Centre Halfs & Full Backs V Brighton

After losing one the last thing we need is another defeat so perhaps we would take a draw with two home games to follow and go for seven points from those three. In that case DJ may go for a tighter defensive line up and DJ knows much better than us who that entails as most of us wouldn't even recognise some of our new defenders going in the players entrance let alone know what their current form is like. Most of all we need a really tight ship in this game with a clean sheet being first requisite. Then we can think about all guns blazing again back home.

Lee ,Gardner,Taylor,Mattock...

That will be our defence soon.

I think ultimately this will be what happens.

The only one I would debate is Buxton & Lee, but if Buxton doesn't sharpen up soon then Lee will get his chance. No idea if he will do the business though.

Edited by BRADDAZ

We had a look at Taylor about early on in the Zola reign - he was available free and we decided not to pursue it

The fact that we went back in for him at the last second and Watford were able to negotiate £100k out of us (for a player that had been told he had no future at his host club previously) suggests DJ was not comfortable with the chemistry and dynamics of the existing CB's

I cannot believe Taylor has been bought to warm the bench so i imagine he will start and probably be skipper before long

And don't worry about his pace - not only is he ok in that department he rarely gets punished because he's a bloody good defender

I think ultimately this will be what happens.

The only one I would debate is Buxton & Lee, but if Buxton doesn't sharpen up soon then Lee will get his chance. No idea if he will do the business though.

About sums up my thoughts. At the moment though I think that Liera will take some shifting as he's looked tidy plus his free kicks and corners are miles better than anyone else's.

I think Llera is the closest thing we have to a mainstay at centre back. Not only is he a good defender, he's also a goal threat, an asset at set pieces (either taking them or on the end of them) and is comfortable in possession of the ball. In terms of playing the ball out from defence I think he's pretty important to how Jones wants the team to play.

Buxton will be first choice unless he goes on an extended run of poor form. Taylor has almost certainly been brought in to play. I like Reda, but acknowledge he's probably the most likely to be dropped right now. The good thing is that we have an experienced Championship left back ready and waiting should we need him.

I think our defence vs Brighton will be Reda, Taylor, Llera and Buxton. Long term, I think it will be Mattock, Llera, Taylor and Buxton.

The little break for internationals is the perfect time for DJ to focus on working the defenders and his preferred combination (this will probably now include Taylor) and the likes of Buxton/Lee and Reda/Mattock should be busting a gut in training to prove to the manager that they deserve a starting spot at full-back because he must see something he doesn't like in Lee not to have played him at all this season or not much in pre-season. According to Lee on Twitter he has been fit and raring to go for a few weeks so it can't be down to injury. As for Mattock, I'd just like to see him play a couple of games at LB so that people can compare him to Reda because at the moment there is nobody to really compare Reda to and he's getting a lot of flak.

cant see why most people think llerra will be dropped, he's having a fab season at the moment

He's part of a defence that is leaking soft goals - so I wouldn't say 'he's having a fab season at the moment'. His goals against Milwall should not overshadow defensive duties. He's there first and foremost to keep the opposition out.

We have four centerhalves, who in my eyes are more or less equal, so they will have to play themselves in/out of the team. Obviously having bought Taylor, he will start, and then I think Llera will have the other place due to his free kick/corner qualities.

As for the future, any of these four will have to win their place(I love this competion for places we are having now) as it is deffo not up for grabs.

At right back, Buxton will continue untill he embarrases himself, but hopefully Lee can push him or eventuelly take his place.

At left back, Reda will start if he is fit, but Mattock will definitely get his chances and hopefully be better.

We have cover on every place, so we should be able to get it right at some point, right?

He's part of a defence that is leaking soft goals - so I wouldn't say 'he's having a fab season at the moment'. His goals against Milwall should not overshadow defensive duties. He's there first and foremost to keep the opposition out.

Not on his own he isn't. Has Llera been specifically at fault for any of the goals we've conceded this season? I'm not sure he has, personally.

Not on his own he isn't. Has Llera been specifically at fault for any of the goals we've conceded this season? I'm not sure he has, personally.

The Palace winner