out and out, rock solid defender I'd go with DM just, but as a "wing back" he's probably the best we've had.

Me too, I think one of Trevor Francis' mistakes was not signing a quality left midfielder ahead of the 91-92 season

It's a shame he undid some of his legacy (IMO) by twice using us to negotiate himself a better contract with NI.

Its just a pity he ever got the NI job as he has completely destroyed his legacy as a NI player. Abysmal and not a likeable manager

I just hope he never gets the chance to ruin his Owls legacy like a few of our past players

Always loved Irish, steady nothing fancy, a good shift every match, never misplaced a pass, those couple of seasons with King were superb! Don't remember him being injured that much either!

very true, tho ironically it was an injury to him that coincided with our bad run of results at the end of the 89/90 season which saw us relegated. I'm convinced that had he played those last few games (starting with Spurs at home) we would have stayed up that season.

Guest Nilsson_is_God

Best Sheffield Wednesday left back of all time?

Yes, apart from when asked to cover the post at corners.... :tango:

Patrick blondeau - end of thread - unless he was right back I can't remember as his appearances left me covering my eyes for 90 min

Pretty sure he was the right back in that horrid night against Derby, lost 6-2 or summat?

Wasn't that his debut and one and only appearance?

who was the full back though, him or Phil King

Worthington was our regular and dependable left back for many years before Phil King signed.

When we did sign the latter, NW played more as a left winger with PK at left back and they were a great combination for a couple of seasons before Kingy went bad.

Patrick blondeau - end of thread - unless he was right back I can't remember as his appearances left me covering my eyes for 90 min

To be fair I don't think Blondeau cared where he was supposed to be playing. I remember him being anywhere but where he should have been in home games against Leeds & Derby.