1991-92 An awesome team and Kop!

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

over 500 apps mostly in the top flight for weds,sunderland,man utd selected by managers of the calibre of ashurst ,charlton.wilkinson atkinson, ferguson , suggests otherwise

I never saw Chris Turner in the first stint so hard to judge overall. I think he played a very big part in us getting relegated in the 1989-90 season when he came in after Kev got injured against Man City (Hirsty went in nets :biggrin: ). Possibly he confidence was shot after a couple of bad years ant Man U and dropping to 2nd choice for us. He did redeem himself the following year with almost a reversal of fortunes with Kev. Always thought he was too small to be a keeper and didn't command his area. But then we replaced him with Woods who was even worse on crosses!

What actually happened to Chris Turner at the start of that season?

Was he told that we were signing Chris Woods and he was shown the door, or had he already left us by then or was he still at Wednesday when we bought Chris Woods and left shortly after?

What happened?

Edited by SheSaidNoEvans

or did you mean Hirstys testomonial match? think that might have been the last time he played for us.

This is why non of our players should ever manage us

that was on the sunday after gillingham away, i drove the minibus there and back, we got stuffed 2-0 i think it was, we never had a shot at goal, and stood on that crappy little end where the team came off in the corner, sibon was abused something awful at the end of the game, we were useless.

day after it was back to the glory years, the team that played in the testimonial would have slaughtered the team that lost at gillingham, even with the age difference.

that was on the sunday after gillingham away, i drove the minibus there and back, we got stuffed 2-0 i think it was, we never had a shot at goal, and stood on that crappy little end where the team came off in the corner, sibon was abused something awful at the end of the game, we were useless.

day after it was back to the glory years, the team that played in the testimonial would have slaughtered the team that lost at gillingham, even with the age difference.

I went to that Gillingham game. One of the most depressing episodes of my Wednesday life.

I went to that Gillingham game. One of the most depressing episodes of my Wednesday life.

we were pretty rough at times that year, but i think thats the worst i've ever seen a Wednesday team play, a 9 million mile round trip to Kent, stood on an end that the Germans bombed, battered by a team of part timers, and then tortured less than 24 hours later by watching the greatest Wednesday team to tread this earth, oh happy days

Was that a midweek game? If so I think I went and iirc we lost 1-0

Was he told that we were signing Chris Woods and he was shown the door, or had he already left us by then or was he still at Wednesday when we bought Chris Woods and left shortly after?

What happened?

he stuck around for a few months then signed for leyton orient in exchange for bart-williams and a wodge of cash .....

Actually, that's a point - where's Graham Hyde in that photo? I'm sure he was in the first-team squad by 1991-92 (he was 21 by then)...

Although Hyde had een drafted into the Cup Final squad by Big Ron the season before (Palmer was suspended) he made his debut early in 91/92 in the Zenith Data Systems Cup against Man City.

Turner was crap

testicles.

and the Pontins Central League trophey is bigger than the League Cup

The central league was founded as a competitor to the Football League and so had an equivelent trophy.

Ahh yes! Good times, indeed.

Poor old Stuart McCall - never really lived up to his billing when he came from Ipswich, I think.

Why did Wednesday and Francis part company? One minute he was about to given the freedom of the city, statue erected etc, etc and the next minute he was out the door! Seemd so crazy at the time.

Steve McCall

Its funny to think it now, but during that one bad season a lot of fans really turned on Trev. I remember the chant of "Want Francis out, Say we want Francis out" (to the tune of ooh ah Johnny Harkes). Bizare to think it now but of course Dave Richards' ego took over and we ended up with Pleat.

Edited by George

In the most recent stint as a player for us, he was crap,

Still testicles.

What happened?

Went to Leyton Orient as part of the Chris Bart Williams deal. Dont forget we had Marlon Beresford coming through too and Turner had one eye on a coaching career.

We really were poo pooe at Gillingham that day. Chris Stringer had a blinder in goal to keep the score down! Pathetic.

The next day was special. Desite Phil King singing.

Remember Des scroing in front of the Kop? the crowd went bonkers.

Of course you all remember who managed the Premier League All Stars that day don't you?